Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
It is the last Leupold I own as I peddled the rest in recent years. Figured it would be fine on my 20 lb 6 BR for fun shooting.

Took it out yesterday after sitting since last fall where it shot dead center and was super accurate shooting a tiny ragged hole. I actually aim at a bullet hole and pile the others into same hole.

When it was shot yesterday group was 1/4" to the left. Wondered why POI moved as this rifle is very very consistent. Suspected the scope right away. After several shots to ensure group position, I gave it one click right. NOTHING happened. Shot a few more shots with the bullets adding to same group position 1/4" left. Gave it another click right and it jumped to the right 1/2". Subsequent shots had the POI jump back to the center of the target. This sort of thing is crazy and very frustrating for a $1200 dollar optic.

I would bet it I were to rotate the windage and elevation knobs lock to lock 8 or 10 times the grease would be distributed and it would track better. I was advised by Leupold to do that with a VX-3 4.5-14 x50 LR with similar problem and it worked. (sold it soon thereafter as I had no faith in it). Glad I don't use this rifle for competition. Now pondering the sale of the last Leupold for something I can twist and KNOW it will move POI appropriately.

Now I feel better but still disgusted........

Last edited by Azshooter; 06/28/19.
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
As a retired toolmaker I have always had the practice taking the backlash out of any threaded adjustment. Even with new, high quality machinery it's mandatory for an accurate move. Turning a right hand thread left, turn past the desired setting, then dial back into it. It is even recommended to tune a stringed instrument the same way.

Is it necessary with scope that have spring loaded erectors, dual spring loaded erectors, etc etc. I don't know But it is my practice to adjust a scope the same as I would a manual milling machine, by taking the backlash out of the screw.

Now, I'm not taking up for Leupold or any other, & it may not help in all instances, but in this particular scenario...... it more than likely would worked & no problem would have shown up.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
1/4" POI shift is the fuggin scopes fault when going from Fall conditions to Summer.................right. You shooting in a wind tunnel? Indoor range?? Hell, if I don't watch my wind flags...........I'd be sending back all my scopes for 1/4" POI shifts.

This Leupold Bash is becoming as pathetic as the "Kavanaugh Kluster F***"

You all need to get out and shoot more.

And LEUPOLD Sucks..........I know. If this is the first time you've not had a windage adjustment on a Leupold move correctly, I'd say you haven't shot much.

In any event, sounds like a pretty minor ordeal.............You better send the scope back to Leupy ASAP

Last edited by screaminweasil; 06/28/19.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
HOLY SCHIT!!! A quarter inch! I'm not sure how you made it through the day with a scope like that.

Last edited by tzone; 06/28/19.

Camp is where you make it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Wind Right to Left @ 4.3mph.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Probably not the scopes fault............he just forgot to adjust for his "bungholious effect"..................classic mistake

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunzo
As a retired toolmaker I have always had the practice taking the backlash out of any threaded adjustment. Even with new, high quality machinery it's mandatory for an accurate move. Turning a right hand thread left, turn past the desired setting, then dial back into it. It is even recommended to tune a stringed instrument the same way.

Is it necessary with scope that have spring loaded erectors, dual spring loaded erectors, etc etc. I don't know But it is my practice to adjust a scope the same as I would a manual milling machine, by taking the backlash out of the screw.

Now, I'm not taking up for Leupold or any other, & it may not help in all instances, but in this particular scenario...... it more than likely would worked & no problem would have shown up.

interesting and very good advice

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
^^^^^^ that.

Glad to see gunzo brought that topic up. JB (Mule Deer) did a RIFLE mag article way back in '07 (#230) after he was turned on to this technique by benchrest gunsmith and shooter friend of his. It's worked enough for me when I've needed it that I now just routinely do 5 clicks past then back to my desired settings.

Last edited by EZEARL; 06/28/19.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Couldn’t be the load, or the wind, or different lighting conditions, or the shooter. No a .25 shift has to be the scope. And another Lemming goes over the cliff.

Last edited by battue; 06/28/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If your ready to give it away I'll take it. I'll pay the shipping cost of course but you know you'd feel better knowing that thing is out of your life for good. We don't even know each other so you wouldn't have to worry about running into this unfaithful leupold ever again. Let me know when your ready to move forward.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by EZEARL
^^^^^^ that.

Glad to see gunzo brought that topic up. JB (Mule Deer) did a RIFLE mag article way back in '07 (#230) after he was turned on to this technique by benchrest gunsmith and shooter friend of his. It's worked enough for me when I've needed it that I now just routinely do 5 clicks past then back to my desired settings.

Originally Posted by Showdog75
If your ready to give it away I'll take it. I'll pay the shipping cost of course but you know you'd feel better knowing that thing is out of your life for good. We don't even know each other so you wouldn't have to worry about running into this unfaithful leupold ever again. Let me know when your ready to move forward.

Probably works better than the adjust and bang on it with a screwdriver method?? smile

Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Interesting comments gentlemen. I agree lots of reasons why a rifle could get 1/4" off after sitting for a few months.

There was no wind yesterday morning. Also had to move a SWFA 3-15 one click windage on another rifle, it moved the POI precisely without any issues.

Now I know that this scope has shown that it requires freeing up the erector system, I will give twisting past and back to desired position a try. Too bad it has to be that way.......

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
1/4”??? I couldn’t shoot a quarter inch on a good day! That’s why I am a non-competitor. LOL

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by WAM
1/4”??? I couldn’t shoot a quarter inch on a good day! That’s why I am a non-competitor. LOL

He noted he was shooting a 20 pound rifle in 6BR.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Originally Posted by WAM

Me neither

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
However, some have arrived to the forgone conclusion it is always Leupold. Suggestion is a compromising mistress that needs to be watched.

A scope that has previously been super accurate, on this one day doesn’t equal its past standard, so it automatically becomes the weak link. Not the shooter, load, etc,etc. Let’s not shoot it again and find a baseline. No, let’s post up a negative slam on Leupold.

Last edited by battue; 06/29/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Since taking the backlash out of any thread is standard I wonder, why don't the manufacturers
enlighten us?
This is pretty basic machine tool 101.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The backlash comments on an optic are comical at best... I suppose a backlash stop along with the zero stop will be the next release for scope manufacturers...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EZEARL
^^^^^^ that.

Cool ....... I did not know that trick. Filed away for future use. smile

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Not sure if I learned it from my Dad or read it somewhere but I have been following Gunzos procedures for as long as I can remember. Not only the turn through and then back method but we would also tap on the turrets with a penny or tiny brass hammer. This was when most scopes did not have click adjustments. When other shooters would watch us twisting and tapping they though it was some kind of weird ritual to make the rifle more accurate. I guess it was.

I hope more people sell their almost new scopes for being a quarter of an inch off. Keeps the prices lower.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

460 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,129 guests, and 1,174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,168
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.