-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd vote for the ghrohmann #1 as well, but I can't now as that would put me in agreement with that danged flatlander Brad! (grin)

troutfly summed it up nicely for me.

and yeah JimF, welcome back (dang more agreement with Brad), since when did you get concerned about the weight of items in your pack? (grin)

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1akhunter
I'd vote for the ghrohmann #1 as well, but I can't now as that would put me in agreement with that danged flatlander Brad! (grin)

troutfly summed it up nicely for me.

and yeah JimF, welcome back (dang more agreement with Brad), since when did you get concerned about the weight of items in your pack? (grin)

Welllll.......I'm gettin' old ya know and I'm thinkin' about making an effort to lighten my gear a touch......

Helium filled scopes, nanofilament fishing line, that sorta thing........crazy

JimF

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Love that Ghrohman design, but wish it was in high carbon steel like the old ones instead of stainless. Can these be had in carbon steel?

As for what to use. A fillet type kniffe as mentioned before is nice for going around bones. But reality is that any good steel that stays sharp and works gets the nod.

People uses stone knives at one time to do boning chores. We are lucky to have so many choices.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by elkcreek
Love that Grohmann design, but wish it was in high carbon steel like the old ones instead of stainless. Can these be had in carbon steel?

Absolutely. Have it built just the way you want it.

Here are the options for the #1: .......... LINK. (Grohmann factory website.)

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Wow. I didn't know it came in a real steel. Well that put's it on the to get list. Thanks.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Walker, thanks I think... I need another knife like Imelda Marcos needs a pair of shoes, but CS flat grind is prolly gonna cause me to set loose the dogs of credit!

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think you'll like it, 1akhunter. My only regret has been that I didn't order the overlap sheaths for any of mine, but I intend to remedy that. Some think they're ugly, I know, but the added security aspect appeals to me, in my old age. blush

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
i always have a 3-bladed folding stockman's knife in my pocket and my marbles in my pack. I also have a shot bladed rapala fillet knife in there as well. very light and handy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
i always have ... my marbles in my pack. ... very light and handy.

Steelhead, do you have any comment? laugh

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just started to order the over lap sheath for my non-grohmann knives. They have no problem with that at all. I just received my KOA "Alaska Hunter" back from them, the sheath they made for it is every bit as good as the ones they make for their own blades. Actually the sheaths are made for them by another local company. Just contact Grohmann and they will take care of it.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's good to know, troutfly. Thanks.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Those new to the Grohman best be worried about the handle to blade junction... Until you are very familiar with it you will find human blood in your cuts... The blade rides in an entirely different attitude from a standard blade (way forward of where a typical shape puts it) and it will get ya... I know several very experienced folks that tried it and despised it, in spite of how good it feels in the hand. And I am one of them... With scars by way of explanation.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Those new to the Grohman best be worried about the handle to blade junction... Until you are very familiar with it you will find human blood in your cuts...

No need for that to happen, ... ever. You just need to learn to use the lanyard that comes with the knife. I've always thought Grohmann should include directions on its use with every knife. It sure is simple enough.

The lanyard supplied with the knife is much longer than is needed, the way I prefer to use it. Shorten the lanyard so that the loop forms a circle roughly 2" to 2.5" in diameter. (You'll have to experiment to find just the right length for your hand.) Slide just one finger (middle or ring finger) into the loop from the underside, and then grasp the handle, as usual. When the loop is adjusted properly, you won't ever have to worry about your fingers sliding too far forward, and getting cut. The lanyard won't allow them to get that far.

I slide my ring finger into the loop when I want to be able to lay my index finger along the spine of the blade. Otherwise, my middle finger is in the loop, instead. I've found this to be a very comfortable and secure way to use these knives. Hope that helps.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
No problem. From the initial contact through to getting my KOA back in the new sheath they were very professional.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I always chuckle when I see someone removing the lanyard. When I was a medic in the service, I could always count on doing a suture job or two on guys who didn't listen or believe the reasoning behind the lanyard. We did tend to change the lanyard to para-cord.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'tis the off hand that gets the cut... The blade is not where your brain says it should be. If you have used the knife enough to train yourself around it you will be fine. I have one and hate it. I know a number of experienced guys that are in exactly the same boat. The sad thing is I am responsible for the knives many of them got to try.

I am hardly a novice around a knife and many believed me when I told them how much I liked the knife. I regret it.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Macrabbit I was refering to the fillet knife as the light and handy one. The marbles is by no means a light knife.

Last edited by mud_bogger; 04/26/07.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
'tis the off hand that gets the cut... The blade is not where your brain says it should be.

Well, my brain just says, "Don't whittle on your fingers". So, I don't.

I have one and hate it.

Better melt it down, Art, before someone else gets hurt. wink

Or, ...... you could give it to a one-armed man. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Radical knife designs are fine for those that use them slowly and are not inclined to go by long-tested practices to cut stuff up. I have a lot more time behind a hunting knife than most. Lots of folks are inclined to stand and watch me take stuff apart. I doubt anyone that has watched me take a critter apart would suggest I am new to the game.

I have also watched a lot of people of all experience levels work a blade. Cutting the off side hand is easy to do if the knife is not built like a standard straight blade. The belly on the Grohman takes that to an extreme.

Give me a simple, small, straight blade (3 1/2" or so) with a fair amount of drop and I will be happy, even when disassembling moose. Make it with great steel (the Grohman is barely in the mediocre range IME) and I am plumb tickled...
art

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is a big difference between a field knife and a boning knife. The field knife is a short, small, functional multi-purpose knife primarily used for gutting and skinning, whereas the boning knife tends to be longer and straighter. I use the Grohman for a field knife for WT deer hunting and have not found it wanting for just that, but it is definitely not a good style knife for boning large muscle.

I was a commercial meat cutter for over twenty years so I have alot of knifes here for just about any purpose. I grabbed a few for pics sake. cool

[Linked Image]

The knife on top is a large boning. Dexter/Russell is the brand. Perfect for the job, but too big for packin'. Next down is a commercial skinner that we used for skinning mink on our ranch. Again, well suited for the task, but a little big. The Grohman is a compromise and is a favourite sporting knife. If I had to do alot of boning in the field, I would probably carry the bottom knife. It is an older Frost/Mora. Short, stiff/straight blade, lightweight, and good steel. This knife with the Grohman would be a very good field combo.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

305 members (14idaho, 16penny, 16gage, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 48 invisible), 2,057 guests, and 1,181 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,992
Posts18,481,107
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.