Hop To
D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Need a bit of advice here.

Last summer, I hung up a hummingbird feeder in my yard. We had hummers buzzing all over the place, and we had to refill the feeder a couple of times a week. Amazing little guys.

This past May, I took my feeder out, and cleaned it well. Then I bought some of the powdered nectar mix, mixed it per the directions, refilled the feeder where it hung last summer, then waited for the miniature helicopters to return. Nada. A few visited the feeder very briefly, but they did not hang around. After a week or so, I poured out the nectar, mixed up more, and refilled it. Now we here not even getting hard stares from hummers. They are simply ignoring the feeder. Any thoughts from experienced hummingbird folks about what is wrong, or what i can do to bring back the little guys to our feeder?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Fire ants

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It's that #$@&% powdered crap. Throw that poop away. Mix your own using cane sugar, mixed 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. Boil the water, mix in the sugar and allow to cool to room temp. Do not add coloring or ANYthing else.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

not an expert........but

keep it out & with clean nectar..........

they'll be back to find it.....

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Just going to fill mine.......

as Rocky said......cane sugar......

I don't measure the sugar......

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Make your own hummer food using sugar. We tried the store bought liquid this year and they wouldn't eat that either so are making our own again which works great.

Use Rocky's recipe.

Last edited by 700LH; 06/29/19.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Dave, I've had similar results. No using the powder but premixed stuff. In the past label stated dextrose, this year simply sugar. Wonder if they changed to fructose. They still feed but as only a short stop while headed somewhere else.

Rocky, I wonder is sucrose is too much of a good thing for them. Make them too active/aggressive.

Maybe Birdy will have a view.

D
Daveman Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
Alright, I just cleaned out the feeder again, and am going to try Rocky's recipe. I hope it works. We used premix last year and it worked well, but this new powder mix is NOT going over well.

We'll see.

Last edited by Daveman; 06/29/19. Reason: spelling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Birds numbers seem to be down from past years. I don't know if it was the late cold spring or what. I'm down a good 70%. I'm hoping the ones I have will raise a couple of broods. I like having them around.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BTW, the best cleaner for your feeders is a dilute solution of white vinegar. I use about the same ratio as the sugar water - 1 part white vinegar to 4 parts water. Vinegar is an anti-bacterial, and it removes hard water scale. Put an ounce or so in the feeder, shake vigorously and scrape out any visible gunk with a bottle brush. Rinse the feeder well.

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Daveman,

We are experiencing the same thing. 2 feeders and refilling them every two days, We have seen very few birds. Changed the feed a couple of times but still only seeing the occasional bird.

Lefty

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It's that #$@&% powdered crap. Throw that poop away. Mix your own using cane sugar, mixed 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. Boil the water, mix in the sugar and allow to cool to room temp. Do not add coloring or ANYthing else.

This exactly ! They are all over mine pretty much all day long. No powdered junk.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, we get lots of humming birds every year, both nesters and migrants. I buy cane sugar in 25-lb bags and mix it with water (from our well) at the above mentioned 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. I mix enough at one time to fill all the feeders once. Since the birds don't empty them all at once, I keep the extra in the refrigerator until it's needed.

I do make it a point to wash the feeders before I fill them each time I, but I just use a little Dawn dish soap and scrub everything with a brush. They get emptied quickly enough that there is just not much need for decalcification.

We are kind of in the middle of an arid short-grass valley here, and I think that our big cottonwoods and other native trees, along with the availability of water from my drip irrigation here in our yard, work together to attract lots of birds--not just humming birds.

They make an entertaining diversion for an old fart like me. grin

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by tikkanut

Just going to fill mine.......

as Rocky said......cane sugar......

I don't measure the sugar......

Sugar is poison. Heard it on the far. smirk

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Ok, I live not too far from Rocky, and am putting out the cane sugar mix, and getting very little traffic. Still trying to figure that out.

I'm trying to get a few really good bird pix. That is harder with no birds.

Oops---just had one.

Last edited by denton; 06/29/19.

Be not weary in well doing.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They can be weird. I have two identical feeders hanging on my deck. The past few days, they'd sucked the south one to a few ounces but hardly touched the north one. So I swapped them. And I'll be darned if they didn't then go right back to the one they like. How they can tell beats me.

Thinking that maybe something had crawled into one and died (tiny bees and such do that.) But nope. Both pristine. I cleaned them both anyway, refilled with newly made sugar water, and rehung. We'll see.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (1badf350, 10ring1, 1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,542 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,333
Posts18,487,621
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.