Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
So I have a Harry Lawson interarms mark x rifle that probably was from the 1970s that is an amazing rifle. I was wondering if anyone here has any knowledge about Harry Lawson using the mark x actions and what the general consensus is about the Mark X actions?

Last edited by Boxerdog; 07/01/19.

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Commercial 98s of varying quality depending upon date of manufacture with good, modern steel. I have some in LH and they clean up quite nicely. Tell us more about the Lawson specimen. Pics?

The way life should be.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
While they are very serviceable, they are very crudely machined in comparison to the FN commercial actions. The BEST indepth descriptions of the Mk X, as well as virtually all the other commerical mauser rifles and actions that I've seen is the book by Frank DeHaas " "The Bolt Action." If I wanted a rifle based on a commercial mauser action, the commercial FN action would be my only choice. DeHaas talks VERY highly of the FNs and based on my observations, I completely agree.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
For those of us seeking an affordable Mauser 98 action the Zastava wins. Wish I had the sheckels for a GMA.

The way life should be.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Agree with earlier poster..FNs are a dandy action, however Ive had a couple Mark X and haven't found anything to complain about them, and both have a considerable round count under their belts...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I currently have two customs based on Mark X actions and am very fond of both. Both were customized by very good gunsmiths, and both work every bit as well as my customs based on pre-64 Model 70s.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
SOME of the Mark X actions were as nicely finished at the factory as FN's. The late gunsmith Dave Gentry, a 98 nut (he made them in various sizes, including left-handed actions) had a Mark X he showed me that was very well-built. But I would also assume the typical level of machining on Mark X's was due to having to undersell FN to get more business.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
B
I own several FN's, and Whitworth Mark X's. I find no difference in finish and quality... MOF a couple of the Whit's are really nice... :-)

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you look at the Zastava 98 clones you'll see fit and finish issues.
Still good basis for a custom?
Possibly, but I remember an old article by John B.
Look at what you can buy in a new factory, or semi custom like a Nosler and the customs don't make much sense.
However, to a Looney, be they into firearms , or cars, or motorcycles, or.....
Sense has got nothing to do with anything.....

I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father but by me. John 14:6
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had a couple, and also five (IIRC!) FNs. My impression is that the Zastavas are built to the standard demanded by the importer of the day. A lot of the roughness seems to be below the stock line. One Mark X had a truly horrendous trigger reminiscent of a Mosin Nagant, and checkering that looked like I did it.

Due to the dearth of affordable FNs at the time, my late brother had a 7mm RM built by Brown on a magnum Mark X, and it was (is) a fine rifle in every respect, and they left the adjustable factory trigger in place. Killed my first WV buck with it, as my son was using my only CF rifle at the time.

Nowadays, with prices usually about the same it seems, I'll take an FN over the Serbian rifle most of the time, just because, although every Mark X I've seen has had a genuine steel hinged floorplate in place of the slide-off or alloy ones often found on FNs.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
It seems as if it depends on who is running the machinery on the day any particular MkX is made as to how smooth or well polished it comes out.
I have had a handful come through my shop that seemed to be cut with "case hardened corn-cobs" and others that were as nice as any FN Commercial action I ever saw.
Most are between the 2 extremes.

However in 50 years I have never seen one that was poorly made, as far as the steel and heat treatment goes. As good as any standard Mauser and better then many.

Even the very rough ones polish up well if you know how to do it, and many rifles made with them have turned out VERY nice and reliable. I like military actions because of the classic look, but I would not turn down a MKX for any of my own rifles either. In fact I have 2 rifles of my own that are made with them.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've had two, one the Alaskan in .375 H&H which had a problem and the other a .300 Win. Mag. that I'm still kicking myself for letting it go.

The .375 looked good but the top edge of the feed ramp was so rough that it looked like the top jaw of a great white sharp and left very deep gouges in the sides of the brass. Kind of sorry I got rid of that one as accuracy was very good.

The .300 mag. was something else. Either the previous owner altered the original stock or restocked but regardless of which it now looked like a pre-war European Mauser complete with double set triggers. It seemed to be quite a bit lighter than normal and recoil was a bit snappy but I liked the rifle. Guy at the range liked it too and stuck enough cash under my nose that I let him have it. The only other Mauser acton I've owned that was slicker than that Mark X is an M98 Husqvarna with the FN action. I need to get that one D&Ted so I can put a scope on it and see if it will shoot.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
F
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
F
I own a number of Mark X's and am switching to this platform for all of my bolt rifles. The two rifle battery is 375 Ruger and 30 06 that can do anything I need it to world-wide and the ballistics are very similar for both rounds. Also have a 450 Bushmaster and .308. The reason I am using the Mark X Standard Size action for the 450 Bushmaster and .308 is parts interchangeability between rifles and in the real world, short actions lighter weight and faster bolt time amount to nothing in the field.

The quality does very between all 4 of these actions. The Whitworth action is the best, an early Mark X probably from around 72 is next best, and the other 2 late model Mark X's are basically functional starter kits for what has the potential to be as good as the others, just takes a lot of work in the smoothing and polishing arena. All of them are accurate, zero issues in this area. Only the 30 06 has a factory mark x barrel on it, the others are custom.

I have a collection of various other mauser actions and I have to say the pre WWII German Mauser military actions can be outstanding with the South American 98's consistently good. The FN is consistently excellent across the board.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Slightly off topic, but I handled a used Zastava M70 a few days ago and I really liked the looks of it. Looked like it was almost brand new, did some researching and nobody has them in stock. I guess they were discontinued also?

W
WTF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Jericho
Slightly off topic, but I handled a used Zastava M70 a few days ago and I really liked the looks of it. Looked like it was almost brand new, did some researching and nobody has them in stock. I guess they were discontinued also?

I think the Zastava site still lists them but I dont think anyone is importing them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Zastava makes good, solid actions. During the 1970's Mauser thought highly enough of them that they had Zastava build them with the Mauser logo !

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
B
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Here is my Lawson

Attached Images
lawson.jpg (84.38 KB, 119 downloads)

Memento mori ( remember you must die) enjoy every day for tomorrow you may not wake

You can always borrow and pay the money back but you can never get the time back

Everyone hunter should own a fine rifle, life is short.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

353 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 43 invisible), 2,510 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,022
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.