Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
N
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
N
I recently received and accepted a quote from a roofing contractor. I have to choose what kind of shingles i want, would appreciate some opinions. I am in North Dakota and carry good insurance, my current roof is the original and is 20 years old. Here is what I am being offered:

Limited Lifetime Certainteed Landmark Class A 110 MPH Wind Warranty - Standard

Malarkey Vista Class A, Class 3 Rubberized (40 year) Impact 130 MPH Wind Warranty - $820 more than standard

Certainteed Northgate Class A Class 4 High Impact (50 year) 130 MPH Wind Warranty - $1480 more than standard

Just wondering if the extras are worth it. If the new roof lasts another 20 years, it will likely outlast me (or at least my ownership). Curious how much better the latter two would hold up to hail.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Owen's Corning, they stand up to wind better than any others I've seen. And I've seen a lot of them.

"Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you'll be a mile from them, and you'll have their shoes."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I put Certainteed standard 3 tab single on my cabin in NW Ontario 17 years ago. They've held up beautifully over that time and still look good. I'd never even consider another brand of single in the future. They're made in Shakopee Minnesota, just outside the Twin Cities.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
GAF Timberline

Owens Corning Oakridge

I have had those 2 brands on 2 out of the 3 houses I have owned.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Check with your insurance to see if they offer a discounted rate by going to a class 4 shingle.... many of the major insurance providers do... some as substantial as 30%.

Owens Corning, GAF, and Certanteed make great C4 shingles.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
ID buy a standard roof then buy a Fieldcraft or Montana with my extra cash.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Malarkey? Really?

Who would name a company with the slang for bull shidtz?

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
J
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
J
Read the fine print in the warranties carefully. They don't cover much.

Certainteed has been in class action suits in the past.

Jerry

Minnesota; Land of 10,000 Taxes
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I did my large home with a 50 year rated shingle six years ago. Cost a bunch more up front but I made up the difference in three years.

I also had my get away, lake home re-roofed with steel two years ago. While I'm enjoying that, it will take a bit longer to work out the cost differential. Point is; It will cost more for any kind of upgrade to keep you warm and dry.

Your property value (taxes) will increase.

I consider these last two improvements to be lasting beyond the dates on my grave marker. The quest for some form of immortality is never ending, I guess.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Jerryv
Read the fine print in the warranties carefully. They don't cover much.

Certainteed has been in class action suits in the past.

Jerry

Yes! and I cashed in that one to have one of my other roofs re done. Got back about nine hundred from the Minnesota company! It was one of the easiest deals I ever worked with, no mess, no fuss. It really does pay to keep your receipts!!!!!!!!!!!

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
We just did the Malarkey legacy or legacy xl. Our roof is 57-60 square. The quote was $17k. We paid less than $900 out of pocket for the upgrade. Our insurance dropped $900 the first year. Of course the savings are amortized but we will come out ahead after the first year.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Shingles are cheap compared to the labor, buy the best and cry once.

Unless you’re selling it soon.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Depends on how old you are and how long you plan to stay in your house. I like buying a really good shingle. What kinds of wind do you have? I've had good luck with Malarkey. As has been said, call your insurance company and see if any of them get you a discount. What ever you get, if you have a fair amount of wind, ask to have them hand tabbed.

Marlarkey is a big company and in the 29 years I sold building materials we'd sell them by the TL. As 163 said, you want the contractor certified for what ever shingle he uses. Most companies have certain requirements to warranty the roof. For example, they may require you use 3 items from the company, like the roofing felt, and whatever. Make sure he meets what ever those requirements are for your warranty to be good for all that time.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Tracker
Online Shocked
Campfire Tracker
Many moons ago, I sold lumber and shingles for a living, well to pay for college. Anyways, I would recommend Owens Corning and at least a 30 year rated shingle. From my experience, Owens Corning was easy to work with if needed. I helped a contractor one time with a claim he filed against them. All he needed was his receipts, and since everything was bought on his account, it was easy to pull up. He said they were easy to work with and had no complaints with them.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The roof on my house is metal.
It was put on about 125 years ago.

It just needs a coat of paint every decade or so.
It has withstood every hurricane to hit NC since 1895.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I’ve been a roofing contractor for 40 years. Installed thousands. Seen the good, bad, n ugly. Certainteed is the best brand of shingle made today. I recommend them to all my customers. GAF has had countless problems in recent years. OC is not in the same league quality wise IMO. Don’t know a thing about Mularkey? Ask about Certainteed Landmark PRO shingles w upgraded warranty. Easy and inexpensive to upgrade the warranty on the Landmark or Landmark PRO by using Certainteed specified felt, membranes, starters ...etc... If your contractor is certified by Certainteed it is easier. If your contractor will storm nail (6 nails per shingle) either of those shingles you’ll get the most bang for your buck. Make sure you have proper ventilation and any shingle will last longer. Good luck.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
just had the third set of shingles put on the roof, original set in 1976.

the wind & hail back last february done us in for sure.

leaks everywhere. and not just in a few places.

State Farm ins. trtd us right.

and so did the roofers.

the wind, the wind.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Gus
just had the third set of shingles put on the roof, original set in 1976.

the wind & hail back last february done us in for sure.

leaks everywhere. and not just in a few places.

State Farm ins. trtd us right.

and so did the roofers.

the wind, the wind.

Time for a metal roof

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Certainteed Landmark....We do 100 residential roofs a year and most are Landmark or Landmark PRO.Use all the c-teed accessories to get the full warranty.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Time for a metal roof

X2

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (007FJ, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 1234, 12344mag, 160user, 55 invisible), 2,469 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,074
Posts18,482,669
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.