Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

One of the problems with a country as geographically big as USA is statements like "hunting is declining". sorry numbers show it is NATION WIDE. I grew up in the east and it is declining, more and land not being open, lower animal numbers/success etc.

West is now the "in thing" and with the economy being great, more money and possibilities open. It may be shrinking in the east, but if you look at things like tag/points needed, how far out outfitters are booked, hunting in the west is growing.

I see shows like HUSH and Randy as just the next evolution of people like chuck Adams. They are doing the same, but to a faster availability, more widespread media.

Yeah, the probably shouldn't show trailhead signs, but scenery signs of a draw or mountain, probably not as identifiable. No more so than the pictures that are in magazines from "the good old days", just a wider audience.

Yes, maybe they need to adjust, but it's today.

There's also other tools that make "remote scouting" easier for traveling hunters, everything form google earth to OnX type systems, allow an eastern person to scout the west without boots on the ground.

GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
It is a simple fact that the population has increased significantly thus a larger pool of potential hunters. Social media is a fact of life and there are those that exploit its' potential as providers and consumers of content. I would love to be able to park at a trailhead and walk to where game was ample and have the area to myself but I no longer know where that spot is. Times change. I have found that snowshoeing into the back country hunting predators is a very solitary pursuit. Lots of folks go home when it gets cold.

Edited to add that I would attribute much of the decline in hunt quality in the west to the widespread use of ATVs expanding the domain of road hunters. Noisy, stinky machines that bring the weak, lame and lazy to spots that they otherwise would never see.

mike r

Last edited by lvmiker; 07/02/19.

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by TomM1
On the flip side, I see less and less hunters in the east, including the large tracts of public land.

Well schit, if ya cant beat them, join them. I'll start planning my eastern hunts now...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SLM
If hunters numbers are in a decline I’m not seeing it in NM.

Seems we’re breaking application numbers every year.

Most of our hunter safety classes fill up within hours and I see more people in the field every year.

The orange army in PA is drastically declining, hunters ed classes that used to have 30-40 students have single digits in some cases. I hunted almost every legal day in Pa for spring turkey, many different properties public and private, never met another hunter, period. Last year ran into one. Deer season is more , but not even close to my early years . The economy is good, plenty of expendable income, the once in a lifetime trip can now be an annual event. Since I didn’t draw where I was planning out west, and really want to take my son I might just hunt the PA big woods.

MM

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mitchellmountain
Originally Posted by SLM
If hunters numbers are in a decline I’m not seeing it in NM.

Seems we’re breaking application numbers every year.

Most of our hunter safety classes fill up within hours and I see more people in the field every year.

The orange army in PA is drastically declining, hunters ed classes that used to have 30-40 students have single digits in some cases. I hunted almost every legal day in Pa for spring turkey, many different properties public and private, never met another hunter, period. Last year ran into one. Deer season is more , but not even close to my early years . The economy is good, plenty of expendable income, the once in a lifetime trip can now be an annual event. Since I didn’t draw where I was planning out west, and really want to take my son I might just hunt the PA big woods.

MM

My last yr hunting in Colorado we ran into a lot of guys from Pennsylvania. Saw one fella get his first elk, he was like a kid on Christmas morning. I told them that was one hell of drive, they said they only stopped for gas and food. Great guys glad they got themselves an elk.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Judman
Watch it, he's gonna pm you!!! 😂

Haha did you get the PM too?

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Connecticut has no shortage of Deer and Turkey to hunt. Plenty of Public land. Fairly easy Private land to gain access to in the Southern part of the state. Hell you can even use a crossbow in Archery season. When they opened up the Archery season to crossbow hunters the woods got flooded. Bear season maybe coming soon too.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I don't know if it could be attributed to Randy, HUSH, Eastman's or whomever else

I can't speak specifically to HUSH Or Eastman's, but I would bet wherever they have been the pressure increased tremendously. I do know that Randy posted one of his smiling "Here we are" videos with a panoramic view of the area I have hunted for over 50 years. Not only the view of the area that gives it away to even the most casual observer, but he posted a video of the trailhead sign, giving the location away that even a street bum in Los Angeles could find it.

Worse than that, the area was inundated the next fall with people from all over America, hunting Randy's "secret" spot. That was several years ago, and if you you think they only come the year after the release of the video, you are wrong, they have been coming every year since...

I hope some of these guys read this. What is so difficult about not showing details that give away a specific location? Giving details on a specific location only ensures crowds and a negative experience for all who hunt there including the newcomers who may be turned off for good. I can hear it now: "I tried hunting once and it sucked, there were people behind every tree." In fact, I have heard it before in my own hunting area after some clown in a "major outdoor magazine" wrote an article about it. Why not educate new hunters on how to scout new locations and what to look for? In other words, don't hand them a fish, teach them to fish.

If your goal is to teach new hunters, the most valuable lesson is not "where to go" it's what to look for and how to find your own hunting spots.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
This is very similar to what happened years ago with Mark Henckel, Outdoors Writer for the Billings Gazette. Henckel would find out about really good hunting or fishing spots, write up an article with far too many details, and soon after the spot would be inundated with big city Montana A-bags. The guy died around ten years ago, and even today when his name is brought up in certain circles, it's met with curses.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by smokepole

If your goal is to teach new hunters, the most valuable lesson is not "where to go" it's what to look for and how to find your own hunting spots.

Interesting you should say that... and I agree completely. I don’t know of anyone who does that better than Newberg... he’s got entire series devoted to the use of technology and “e-scouting”. He has podcasts and videos on the different phases of elk hunting, and what terrain to look for depending on where the elk are at in this cycle. I’ve referred this series to several new elk hunters... who have absolutely no desire to find the next “hot unit”... they simply want to learn about elk hunting.

I’ve never watched a hunting show looking for a particular area to hunt... but I definitely appreciate much of the info being relayed. We used to get info like that from magazines.... visa vis the Chuck Adams reference. I devoured Field and Stream, Outdoor Life, American Hunter, and the like when I was a kid. I read everything I could find on hunting, I drove the local library staff nuts. Now, magazines seem to be bullschitt advertising and ambiguous fluff pieces (no offense JB and Phil). The content just isn’t there. This is simply the evolution of the way info is relayed... it ain’t going away. You can cry about it, or you can try to stay ahead of it...

I find it kind of interesting that one of the primary complaints is “they wrecked my area”..... if that truly was the case.... how do these guys continue to hunt those same areas year after year, and be successful? I’ve seen Newberg kill elk and deer in many of the same units for the past 6 or 7 seasons... on public land... that he has been obvious about. He obviously hasn’t pissed too much in his own pool.... or he’d be moving on to more of “your” areas.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Dogshooter

I find it kind of interesting that one of the primary complaints is “they wrecked my area”..... if that truly was the case.... how do these guys continue to hunt those same areas year after year, and be successful? I’ve seen Newberg kill elk and deer in many of the same units for the past 6 or 7 seasons... on public land... that he has been obvious about. He obviously hasn’t pissed too much in his own pool....

You are assuming he is swimming in "his own pool". I'm sure he doesn't get spots from the very folks allowed to grace his majestie's show...lol. Just like they all magically buy the same gear he's sponsored by....hmm quid pro quo?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I’m not assuming anything..., watch the show... you see a lot of the same public ground from year to year. He’s definitely swimming in his own pool a lot.

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
These shows are not about hunter recruitment, it’s about making $$ plain and simple..

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
So what does Newberg have to say about it? Does he look at like he's doing everyone a service or what? I don't have a dog in the fight, just curious.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
So what does Newberg have to say about it? Does he look at like he's doing everyone a service or what? I don't have a dog in the fight, just curious.

In his mind he is a crusader for public land DIY hunters.

In reality he is a rich guy that found a way to make money off his past time. Nothing wrong with that. As Judman said "These shows are not about hunter recruitment, it’s about making $$ plain and simple.."

But make no mistake about it Randy is in it for Randy, anyone that thinks different is a fool. His political alignment as far as I am concerned sucks! Honestly he is a politician personality wise. So I guess if you like that type of personality you might like him.

In fairness I will admit my bias, I am a staunch Conservative and dislike for those that do not support the 2nd Amendment first and foremost. I unlike Randy am unwilling to defend and support a Democrat in any way. I also do not and will not support BHA in any capacity.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by MontanaCreekHunter
Originally Posted by JGRaider

In his mind he is a crusader for public land DIY hunters.

In reality he is a rich guy that found a way to make money off his past time. Nothing wrong with that. As Judman said "These shows are not about hunter recruitment, it’s about making $$ plain and simple.."

But make no mistake about it Randy is in it for Randy, anyone that thinks different is a fool. His political alignment as far as I am concerned sucks! Honestly he is a politician personality wise. So I guess if you like that type of personality you might like Him

I don’t know about all of that. I think Randy had/has the best intentions for diy hunters, yes a big part of that is on the political side.. The fact that he is political proves to me he’s not in it fo himself or money, who needs that Ass ache!

He’s achieved what he set out to do, kudos to him.. my gripe is there is an effect, weather he planned on it or not I don’t know, but if this is the future of hunting it isn’t an improvement..

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
honestly I wouldn't give a damn but every time those guys go anywhere they have to show Telling landmarks of where they are exactly at. That's the part that bothers me.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Originally Posted by smokepole

Interesting you should say that... and I agree completely. I don’t know of anyone who does that better than Newberg... he’s got entire series devoted to the use of technology and “e-scouting”. He has podcasts and videos on the different phases of elk hunting, and what terrain to look for depending on where the elk are at in this cycle. I’ve referred this series to several new elk hunters... who have absolutely no desire to find the next “hot unit”... they simply want to learn about elk hunting.

Good point. I will give him credit for that.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
ctsmith Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
C
I think its this simple:

More location information = more viewers = more dollars.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lonny
Originally Posted by rosco1
Don’t even want to start with hush! They’ve single handedly ruined a unit in southern Idaho because it all has to be on YouTube you know, gotta make that buck I guess.

Then they wonder why they get harassed by fish and game and the locals.. I’m surprised their camp hasn’t been burned to the ground yet, but sadly it’s probably going to happen.

rosco you bring up a point that has crossed my mind more than once... I'm not real up on who is who among the Youtube hunting stars, but I do see the pictures of vehicles all decked out in camo-wraps and advertising whoever they are, along with all the sponsers. It all screams of "Look at us!"

If it were me, I'd be nervous as hell leaving my 50K truck plastered with advertising, sitting at the trailhead for a week.

I am the same as you. I don't advertise that I am driving a hunting truck. That truck spends too many nights in hotel parking lots and public places.
I don't want to be saying hey I got expensive optics and firearms in here.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
Page 6 of 11 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

331 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 1936M71, 37 invisible), 2,133 guests, and 1,112 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,744
Posts18,495,156
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.