Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 49 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 48 49
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
...My steel-framed touring bike weighs 33 pounds naked, add front and rear rack and four panniers; +20 pounds, add 40lbs of clothes, camping gear, bike tools, tubes, spare tire, laptop and water and you're looking at 90lbs give or take...

...left town...about 1130...

Couple suggestions:
Lighten the load.
Leave earlier, before the heat of the day sets in.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the south we would start about 2 hours after sunset and go until sunrise. It was a lot cooler at night.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
In the south we would start about 2 hours after sunset and go until sunrise. It was a lot cooler at night.

It would be damn scary traveling those two lane roads at night on a bicycle the way traffic is nowadays. 😳
Not to mention all the great scenery you’d miss.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/02/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Hey Mike, I am in Denver metro... if you pass within a 100 miles I can get you parts and stuff as a good friend owns a bike shop <grin>

Give a heads up here if that would work.

Ya got lite salt and powdered chocolate milk with ya?

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by bcolorado
Hey Mike, I am in Denver metro... if you pass within a 100 miles I can get you parts and stuff as a good friend owns a bike shop <grin>

Give a heads up here if that would work.

Ya got lite salt and powdered chocolate milk with ya?

God willing, ten - fourteen days or so. Lite salt? Ever since ya told me five-six years ago ain't been without it cool Chocolate milk, I use the liquid form but only full fat.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
It would be damn scary traveling those two lane roads at night on a bicycle the way traffic is nowadays.

The thing is, at night its not easy to tell what lane the vehicle is in approaching in your mirrors.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well I got it done cool It was bugging me to come just 25 miles from the NM line and turn away, but all day there was a storm cell training between here and there. I had given up but coming out of Walmart at 3:30 I checked and the cell had dissipated at last.

50 mile round trip in four hours and ten minutes, which is what can happen when your hauling only a few groceries and not four bags full of depleted uranium grin

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Day Nine: 50 miles, 435 total.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Awesome!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Awesome!

Ya, what other device would allow guys in their sixties victories like that? I just rode 400+ friggin miles from my front door through the heart of Comancheria clear to New Mexico.

The guy who invented the “safety bicycle” design should be dug up and awarded the Nobel Prize cool

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Awesome!

Ya, what other device would allow guys in their sixties victories like that? I just rode 400+ friggin miles from my front door through the heart of Comancheria clear to New Mexico.

The guy who invented the “safety bicycle” design should be dug up and awarded the Nobel Prize cool

Good thing there were no Comanches around to chase ya! 😜

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pal
Couple suggestions:
Lighten the load.

Sir, with an answer like that I guessing you’re all about helmets, those silly spadex outfits, and those horrible crotch pad shorts that after just a couple of days on the road let EVERYBODY anywhere you stop know exactly how yer sweaty a$$ crack and crotch smells.

I ain’t gonna argue with the helmet but I am at a loss to know how to lighten my bicycle. 33 pounds gets you a wonderfully compliant steel frame that just soaks up chipseal vibes.

Ortleib panniers rock 😎 mine have been in daily commuting use for five years and 10,000 plus miles with nary a bobble. Likewise the top-of-the-line Tubus racks. But that combo does come in at about 20lbs.

Two gallons of water out here is nonnegotiable, add another 16lbs. So I’m at 70lbs BEFORE I start adding tent, bag, clothes, tools etc. If you got any ideas, I’m all ears

Tks Captain Obvious grin Point of fact my best days ever have always started late morning, ride ‘till dark. I don’t even bother checking the forecast for temps anymore. I just assume it’s gonna be hot above the asphalt. Water, salt, calories and breaks as needed.

My single best day like this was 96 miles, noontime ‘till dark, when crossing Ohio in July of 2016. 90lb bike. Had I known how close a “Century” was I woulda pushed on another four miles.

Now that I’m getting the hang of it on this particular occasion I’m gonna shoot for 70 mile days next week.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Keep pedaling and may the winds come from behind the rest of the way.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lighten the load !

Went sheep hunting w two different guys that claimed we only needed one rifle. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Ok leave yours behind, even though my rifles are left hand bolt.

I’ve prolly more experience using a right hand bolt than either of those guys did using a left handed one. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mike likes his steel frame bike.

I like being armed in country 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Tks Captain Obvious...my best days ever have always started late morning...

Originally Posted by pal
Couple suggestions:
Lighten the load.

Sir, with an answer like that I guessing you’re all about helmets, those silly spadex outfits, and those horrible crotch pad shorts...If you got any ideas, I’m all ears

OK, instead of thinking up insulting responses, try actually listening to advice offered to help.

90 lbs of loaded bicycle? Waiting until 11:00 a.m. to begin crossing a desert? Come on! Use your head.

Last edited by pal; 07/03/19.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Mr. pal:
I would submit that Birdie knows a heck of a lot more about what he is doing than you. Remember, he rode from Tx. to NY and a considerable number of miles in Europe with pretty much the same outfit.
I myself ride a 50 pound Pashley that is not near affected by wind as a many pound lighter bike, remember this is not the TOF.

I did not find his response insulting, but I did see your post as coming from a condescending, self-righteous, know-it-all-prick, to be not only rude but inappropriate, targeted toward derailing this wonderful thread.

If you are dressed correctly and have the water, desert heat is not something to be terrified of, I am from the Deming, Lordsburg, Rodeo, Hachita, NM area where I have worked and played outside all my life so I feel I may know a bit about the desert.

The Birdwatcher is taking the time to keep us up to date and post pictures of an epic journey, he does not need the drivel that you posted. Sir, you should apologize to the Birdwatcher and then stay off of this thread.

Rock on Birdie!!!.

To All
Su Amigo Whistle

Last edited by whistle1; 07/03/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Golly grin

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
OK, instead of thinking up insulting responses, try actually listening to advice offered to help.

90 lbs of loaded bicycle? Waiting until 11:00 a.m. to begin crossing a desert? Come on! Use your head.

Sir, if you are a bicycle guy the tone of your responses strongly suggests you are one of those guys who self-righteously holds up traffic while dressed like a homosexual bondage submissive because after all, you’re riding fifty miles and that’s SERIOUS.

Or maybe not......

But here’s the deal, heavy as it is, steel is still the favored material for touring bikes because of the way it soaks up road vibration. And the rack/pannier combination I use is top of the line, likewise for a reason. So heavy touring bikes are common, it’s on hills where you feel it.

Dressed for the sun I’ve never worried much about the time of day. I picked up a 3X 100% cotton sports shirt to try out here nd have it on over my usual getup and I’m happy to report that here in the arid West, a heavy cotton overshirt keeps you much cooler in the sun.

Last edited by Birdwatcher; 07/03/19.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow. Good luck!

Well, we don't rent pigs, and it's better to say it right up front because a man who does like to rent pigs is — well, he's hard to stop.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Sir, if you are a bicycle guy the tone of your responses strongly suggests you are one of those guys who self-righteously holds up traffic while dressed like a homosexual bondage submissive because after all, you’re riding fifty miles and that’s SERIOUS.

Or maybe not......

But here’s the deal, heavy as it is, steel is still the favored material for touring bikes because of the way it soaks up road vibration. And the rack/pannier combination I use is top of the line, likewise for a reason. So heavy touring bikes are common, it’s on hills where you feel it.

Dressed for the sun I’ve never worried much about the time of day. I picked up a 3X 100% cotton sports shirt to try out here nd have it on over my usual getup and I’m happy to report that here in the arid West, a heavy cotton overshirt keeps you much cooler in the sun.

Gee, you think them AyRabs might have figured out something about loose fitting cotton (/goat/camel wool even?) garments in the desert?

Enjoy your ride today Birdie. Looking forward to your evening posts with pics.

Geno

PS a few years back pal seemed like a nice enough fellow in some PM's we had. Perhaps he's just looking at things from a different perspective?

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Be safe Birdie.

Page 9 of 49 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 48 49

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (44mc, 16penny, 405winash, 35, Akhutr, 13 invisible), 1,615 guests, and 762 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,651
Posts18,512,647
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.