Print Thread
Hop To
Page 22 of 79 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 78 79
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TF49

I’ll step in it again and ask you a couple of questions:

Do you believe that God exists?
Do you believe that Jesus was the Messiah?
Can you answer yes or no?

You made the categorical claim it matters not what one believes,

but you still desperately want to know things you clearly have already deemed as irrelevant.

the following applies to you perfectly:

James 1:8 (KJV)
"A double minded man is unstable in all his ways."

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by NH K9
If it were me, I think I'd use something other than math in my self righteous comparisons when preaching the word..............

Math is tangible, verifiable and has rules. Religion ................

George

Meh, the skeptics that post here are as self assured and self righteous as others. They feel free to show and stomp on others beliefs.

Wait...! Let the math experts render an opinion.... we’re not the answers requested in a simple binary format?

Yes or no.... in or out. Binary?

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Starman

I’ll step in it again and ask you a couple of questions:

Do you believe that God exists?
Do you believe that Jesus was the Messiah?
Can you answer yes or no?

You made the categorical claim it matters not what one believes,

but you still desperately to want to know things you clearly have already deemed as irrelevant.

the following applies to you perfectly:

James 1:8 (KJV)
"A double minded man is unstable in all his ways."

Ok Starman, you win.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Meh, the skeptics that post here are as self assured and self righteous as others.
They feel free to show and stomp on others beliefs.

Nobody is trying to force you to change your mind, you are still free to chose your beliefs
as are everybody else.

Reasonable and rational people see this thread simply as a discussion//contribution of differing views.

Ok Starman, you win.

So you reduce the subject discussion of your God first to mathematics , then to a contest?

I thought competition was for things like sport and the work place, not spiritual matters.
but hey,... many congregations across the globe can't resist their one-upmanship approach to GOD.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Congrats to ou TF49. In conversing with AS you have met one of the biggest fools on the 'fire.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B2

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Congrats to ou TF49. In conversing with AS you have met one of the biggest fools on the 'fire.

JG,

Hope life's treating you well.

Much like you TF's another fine campfire gentleman. We just happen to disagree on this one proposition.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Hes stupid enough to think Jesus walked the earth giving the Good News knowing it wasnt true and hoping to hoodwink millions of people to spend billions over the ages supporting churches and pastors without seeking financial gain for himself.

Sheesh.

What was Jesus to get out of life for his charade other than crucifiction? Dumbasses never consider these things.

Hey rimfire, Jesus only wanted to pull the wool over on guys like me,

Or, "If it were not so i would not have told you so".

I have no doubt Jesus of Nazerath was a man who did walk the Earth. I have no doubt that he had a mother named Mary. And I have no doubt that both were tools used by a faction of the Jewish Priesthood bent of splintering The Church and taking it in a new, more benevolent direction.

Either Mary was impregnated by these Jewish Priests, who later confirmed her virginity, or else the entire "virgin birth" was a myth born of whole cloth used to impress superstitious peoples and gain converts. Heck, we impregnate cows everyday with a straw small enough to leave the hymen intact.

David Copperfield could easily replicate any of the "miracles" performed by Jesus in front of illiterate, peasant crowds. Modern fakirs heal people in front of crowds quite often, and none of them are God incarnate.

And as far as the man dying, coming back to life, and disappearing again. That is certainly not an illusion which would be difficult to replicate in any time period. body doubles? twin brothers? possibilities abound.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
J
Jahrs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Many thanks to all who participated here. It was fun, respectful and didn’t go too far south like a lot of these type threads do. I have learned a lot.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by Thunderstick

The truth is the truth, with or without the Bible.

heaven and hell exist in your mind only because you read it in a book,
or you started believing someone who told you those places exist.

The death and resurrection story from the very beginning was shared on the basis of fact.

So for christians the resurrection of Jesus is not based on their FAITH / BELIEF..?
If christians knew it as FACT , why would they need to trust in their FAITH..?

def. of faith: = strong belief based on spiritual conviction rather than proof.

PROOF is needed to demonstrate a claim as FACT ..Thus FAITH cannot be FACT based,
because facts require proof - if you have proof establishing fact ,then its not faith.

Christians with their lack of proof thus does not permit them to establish fact, and if they did have such
it would nullify their need for faith.
Christians overwhelmingly rely on their faith simply because faith [or beliefs] don't require facts, evidence, proof or truth.

There is some circular reasoning here. On the same criteria you cannot prove that Jesus never rose from the dead. You were not there--you did not guard the tomb to confirm the presence of the body till decay. In your belief system you choose unbelief--yes a belief system that is based on faith in your own rational conclusions on what to doubt with a high degree of certainty. Furthermore your approach would invalidate all history as fact because you cannot personally validate the events as an eye-witness. However on the basis of faith in the historical evidence professors teach history. They look at the evidence and try to make reasonable conclusions and then they teach history.

Disputing the evidence for the resurrection of Christ is equal to trying to dispute that the American Revolution actually occurred. We all "believe" it occurred on the basis of evidence. We have a strong faith in the certainty of because of the reasonably indisputable evidence from the historical record.

Likewise:
1. we have reasonably indisputable historical evidence from various sources that Jesus was crucified in a public event
2. we have indisputable evidence that some of the early believers "claimed" that He also arose because they were eyewitness of His resurrected body
3. they spread the stories of their resurrection claims throughout the whole world
4. the world was hostile to the resurrection claims of the early Christians
5. the apostles and early Christians were put to death for making these claims and promoting the teachings of Christ
6. the early Christians did not have the favor or aid of the government to protect their faith
7. the story continued to spread and grow and could not be dismissed
8. all the events surrounding the death and crucifixion were in the gospel accounts and could be investigated and disproven
9. the critics and enemies of Christianity were never successful in refuting those claims and the church grew
10. Diocletion ordered all the Scriptures apprehended and burnt and Christians executed if they would not recant their faith
11. But the story grew to the point where the succeeding Roman Emperor Constantine officially embraced Christianity. While this also began to introduce some corruptions into the church it still establishes the fact that the basic story of Jesus was validated on the basis of evidence.
12. Emporer Julian comes along and tries to make intellectual arguments to dismiss the resurrection of Christ. His arguments fail and the story grows even further.

Friends, in the early ages of Christianity when it was being persecuted, everyone had access to the data needed to refute the resurrection claims--more data than we have today. Eye-witnesses could be interviewed, stories of the gospels could be investigated, the public crucifixion under Pontius Pilate could be verified. The man Jesus was crucified by the Romans and guarded because Jesus said in advance He would rise again--what happened to the body? The only thing the critics needed to do was prove that Christ never arose.

Our faith is based on indisputable evidence. The Bible defines our faith as such:
Now faith is the reality (or assurance or substance as some translations say) of what is hoped for, the proof (or evidence as some translations say) of what is not seen Heb.11:1

Our faith is a strong belief based on reasonably indisputable evidence. Unbelief is based upon blind faith that refuses to acknowledge the testimony of reasonable evidence because of a strong prejudice against moral absolutes.

All these things you state about early Christian teachings and writings could also be stated for The Book of Morman.
Smith had no backing.
The gov't and all established religions tried to stamp out his teachings.
He was killed for his teachings.
His followers were driven out into the wilderness.

Yet they persisted and prospered. Does this make their beliefs true?

Then we could ask the same questions for the teachings of Ellen G White. Was she a true prophet of God?

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.. Furthermore your approach would invalidate all history as fact because you cannot personally validate the events
as an eye-witness. However on the basis of faith in the historical evidence professors teach history. They look at the evidence and try to
make reasonable conclusions and then they teach history.

My approach requires proof to establish fact...and there's substantial physical evidence, proof and fact - that eg; WW1 and WW2
actually happened even though I did not eye-witness those wars taking place.

The Romans were in the UK, Africa, etc ,as a matter of fact. proven by the combination of Roman records,
remaining Roman structures and vast number of recovered relics they left behind from 400 yrs of occupation.

...so how does my approach ' invalidate all history as fact'..??

.... on the basis of faith in the historical evidence professors teach history.

I would say professors use conventional overwhelming proof to establish fact, not subjective religious type faith.
we know the Romans existed and where they occupied, and the proof is available here and now , not locked up
in some mysterious faith yet to reveal its alleged proof.

IC B3

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by DBT
So, on the contrary, it is the believer who dismisses these contradictions with no consideration, perhaps not understanding the argument, or even what a logical contradiction happens to look like.

I'm a little late with this, but here goes. Tell me what's wrong with contradictions.

Contradictions happen when two propositions (or more) are logically not compatible, therefore both cannot logically be true. In the simplest terms, if an object is described as being entirely white, it cannot be described as being entirely black....one description or the other must be false. Both cannot be true.

If God is described as a God of Love, who has no jealousy. who is good to all, love your enemy, etc, and God is described as being a jealous God, punishing generations for the sins of their fathers, ordering slaughter, killing guilty and innocent alike, etc.... both descriptions cannot be true, it can one or the other....or God is bipolar.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Disputing the evidence for the resurrection of Christ is equal to trying to dispute that the American Revolution actually occurred.
We all "believe" it occurred on the basis of evidence.

Initially you claimed it as FACT, now you say its merely based on evidence.

Evidence does not necessarily amount to Proof or established Fact,
and that can be seen in courtrooms across the land on a regular basis.

.. In your belief system you choose unbelief--yes a belief system that is based on faith in your own
rational conclusions on what to doubt with a high degree of certainty.

I rely on a lack of proof being provided by christians , and because of such lack , also the absence of establishedFact.

no proof = no established fact.

How are the facts of history established? Are they not based on the laws of evidence? No evidence equals no facts--good evidence establishes the facts. This is not a novel idea.
Webster--Definition of evidence
1a : an outward sign : INDICATION
b : something that furnishes proof : TESTIMONY

In summary the resurrection of Jesus is a fact of history that is established on the basis of good evidence. The denial of the resurrection is not based on good evidence, and therefore is not a factual conclusion, but rather represents a prejudice against the facts.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
God exists because a fictional book says so? That makes as much sense as FREE healthcare for all.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[quote=Thunderstick]

Our faith is based on indisputable evidence. The Bible defines our faith as such:
Now faith is the reality (or assurance or substance as some translations say) of what is hoped for,
the proof (or evidence as some translations say) of what is not seen Heb.11:1

You earlier cited proof based FACT being the basis from the start [that the resurrection took place],
yet there's no biblical mention of it in that definition of faith.

and how do you substantiate proof that cannot be seen?

Our faith is a strong belief based on reasonably indisputable evidence.

who decides what genuinely constitutes reasonable evidence?

and just because you adopt a 'strong belief' approach doesn't give purported evidence any extra weight.

... Unbelief is based upon blind faith that refuses to acknowledge
the testimony of reasonable evidence because of a strong prejudice against moral absolutes.

again its what you choose as a Christian to deem a reasonable evidence, not everybody.

Could you go into a US courtroom today with your evidence and prove/provide establiish fact,
that a man died and came back to life 3 days later,.. some 2000+ yrs ago?

The verse cited establishes the foundational premise that Christians faith is based on evidence regarding the things which cannot be seen or duplicated. This is certainly in line with the recognized laws of evidence that are used today.
The Bible also makes the evidence and fact claim regarding the resurrection:
Acts 1:3 To whom also he shewed himself alive after his passion by many infallible proofs, being seen of them* forty days, and speaking of the things pertaining to the kingdom of God:

Reasonable evidence is based upon an honest and impartial inquiry according to the laws of evidence from which the facts may be ascertained and established. There are always those who will say in most cases that there is not enough evidence if they do not like where the evidence points.

So to answer your question as to whether I could establish the fact of the resurrection from the laws of evidence in a courtroom--absolutely yes if we can agree to the laws of evidence that are already established and we do not contrive new ones. I would accept the opportunity to publicly share the evidence for my faith based upon the established laws of evidence.

In fact this issue was already addressed by the man, Simon Greeleaf, who was the cofounder of the Harvard school of law and wrote the laws of evidence that we use today. This what he said, after exhaustive research applying the laws of evidence to the gospel accounts of Jesus:

In examining the evidence of the Christian religion, it is essential to the discovery of truth that we bring to the investigation a mind freed, as far as possible, from existing prejudice, and open to conviction. There should be a readiness, on our part, to investigate with candor to follow the truth wherever it may lead us, and to submit, without reserve or objection, to all the teachings of this religion, if it be found to be of divine origin.

...In requiring this candor and simplicity of mind in those who would investigate the truth of our religion, Christianity demands nothing more than is readily conceded to every branch of human science. All these have their data, and their axioms; and Christianity, too, has her first principles, the admission of which is essential to any real progress in knowledge.

...All Christianity asks of men on this subject, is that they would be consistent with themselves; that they would treat the evidence of other things;; and that they would try and judge its actors and witnesses, as they deal with their fellow men, when testifying to human affairs and actions, in human tribunals. Let the the witnesses be compared with themselves, with each other, and with surrounding facts and circumstances; and let their testimony be sifted, as if were given in a court of justice, on the side of the adverse party, the witness being subjected to a rigorous cross-examination. The result, it is confidently believed, will be an undoubting conviction of their integrity, ability, and truth..

Do you have more legal credentials than he?

Last edited by Thunderstick; 07/03/19.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by DBT
There is no historical evidence for the existence of Jesus. All we have are the words of anonymous writers, accounts written decades after the described events. And before Josephus, et al, is brought up, the few brief mentions outside of the gospels were made on hearsay, so these are not eyewitness accounts. Paul himself was not aware of some of the things mentioned by the later works of the gospel writers.

As for the passage in some copies of Josephus, the Testimonium Flavianum it's a 4th century interpolation added by Eusebius.

There are variations in Josephus' account with some details of the Biblical record, which indicate that they would not very likely have been a Christian interpolation. Early Christian writers actually disputed some of Josephus’ details as inaccurate--which shows they did not interpolate them.

Questions for the skeptic: Why is it that of the 120 Greek and 170 Latin extant manuscripts, the only copies which survived have the Testimonium Flavianum in them? How did an interpolator make sure all the other copies were destroyed and only the ones with interpolations survive? Furthermore at least 5 early church writers reference this passage to skeptics. Why would they reference this passage if the passage itself was in question or if other copies existed at that time without these passages?

To date every skeptic to which I have addressed these questions ... the result has been -- NO EVIDENCE BASED ANSWER.

Last edited by Thunderstick; 07/03/19.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Hes stupid enough to think Jesus walked the earth giving the Good News knowing it wasnt true and hoping to hoodwink millions of people to spend billions over the ages supporting churches and pastors without seeking financial gain for himself.

Sheesh.

What was Jesus to get out of life for his charade other than crucifiction? Dumbasses never consider these things.

I have no doubt Jesus of Nazerath was a man who did walk the Earth. I have no doubt that he had a mother named Mary. And I have no doubt that both were tools used by a faction of the Jewish Priesthood bent of splintering The Church and taking it in a new, more benevolent direction.

Either Mary was impregnated by these Jewish Priests, who later confirmed her virginity, or else the entire "virgin birth" was a myth born of whole cloth used to impress superstitious peoples and gain converts. Heck, we impregnate cows everyday with a straw small enough to leave the hymen intact.

David Copperfield could easily replicate any of the "miracles" performed by Jesus in front of illiterate, peasant crowds. Modern fakirs heal people in front of crowds quite often, and none of them are God incarnate.

And as far as the man dying, coming back to life, and disappearing again. That is certainly not an illusion which would be difficult to replicate in any time period. body doubles? twin brothers? possibilities abound.

Interesting premises, but based on pure speculations ...
So how would people at that time impregnate a young woman leaving her hymen intact? Why would a Jewish priest do this if it worked against their own teachings? Or why would they not simply say later that I impregnated her to dispel the mystery of the virgin birth? Jesus did not merely perform His miracles in front of illiterate peasants, but before all classes of men--even the most learned of the day who were trying to trap Him. He performed miracles before skeptics and in a hostile atmosphere. Why did not his enemies merely expose His charade instead of crucifying Him ... or at least expose His charade afterwards? The Romans were not opposed to a magic shows so why would they persecute Christianity?
I'm sorry, but there is no logic in this reasoning.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by rimfire
God exists because a fictional book says so? That makes as much sense as FREE healthcare for all.

Read the context--the man asked for a verse from the Bible. You have been given plenty of external evidence as well.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
[/quote]All these things you state about early Christian teachings and writings could also be stated for The Book of Morman.[quote]

Go down through each of my points and explain how Joe Smith or Ellen White would fit each point. You can't do it--you only cherry picked out a couple.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

Sheesh.

The biggest problem with all of this is that the alleged perpetrators of the hoax were willing to die pretty uncomfortable deaths for the lie.....all of them. The followers of Jesus were not "Jewish priests bent on a more benevolent direction" but were in fact Jewish zealots who wanted to get the Romans off their asses and thought Jesus was going to do it. Jews to this day have never been about being inclusive. They see themselves as an exclusive club and don't proselytize. The rational reaction from this group of people to their Messiah being crucified would have been to either give up or throw in with the next guy claiming to be the Messiah...not to attempt to start a new religion about a failed Messiah promising no earthly rewards....just persecution. I'd say if they faked it, human nature being what it is, they would have spread the gospel with violence like the Muslims.....or the Catholic Church of the middle ages.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by Ringman
Originally Posted by DBT
So, on the contrary, it is the believer who dismisses these contradictions with no consideration, perhaps not understanding the argument, or even what a logical contradiction happens to look like.

I'm a little late with this, but here goes. Tell me what's wrong with contradictions.

Contradictions happen when two propositions (or more) are logically not compatible, therefore both cannot logically be true. In the simplest terms, if an object is described as being entirely white, it cannot be described as being entirely black....one description or the other must be false. Both cannot be true.

If God is described as a God of Love, who has no jealousy. who is good to all, love your enemy, etc, and God is described as being a jealous God, punishing generations for the sins of their fathers, ordering slaughter, killing guilty and innocent alike, etc.... both descriptions cannot be true, it can one or the other....or God is bipolar.

Is it possible there is a third reason these verses seem to contradict each other? Even in the limited books in the Bible there is a hint of something else going on. One of the hints begins in the Garden and the event that happened between the Serpent and Eve, the second hint is the lineage difference between Adams and Eve's. Not only do the "don't believe them books" fill in the blanks, but so do the Jewish and Islamic teachings. Limiting ourselves to only the 66 books limits our knowledge. One of the Jewish teachings concerning the first 2 verses of Genesis shows that God created the Earth, but chaos (lucifer added his creation to it) took over and He was then forced to renew or recreate the Earth again. The "noncanonized" books along with Hebrew teachings and the Quran point to this. These writings are "Religious/Christian" writings, then you have the many other "mythical" books and archaeology findings pointing to the same stories. There are many cities and stories labeled as untrue or myth that have recently been unearthed and proven as true, but Religious teachers still want to label as untrue by using the term myth, such as Roman myth or greek myth, always failing to expose the other myth..........Hebrew myth. But what I propose is that none of them are untrue and that mythology is nothing more than another word for history.

Page 22 of 79 1 2 20 21 22 23 24 78 79

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,275 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,343
Posts18,526,859
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.