Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Is my Rooster causing this or is it the hens fighting with each other as they go to roost in the coop. I hear a bunch of squabling type noises every evening when they go to bed, fighting for their favorite roosting bar no doubt. Either that or the dang rooster is getting after them. Had hens and a rooster 20 or so years ago and never saw this. This rooster (you can just see part of him in the pic) is much bigger than the one we had before, and not as nice when he wants some action either. I'd hate to have to get rid of him, as he came as a chick with the girls last spring (2108) and he's rather handsome.

This is probably the worst looking hen, some have hardly any damage, others a smaller area than this one. Someone told me it might be the rooster's spurs causing it when he mounts them.

Any advice?

[Linked Image]

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
First off, it's natural for chickens to squabble over a roosting spot, and they're not going to fight like that, so I'd say it wasn't from that.

Now, I've never seen a rooster do that to a hen, but it's possible I suppose, as they do mount a hen in that fashion, and could do the damage. I'd think that he must be mating with them quite a lot to cause that much damage.

Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks James,

never saw it before this batch of fowl myself. Next time I'm at the vet's I'll show them the pics too. Maybe there's some sort of "bug" in this area, but I really do think it's the rooster.

He's a randy one for sure.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Defiantly smile the rooster.

Might try usi g a pair of times and trim the spur and claws, especially if they stay cooped. If free-ranging, that removes defense.

Or, just make him a democrat. No Interest in hens then!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I know you guys will think this is BS, but....... I had a bunch of chickens, and NO rooster that looked like that. I asked the ol' man what it was, and he told me it was lack of meat. No kidding. So I did what he said. I killed a cottontail and peeled the hide back to expose the meat and hung it in the pen. They peck on it, and leave each other alone. This time of year you gotta change them out often.....grin

I thought it was BS, but after hanging a few rabbits, a couple months go by and they were feathering right out without it ever happening again...

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by huntsman22
I know you guys will think this is BS, but....... I had a bunch of chickens, and NO rooster that looked like that. I asked the ol' man what it was, and he told me it was lack of meat. No kidding. So I did what he said. I killed a cottontail and peeled the hide back to expose the meat and hung it in the pen. They peck on it, and leave each other alone. This time of year you gotta change them out often.....grin

I thought it was BS, but after hanging a few rabbits, a couple months go by and they were feathering right out without it ever happening again...

BS! smile

Feathers are almost all protein.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Interesting.

I do know they'll eat it. Back a coupla months ago I had a friend over to help me clean their yard/coop. In putting in the new straw he saw them get a mouse, might have come from the straw, or it might have been hiding under the coop and got disturbed when we cleaned. And I saw one hen get very interested in a fence lizard that ran thru the fence and back out again.

I'm getting ready to turn them into free rangers next week, so I may hold off having rooster stew for a bit and see if it clears up. They'll likely get more protein running around scratching bugs and critters out from under the sagebrush and junipers. Plenty of voles and field mice out there.

Geno

In it is contentment

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Chickens peck at red, as in red skin or bloody skin and feathers. They develop a habit and it is contagious among the flock as damage increases.
Some solutions other than dietary, as mentioned above are to make sure that roosting space is more than otherwise thought to be plenty. Then isolate the defeathered hens and isolate the aggressive hens. If necessary to break the habit, the tip of the upper beak can be shortened just enough to disable the ability to produce the sharp pinch.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Yep, IME that’s almost exclusively by hens pecking the cloaca after a tough egg lay.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Valsdad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by ironbender
Yep, IME that’s almost exclusively by hens pecking the cloaca after a tough egg lay.

Yeah, the little research I've done mentions that , but not breaking off feathers.

I'm leaning toward rooster stew..................or a dead rabbit.

Geno

In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I don't think that word means what you think that word means...

wink

The cloaca is generally found on the other side of the chicken, rooster or hen...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Unless you want to hatch your own chicks, I had no use for a rooster. Never had a problem with my hens mistreating each other. The roosters on the other hand, constantly harassing the hens.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A chicken is not too picky about what it eats, and that includes meat, and all my life I've heard it said that a chicken and a hog will anything. My grandfather raised chickens, hundreds of them, and he pretty much knew everything there was to know about them. I remember him getting rid of hens that wanted to peck on the other hens, and he was very strict on me when it came to me leaving dead critters laying around for the chickens to eat on. I was always shooting blackbirds and just leaving them where they fell, and of course the chickens would eat them.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Chickens eat anything, and are predators of more than bugs.
As kids we would go in the coop and rock the feed box.
Mice would run, and it was like T'ball'ers chasing the ball.
That poor bastard would get stomped, plucked, threw through the air.....
When he was dead, they would fight over him and tear him to pieces.

Time from first appearance to disappearance was maybe 30 seconds.

Are you feeding a higher protein food, or mixing grain.
Like Huntsmans dad, the old remedy was to give them meat scraps.
We never used good meat, just trimmings and left over meat.
If you have a decent balance of supply and birds, give them your table scraps.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Sitka deer

I don't think that word means what you think that word means...

wink

The cloaca is generally found on the other side of the chicken, rooster or hen...

I guess the reference wasn’t clear. I was referring to the pecking at red on another chicken, not what Genoa pic shows. I answered that farther up.

But about that red pecking though, I remember back when I sold eggs, there was some research done on a red pince nez type of spectacle installed on chickens’ beaks. Everything was red and they were unable to distinguish red cloacas thereby no pecking.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have hens that look like that from time to time. Sometimes the roosters are a little over zealous in their affections. I don’t mind having a rooster around because if you’re lucky enough to get a good one they will look over the hens. Also if you have too many roosters and not enough hens, the girls get too much attention. It’s a tricky balance but well worth it!

Good luck!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (Anaconda, 35, 33sixSS, 907brass, 300_savage, 8 invisible), 1,438 guests, and 907 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,758
Posts18,476,413
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.