-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I honestly think that America is not for everyone's taste. It wasn't in the 18th century and it certainly is not now.

Take England as an example. For a long, long time Brits could choose where to go in this world. Some chose Canada, some chose America. Some went elsewhere in the Empire and then the Commonwealth. Even with Canadians, you see a bunch of folks that like the land of North America, but prefer a different political system.

This isn't a rag on any of them or any of us. It's kind of like pepperoni on your pizza. Some folks can't stand it. Others ask for a double helping.

Y'all know me and my quirky views on being a German American instead of an English American. My grandfather's choice to be an American pre-dates his emigration after WWI. Grandpa was an American all his life. He was the second youngest born. His father had a title, but that only bought him a paltry sinecure. Grandpa knew his fortunes were going to be elsewhere. He wanted to be free. He did not want limits placed on his life, solely based on his last name. He didn't want to be a rope maker like his father.

You can blame Ben Franklin for my Grandpa's urge to become an American. Back during the Revolution, Ben printed up some propaganda flyers in German promising land, livestock and farm implements to any Hessian mercenary that defected. One of my ancestors took him up on it. I found him on the Hessian roles as one of the ones that didn't come back. That side of the family is now up around Toledo. They kept sending word back home of what it was like here in the States. Grandpa's mother was a widow and in her old age when she left for America, just to see what it was like. We found her grave outside of Batavia, Ohio. No one knew she was there. Dad certainly didn't. America was just this wonderful place that you had to go see.

America is not for everyone:

[Linked Image]

Grandpa is the young boy on the left. He came here in 1923 and was a millionaire by 1929. The young man in uniform died in WWI. The youngest never left Marburg. The older son on the left flipped off Hitler and had to go hide in the Black Forest for a decade. The two sisters on the right emigrated to America as soon as they could and raised families here.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Cheers!

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
F'ck England and most of liberal Europe not just of the 4th of July but every day.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by boatammo
Greatest country ever.

Will be even better once we hit the reset on our government, time to fire them all and start over with some folks that understand what the constitution means. I love my country and constitution, but the gov can go get fugged.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

88 members (7mm_Loco, AKislander, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, Anaconda, 14 invisible), 1,437 guests, and 933 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,489
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.