T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by rimfire
It seems the believers are incapable of providing proof of a god. They can't grasp the concept of proof, it would destroy all they believed in.

Heck,

Thunderstick won't even answer the simple question, is he a Young Earth Creationist or not?

Hmm, not answering a question is not unheard of around here. Let me see if I recall it correctly...You challenged me to answer what would happen if you were right about “nothing after death.” As I recall you were going to respond about what would be your fate if Christianity was right and you died without knowing the Lord.

As I recall, I responded quite clearly and you then went silent. You, antelope sniper, wouldn’t even answer the simple question.

Remember ...”C’mon Man?”

I've answered that more than once.

Odd, I don’t recall that you did. You went uncharacteristicly silent and as I recall, never returned to that thread.

So, if you right about no god and I do not have an eternal soul, when I die, all consciousness and whatever makes up Tf49, simply ceases to exist and that is the end of it....no ongoing consciousness.... nothing.... end of it. Same for my children and everybody else.

The question to you is the reverse. What if it is correct and true that God exists, His son is Jesus and you die without knowing him or him knowing you? What happens to your eternal soul?

Your answer?

Last edited by TF49; 07/05/19. Reason: Typo

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
AS,

You’re dodging again..... Creator? .... or Nothing created everything?

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
TF49 You got it right when you die that's it. If you want to believe in an afterlife that is fine, I have no problem with you believing . That is all it is, a belief not a fact. I have no desire to take away your right to believe in a god I don't even support those who want to tear down religions symbols. My main beef with believers is they keep saying "your going to hell" if you don't conform to my belief system. (not all do this by any means)

Last edited by rimfire; 07/05/19.
R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
My main beef with believers is they keep saying "your going to hell" if you don't conform to my belief system. (not all do this by any means)

I used to work with a sweet old Catholic lady who thought I was going to hell because I was a protestant.....ie not a member of the "one true church". I was touched by her compassion for me but not in the least worried about going to hell because I am strong in what I believe which is the Gospel as Christ and the apostles preached.

Seems to me a bonafide atheist should be the same way......so strong in his belief that hell does not exist that it would merely amuse him that someone would say he was going there. Otherwise some doubts perhaps need to be dealt with, which is something both sides of the fence have to do.

Although some sects of Christianity have managed to slice and dice the Bible to the point that they believe in such things as "soul destruction" ie the souls of unbelievers merely cease to exists or are destroyed rather than suffer eternally, or "universal salvation", most believe in the concept that hell is forever. So, when Christians, especially immature ones get bashed by atheists, the fall back position when they lose their temper is to remind them that they are going to hell.

Personally I don't like to do that. I figure they already know, and the gospel is not "you're going to hell", the Gospel is you don't have to.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
RJY66 It does amuse me when I am told I'm going to hell. There is one instance I still laugh about, and it has been close to 50 years since it happened.

IC B2

J
Jahrs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
TF49 You got it right when you die that's it. If you want to believe in an afterlife that is fine, I have no problem with you believing . That is all it is, a belief not a fact. I have no desire to take away your right to believe in a god I don't even support those who want to tear down religions symbols. My main beef with believers is they keep saying "your going to hell" if you don't conform to my belief system. (not all do this by any means)

Please don’t think about this in the negative. We as Christians want to tell others about the good news, forgiveness, justification, eternal life etc with God rather than you suffering in torment forever. If we don’t tell you then how will you know? There is actually a pressing within us that Gods spirit urges us to witness to others.
If you knew that your child was heading for danger would you not warn him because of your love and foreknowledge? We know what’s coming because the Bible proclaims it and we believe it. We don’t do this to be a PITA but because of Gods love for us and for you.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
J
Jahrs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

Originally Posted by Starman
For those not on the short list to get into heaven, take heart that God is still with you in hell.

Psa 139:7-12 KJV -

7 Whither shall I go from thy spirit? or whither shall I flee from thy presence?
8 If I ascend up into heaven, thou art there: if I make my bed in hell, behold, thou art there.
9 If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea;
10 Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me.
11 If I say, Surely the darkness shall cover me; even the night shall be light about me.
12 Yea, the darkness hideth not from thee; but the night shineth as the day: the darkness and the light are both alike to thee.

David had a very strong assurance of the presence God.

C.H. Spurgeon
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If a believer tries to "save" me, and I tell them I'm not interested in what they have to say, and they stop that's fine. It's the ones that won't stop that tick me off.Would you appreciate if a atheist hounded you to stop believing after you told them to stop?

J
Jahrs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
However most of the others you did not respond, but you claim to have proven they do not exist. You have not done that.

You have yet to even respond to my first example about the contradictions between God in the Old and God in the New Testament.

Below quoted from evidence demands a reason by Josh McDowell

Isn’t the Old Testament God a God of Hate and the New Testament God a God of Love?

Another of the frequent accusations against the Bible is that it contains two different conceptions of God.

The Old Testament allegedly presents only a God of wrath, while the New Testament allegedly depicts only a God of love.

The Old Testament contains stories of God’s commanding the destruction ofSodom, the annihilation of the Canaanites, and many other stories of God’s judgment and wrath. The accusers claim this demonstrates a primitive, warlike deity in contradistinction to the advanced teachings of Jesus to love one another and to turn the other cheek, as contained in the Sermon on the Mount.

These ideas about God seem to be in direct conflict, but a moment’s reflection will show otherwise.

Jesus Himself declared that the Old Testament may be summed up by the commandments to love God and love your neighbor (Matthew 22:37). He also observed that God in the Old Testament had continually desired love and mercy rather than sacrifice (Matthew 9:13; 12:7).

This attitude can be seen with statements such as, “Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked… and not rather that he should turn from his way and live?” (Ezekiel 18:23, RSV).

God would not have destroyed certain nations except that He is a God of justice and their evil could not go unchecked and condoned.

He did intend and desire to punish them as a part of His plan, in consistency with His holy nature and jealousy for His wayfaring people. What He desires in consistency with His pure character, He does in justice, in their case, providing they have not repented and come into harmony with His nature (Jeremiah 18).

In the case of the Amorites, God gave them hundreds of years to repent, yet they did not (Genesis 15:16). Noah preached 120 years to his generation before the great flood (Genesis 6:3). The proper Old Testament picture is one of a very patient God who gives these people untold opportunities to repent and come into harmony with Him, and only when they continually refuse does He judge and punish them for their evil deeds.

Contrary to some popular belief, the strongest statements of judgment and wrath in the Bible were made by the Lord Jesus Himself.

In Matthew 23, for example, He lashed out at the religious leaders of His day, calling them hypocrites and false leaders, and informing them that their destiny was eternal banishment from God’s presence.

In Matthew 10:34 (KJV), Jesus says that the purpose of His mission is not to unite but to divide. “Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.” He goes on to say that His word will cause a father to be against his son, a mother against her daughter, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law (Matthew 10:35).

We find judgment as well as love scattered very pervasively throughout the New Testament, and love and mercy as well as judgment throughout the Old Testament.

God is consistent and unchanging, but different situations call for different emphases. Therefore, when the two testaments are read the way they were intended, they reveal the same holy God who is rich in mercy, but who will not let sin go unpunished.

C.H. Spurgeon
J
Jahrs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
If a believer tries to "save" me, and I tell them I'm not interested in what they have to say, and they stop that's fine. It's the ones that won't stop that tick me off.Would you appreciate if a atheist hounded you to stop believing after you told them to stop?

Your point is well taken.

You sure you are not referring to JW’s or Mormons?

Last edited by Jahrs; 07/05/19.

C.H. Spurgeon
IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
JW's and mormons are a large % but have had fanatics of all christian denominations pester me. "born agains" are the absolute worst. Jew's never seem to pester me yet they are the most persecuted I find that odd. Maybe I'll put my JW encounter from last week up later if anyone wants to hear it.

Last edited by rimfire; 07/05/19.
J
Jahrs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
I’d like to read about it.

I’ll bet the ones who pester you the worst are the ones who have to work for their salvation. Others work because of their salvation. Different mindset and motives.

C.H. Spurgeon
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I'll post it later in a new post Under JW's and guns.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Jahrs

Your point is well taken.

You sure you are not referring to JW’s or Mormons?

A polite "thanks but no thanks" has always worked for me.
That includes members of my own family.

Last edited by BOWSINGER; 07/05/19.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Please don’t think about this in the negative. We as Christians want to tell others about the good news, forgiveness, justification, eternal life etc with God rather than you suffering in torment forever. If we don’t tell you then how will you know? There is actually a pressing within us that Gods spirit urges us to witness to others.
If you knew that your child was heading for danger would you not warn him because of your love and foreknowledge? We know what’s coming because the Bible proclaims it and we believe it. We don’t do this to be a PITA but because of Gods love for us and for you.

Love, good news, forgiveness...news for you sport, God is an arsehole...but he is my type of arsehole so we get along just fine.

I will leave the touchy-feelie version to those who require soft and cuddly with their news, mine is good with me carrying a sword.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
To Jahrs:

"If you knew that your child was heading for danger would you not warn him because of your love and foreknowledge?"

Any adult or parent who tells a child that they are going to Hell and will burn for eternity if they don't believe in their God is guilty of child abuse including your pompous self righteous self. I was never told I was going to Hell if I didn't believe in some God by any of my family but I heard it plenty in church and from nutters like you. I figured out at about age 6 that every person that was promising something they couldn't deliver (everlasting life in a Heaven) was a false prophet. Why would anyone want to go to a Heaven full of people like you anyway?

Last edited by victoro; 07/05/19.
J
Jahrs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by victoro
To Jahrs:

"If you knew that your child was heading for danger would you not warn him because of your love and foreknowledge?"

Any adult or parent who tells a child that they are going to Hell and will burn for eternity if they don't believe in their God is guilty of child abuse including your pompous self righteous self. I was never told I was going to Hell if I didn't believe in some God by any of my family but I heard it plenty in church and from nutters like you. I figured out at about age 6 that every person that was promising something they couldn't deliver (everlasting life in a Heaven) was a false prophet. Why would anyone want to go to a Heaven full of people like you anyway?

So your parents didn’t teach you anything and shipped you off to church by yourself and you had it all figured out by 6 years old.
Are you mad at your parents?

C.H. Spurgeon
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
To Jahrs:

So your parents didn’t teach you anything and shipped you off to church by yourself and you had it all figured out by 6 years old.

My parents taught me how to be a good moral person with logic, not threats of burning in a Hell, promises of everlasting life or brainwashing. They exposed me to religion but let me make my own decisions about religion. I'd heard enough in Bible school and sermons age 6 to figure out if I wanted nothing to do with any religion but it was forced on me by many adults (not my family). I remember being forced to lead a morning prayer in my 6th grade class and this same teacher asked each of her students what church their parents attended. She was probably one of your "enlightened" ancestors.

Last edited by victoro; 07/05/19.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
To Jahrs:

Are you mad at your parents for lying to you about Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy? Maybe you're still a believer, you are pretty gullible. I also figured out by age 6 that there was no Santa Claus because we didn't have a chimney and I knew that deer couldn't fly. My parents made me promise not to tell my younger sister and I didn't. It me longer to not believe in the tooth fairy because the tooth under my pillow disappeared and there was money under my pillow the next morning.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
victoro are you sure about the tooth fairy? is there nothing left for me to believe in ?

Page 27 of 79 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 78 79

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

420 members (1Longbow, 160user, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 37 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,105 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,329
Posts18,526,651
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.