Print Thread
Hop To
Page 28 of 79 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 78 79
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by rimfire
victoro are you sure about the tooth fairy? is there nothing left for me to believe in ?

Pretty sure, the Tooth Fairy looked exactly like my Dad but he never admitted it was him.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by victoro
Originally Posted by Jahrs
Originally Posted by victoro
To Jahrs:

"If you knew that your child was heading for danger would you not warn him because of your love and foreknowledge?"

Any adult or parent who tells a child that they are going to Hell and will burn for eternity if they don't believe in their God is guilty of child abuse including your pompous self righteous self. I was never told I was going to Hell if I didn't believe in some God by any of my family but I heard it plenty in church and from nutters like you. I figured out at about age 6 that every person that was promising something they couldn't deliver (everlasting life in a Heaven) was a false prophet. Why would anyone want to go to a Heaven full of people like you anyway?

So your parents didn’t teach you anything and shipped you off to church by yourself and you had it all figured out by 6 years old.
Are you mad at your parents?

My parents taught me how to be a good moral person with logic, not threats of burning in a Hell, promises of everlasting life or brainwashing. They exposed me to religion but let me make my own decisions about religion. I'd heard enough in Bible school and sermons age 6 to figure out if I wanted nothing to do with any religion but it was forced on me by many adults (not my family). I remember being forced to lead a morning prayer in my 6th grade class and this same teacher asked each of her students what church their parents attended. She was probably one of your "enlightened" ancestors.

Oh the horror. Under that kind of pressure did you go with a standard boilerplate prayer or did you make up a humdinger? In the 6th grade you probably could have got away with "God bless mama and daddy, teacher, and the starving pygmies in Africa.....amen".

I remember one time in church circa 1980 something a guest preacher said that the opening prayer was gonna be delivered by one of the members of the high school sunday school class I was in at the time and he would wait all afternoon for one of us to do it if he had to. As was our custom we were all sitting together. I looked around at the others and saw nothing but deer in the headlight looks. There was awkward silence in the whole place but the worst part was the Redskins game kicked off at 1 and I was hoping to only miss the first quarter......we may have even been playing the Cowboys that week. I knew I was gonna have to be the man. I stood up and issued forth a lengthy prayer full of soaring rhetoric, completely contrived and devoid of any Spirit whatsoever because it was coerced. The grownups said AMEN as did the guest pastor! I looked at my companions and in their eyes saw the gratitude of those saved from damnation itself! laugh I was king of Sunday School for a day and got home in time to see the Skins. Can't remember if they won or not. laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I believe in Jesus and I'll tell you about.. it once because the good book commands that, when the right situation dictates, of course. But if you don't respond in kind, I'll not do it again, because I figure if I planted the seed and the soil was fertile it will grow without me cultivating further.

There's been too many things happen where it could have gone either way but went my way when I prayed unselfishly and faithfully. You may think me a fool for believing it. But when it comes down to it, I don't really give a hoot what you think. If that were true and I'm a fool then so was Washington, Jefferson, Davy Crockett, Sam Houston and a whole unending list of great men and women who would have to be fools too and I don't think that's the case. I've known a few Episcopal Priests and they all had a minimum of a Master's Degree in something. One was a Phantom Pilot in Vietnam, another was a retired Airforce lifer officer who had a second career as a chemical engineer for a prominent company so I figure if people of that caliber can believe in the Holy Spirit I'm not too good for it. Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Oh yeah and I need to add this, if you don't believe and I do, if I'm wrong it's really no big deal, but if you're wrong, Hmmm...well I'll leave that with you.

Last edited by Filaman; 07/05/19.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
J
Jahrs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Filaman
I believe in Jesus and I'll tell you about.. it once because the good book commands that, when the right situation dictates, of course. But if you don't respond in kind, I'll not do it again, because I figure if I planted the seed and the soil was fertile it will grow without me cultivating further.

There's been too many things happen where it could have gone either way but went my way when I prayed unselfishly and faithfully. You may think me a fool for believing it. But when it comes down to it, I don't really give a hoot what you think. If that were true and I'm a fool then so was Washington, Jefferson, Davy Crockett, Sam Houston and a whole unending list of great men and women who would have to be fools too and I don't think that's the case. I've known a few Episcopal Priests and they all had a minimum of a Master's Degree in something. One was a Phantom Pilot in Vietnam, another was a retired Airforce lifer officer who had a second career as a chemical engineer for a prominent company so I figure if people of that caliber can believe in the Holy Spirit I'm not too good for it. Anyway, that's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Oh yeah and I need to add this, if you don't believe and I do, if I'm wrong it's really no big deal, but if you're wrong, Hmmm...well I'll leave that with you.

That’s one heck of a story. Thank you

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
You are most welcome brother.

What goes up must come down, what goes around comes around, there's no free lunch. Trump's comin' back, get over it!
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Over 40 years ago I prayed as hard as I knew how for the life of a small child who was my grandson.
That didn't work out and I have learned to accept that.
What was worse was the feeling I came away with that there was Nobody on the other end of the line.

Tried it again about 20 years later for a parent who was suffering and was ready to go.
That same feeling came back; loud and clear.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

I
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I
I never understood how anyone could falsely PROFESS a belief they did not sincerely hold. My parents raised me to be more honest than that.

Though I understand that such was a matter of survival during the dark ages and inquisition. Heck I guess it is still a matter of survival in many parts of the world.

The Priesthood does not take lightly the threatening of their livelihood.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
That's very true, God didn't destroy anything that showed they were repentive. Only the unrepentive and after many chances to repent were destroyed.

And when Jesus came to earth as man, he lived as us and died for us. He was the great repentance. He was love. He was forgiveness personified. That right there is why people perceive this difference in the Old and New Testaments. But the story of the New Testament was the prophecy if the Old Testament coming to pass.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The stories of the Old and New Testament are all tied together. I used to watch a TV Evangelist named Zola Levit. Zola was a Jew that accepted Christ as his savior. But he taught like a Rabbi. He was very knowledgeable in both books of the bible and could even with great knowledge converse on the books of the Catholic Bible that most other Christians don't recognize. He could explain everything in the New Testament and legitimize it with the writings of the Old Testament. I was really saddened when he died. Jews were God's chosen people and still are. And if the prophecies of the Bible are correct, those Jews that don't accept Christ now will in end times have another opportunity.

R
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
R
I've known a few Episcopal Priests and they all had a minimum of a Master's Degree in something. One was a Phantom Pilot in Vietnam, another was a retired Airforce lifer officer who had a second career as a chemical engineer for a prominent company so I figure if people of that caliber can believe in the Holy Spirit I'm not too good for it.

I have a late Uncle who was a gifted man intellectually. Had a mind like a roach motel.......facts got in but they never got out! He held a PHD in Chemistry and went on to a significant career in the petroleum industry. Although raised in the Baptist Church, when young and fresh out of grad school he set out to disprove Christianity in the hope of saving his family and friends from a lifetime of intellectual slavery to antiquated superstition. According to him, he really got after it, delving into the Greek and Hebrew, the whole 9 yards.....looking for something to support his ideas. Keep in mind this would have been the late 1940's or early 50's.....no internet or anything. Had to go to the library or buy reference books, whatever. That is the way this man was....when he got onto something he was like a bulldog.

Guess what? He messed around and got saved, and went on to be one of the strongest believers I have ever known....purely from his own research despite having started out with his mind all but made up in the other direction. He went on to start Bible study groups, churches, and helped lead hundreds of people to Christ......in his spare time. He was one of my many great mentors and role models.

I have to say that having experienced Salvation and having spent a lifetime as a believer, seeing saved people that had everything against them that should have been lost if circumstances counted, as well as people raised by godly parents who went to church as I did and blew it all off........ I've all but come to the conclusion that it ain't us that does the choosing......we just think we are doing it.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B3

J
Jahrs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J

Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Over 40 years ago I prayed as hard as I knew how for the life of a small child who was my grandson.
That didn't work out and I have learned to accept that.
What was worse was the feeling I came away with that there was Nobody on the other end of the line.

Tried it again about 20 years later for a parent who was suffering and was ready to go.
That same feeling came back; loud and clear.

Those are hard pills to swallow Bowsinger.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.... We as Christians want to tell others about the good news...

...If you knew that your child was heading for danger would you not warn him because of your love and foreknowledge?

Any reasonable parent [with all their transgressor faults] would not just warn their child, but would step-in and pull a child
back or rescue them from imminent danger and even do the same for a strangers child....now human parents are not always
right there on spot to prevent a child from all threats and imminent danger, ..but Christians say GOD is....yet how many kids
get killed running onto the road and other fatal incidences and mishaps when that 'all loving' God is watching.?

Why does that God not step in when even good human parents with their fallibilities inevitably fall short?

God doesn't interfere cause he is testing the free will of those naive little kids?...or maybe he is punishing
the transgressor parents by allowing the tragic but totally preventable death of their child?

Of course christians will 'send prayers' when they hear of such events, ..but why would anyone need to send prayers
when it was Gods will that such children should lose their life.?...what are those prayers supposed to do that God
hasn't already pre-determined and taken care of?

folks pray that the tsunami don't wash their house and family and only milking cow and plough bullock away, but when it does
they pray for what they lost, then they start praying for God to make life better..?...yet 'evidently' He thought the survivors
life is just how it is supposed to be [without all those things.]

David had a very strong assurance of the presence God.

Well it seems if you love God you can (among other transgressions) conduct premeditated murder just to steal anothers wife,
and still be considered a man after Gods own heart.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
BTW: I saw a young Asian woman in a busy food court briefly clasp her hands and close her eyes in silent grace before
enjoying her coffee and donut,

I thought it was sincere and cute, and she didn't ask for miracles, seems like she was just humble and appreciative
of the small everyday things many take for granted.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Originally Posted by RJY66
I've known a few Episcopal Priests and they all had a minimum of a Master's Degree in something. One was a Phantom Pilot in Vietnam, another was a retired Airforce lifer officer who had a second career as a chemical engineer for a prominent company so I figure if people of that caliber can believe in the Holy Spirit I'm not too good for it.

I have a late Uncle who was a gifted man intellectually. Had a mind like a roach motel.......facts got in but they never got out! He held a PHD in Chemistry and went on to a significant career in the petroleum industry. Although raised in the Baptist Church, when young and fresh out of grad school he set out to disprove Christianity in the hope of saving his family and friends from a lifetime of intellectual slavery to antiquated superstition. According to him, he really got after it, delving into the Greek and Hebrew, the whole 9 yards.....looking for something to support his ideas. Keep in mind this would have been the late 1940's or early 50's.....no internet or anything. Had to go to the library or buy reference books, whatever. That is the way this man was....when he got onto something he was like a bulldog.

Guess what? He messed around and got saved, and went on to be one of the strongest believers I have ever known....purely from his own research despite having started out with his mind all but made up in the other direction. He went on to start Bible study groups, churches, and helped lead hundreds of people to Christ......in his spare time. He was one of my many great mentors and role models.

I have to say that having experienceHfetime as a believer, seeing saved people that had everything against them that should have been lost if circumstances counted, as well as people raised by godly parents who went to church as I did and blew
it all off........ I've all but come to the conclusion that it ain't us that does the choosing......we just think we are doing it.

Fantastic testimony Brother! I would have loved to have met your uncle.

Having said all that, I'm not the pillar of the church. I'm a sinner from way back, but I know and believe that Jesus Christ is real and he is our redeeming force. No man cometh to the father except by me. He's as real as my Volkswagen Jetta, my .270 Winchester or my house. He's there, I can't touch him, feel him, or see him, but he's there. I do feel him in my heart.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
However most of the others you did not respond, but you claim to have proven they do not exist. You have not done that.

You have yet to even respond to my first example about the contradictions between God in the Old and God in the New Testament.

Below quoted from evidence demands a reason by Josh McDowell

Isn’t the Old Testament God a God of Hate and the New Testament God a God of Love?

Another of the frequent accusations against the Bible is that it contains two different conceptions of God.

The Old Testament allegedly presents only a God of wrath, while the New Testament allegedly depicts only a God of love.

The Old Testament contains stories of God’s commanding the destruction ofSodom, the annihilation of the Canaanites, and many other stories of God’s judgment and wrath. The accusers claim this demonstrates a primitive, warlike deity in contradistinction to the advanced teachings of Jesus to love one another and to turn the other cheek, as contained in the Sermon on the Mount.

These ideas about God seem to be in direct conflict, but a moment’s reflection will show otherwise.

Jesus Himself declared that the Old Testament may be summed up by the commandments to love God and love your neighbor (Matthew 22:37). He also observed that God in the Old Testament had continually desired love and mercy rather than sacrifice (Matthew 9:13; 12:7).

This attitude can be seen with statements such as, “Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked… and not rather that he should turn from his way and live?” (Ezekiel 18:23, RSV).

God would not have destroyed certain nations except that He is a God of justice and their evil could not go unchecked and condoned.

He did intend and desire to punish them as a part of His plan, in consistency with His holy nature and jealousy for His wayfaring people. What He desires in consistency with His pure character, He does in justice, in their case, providing they have not repented and come into harmony with His nature (Jeremiah 18).

In the case of the Amorites, God gave them hundreds of years to repent, yet they did not (Genesis 15:16). Noah preached 120 years to his generation before the great flood (Genesis 6:3). The proper Old Testament picture is one of a very patient God who gives these people untold opportunities to repent and come into harmony with Him, and only when they continually refuse does He judge and punish them for their evil deeds.

Contrary to some popular belief, the strongest statements of judgment and wrath in the Bible were made by the Lord Jesus Himself.

In Matthew 23, for example, He lashed out at the religious leaders of His day, calling them hypocrites and false leaders, and informing them that their destiny was eternal banishment from God’s presence.

In Matthew 10:34 (KJV), Jesus says that the purpose of His mission is not to unite but to divide. “Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.” He goes on to say that His word will cause a father to be against his son, a mother against her daughter, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law (Matthew 10:35).

We find judgment as well as love scattered very pervasively throughout the New Testament, and love and mercy as well as judgment throughout the Old Testament.

God is consistent and unchanging, but different situations call for different emphases. Therefore, when the two testaments are read the way they were intended, they reveal the same holy God who is rich in mercy, but who will not let sin go unpunished.

Thank you for responding and bringing your thoughts to the conversation.
I still can not agree. A God of justice would not have killed innocent people including kids. Jesus never condoned anything that evil.

Moses:
DEUTERONOMY 2:34 At that time we took all his towns and completely destroyed them – men, women and children. We left no survivors.
DEUTERONOMY 3:6 We completely destroyed them, as we had done with Sihon king of Heshbon, destroying every city – men, women and children.

There sits the heart of the matter. Like a festering boil.

Last edited by BOWSINGER; 07/05/19.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I

That is known as Pascal's wager. If Christianity isn't true, you are supposedly out nothing but some time. But where it fails is if Islam or something is really the true religion.

Besides, you can't make yourself believe. You either believe or you don't.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
JW's and mormons are a large % but have had fanatics of all christian denominations pester me. "born agains" are the absolute worst. Jew's never seem to pester me yet they are the most persecuted I find that odd. Maybe I'll put my JW encounter from last week up later if anyone wants to hear it.

Born Agains make mockery of Christianity in my opinion. They wear their status as "saved" on their sleeve and are pretty condescending to anyone who dares to believe differently than them.

Tarquin
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
TF49 Thanks for proving my point. I'm sure you don't even realize it.

To me, the strongest argument for the existence of God is the extremely improbability that functional proteins were produced by random, material processes. One thing is for sure: religious believers can be very annoying. Humble and sincere ones who live their beliefs and are not ostentatious about it are admirable, but most (like jaguarTx---yes, I said it) are complete hypocrites and give Christianity a bad name.

Tarquin
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
JW's and mormons are a large % but have had fanatics of all christian denominations pester me. "born agains" are the absolute worst. Jew's never seem to pester me yet they are the most persecuted I find that odd. Maybe I'll put my JW encounter from last week up later if anyone wants to hear it.

It's really not odd. Jews do not have a tradition of converting others to their religion. If you want to join, that's fine. If not, that's fine. I believe that JWs are required to convert so many people per each in order to go to heaven. Or maybe only the most 144,000 deserving get to go to heaven. I forget. As for Mormons, I don't know anything about them. The few Mormons i have known have been decent people and didn't try to convert me.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If the complexity of Biology seems unlikely to have evolved, how much more complex is the existence of a Creator? If one requires a Creator, so does the other, ad infinitum.

Page 28 of 79 1 2 26 27 28 29 30 78 79

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (160user, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 1lesfox, 163bc, 41 invisible), 2,461 guests, and 1,150 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,331
Posts18,526,685
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.