Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco
Originally Posted by verhoositz
After reading thru this thread several times I thought I'd join in and see what ya'll suggest for my similar/ but not exactly the same shoulder situation.

13 years ago at age 62 I had a huge 22oz non malignant tumor removed from underneath my right ear, with all 5 nerve trunks going into the right shouder either cut or torn. Long story short after that surgery I was not able to extend my arm or raise my elbow above my shouder. Spent 18 months of "rehab" and way too many opioids and eventually got to where I could pull my zipper up and brush my teeth with my right hand. Rejoined most daily activities over the years but with no overhead reach or strength and extreme pain possible whenever my elbow went above my shoulder.

Began to hunt again 10 years ago, but slowly the shoulder's reach and strength has begun to errode again. starting 3 years ago, and now I flinch big time with a Past Pad at the range, and again even on a game shot with a normally loaded 9lb+ 270 M70 Sporter...and have not shot more than a few rounds off the bench with anything much sincethen even with a T3 Swede SL, a USRAC M70 Fwt 7x57 because of pain and flinching. Bought a Wby VG 308 for the weight and a Wby VG SS 7Rmg even planned to put a muzzle brake on the Big 7 and planned to download for both of them on, but have not shot either of them.
Had a MRI 3 weeks ago that confirmed the lack of need for surgery for a shoulder seperation or torn rotator cuff repair job HOORAY and only confimed the presence of "bone spurs" ....Last week I got a steroid shot of 3 short/medium/long acting steriods and got some releif that comes and goes but was finally able to fully raise my hand to full overhead exstension for the 1st time in 13 years....and without pain. OTOH Doc sez I can only get these steriod shots every 4 months, but can get them for the rest of my life if need be.

I want to start hunting typical Texas critters again as at 75 I've still got a few years left in me ...so do I dump the deer rifles I have or just download them ? Or do like my attorney did after a car wreck wrecked his shoulder, when he went from a 270 and into a 22-250 and finally into a crossbow ...or do I just sell everything I;ve got and get into the smaller deer/hog capable calibers ?
Ron

Sorry to hear that verhoositz. Do you think the steroid shots provide enough relief to handle some recoil? I would think downloading for a heavier rifle with lighter bullets is a viable option to at least try and find out how it works for you. Maybe mono bullets are the way to go for lighter bullet weights.

Gringo, you have had quite a time of it. I have had 4 rotator repairs done myself...on the same shoulder much of it due to a head on highway accident. Waiting on a replacement now.
Hurts like a bad thing 24/7 ...yup opiods too.
I think these modern copper bullets have changed the rules and 100 gr .243 bullet will work on elk. I know of a neighbor here that kills elk every year with his 22/250( we kill a few from our places) Good luck with the shoulder stuff

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GL, Dunno yet as I had the shot only a week+ or so ago. My ?? was whether ya'lls thoughts on whether to sell/trade into some smaller calibers or how effective on game the download route in my current inventory was from ya'lls experiences. I've got some factory Lite 270 ammo on the shelf that'll be the 1st thing ASAP I try but lots of Retired Activities are eating my time since the BH & I have gotten into chasing Antique Euro furniture and have set up in 2 Sale locations and had been looking at opening a 3rd location before next Fall's selling season until April.

In late April we had a "mini" EF Zero tornado thru the neigborhood and I lost half a dozen 120'-160'+ pines that had stopped our world for 6-8 weeks. Next door they lost double that # of Old Growth Pines & other neighbors had trees root balls pulled out of the ground, with severe roof damage all around me, even knocked out the town's Municiple Water System's electric supply for over 10 days. I've still got temp power poles across the back fence so the Full Recovery Ain't Over anywhere in town by a long stretch but Life moves on and we survived better than others around us.

Late Last Fall we stopped the world when the BH had a stroke , with no permanent damage PTL and only a slight cogniton loss that shows up when things go too fast around her, but the probability of having both of her carotids' Roto Rootered at some point down the road... but it was a Bell Ringer notice of what we can and cannot handle time wise.

My desire to hunt with a CF rifle again is what's driving me to take advantage of the opportunities I'm finding as we open new doors with the Antique's bidnizz. But if I don't "schedule" a new activity then things that could be done never get planned for and done. Jst Ain't gonna sit in a rocking chair the rest of the my life and dream of what if I'd done this or that
Ron

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I killed a big Scimitar Horned oryx with an 85gr Barnes xbt going 2900fps from a little long barreled 6x47 ( 222 Magnum necked up to 6mm) I had just had a neck fusion. Base of the neck at 184yds, complete penetration. A 243 can push it a tad faster! smile

I have not killed an Oryx but this doesn't surprised me. Did you recover the bullet?- maybe not

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
A friend (another gun writer) has a wife who didn't hunt for many years, but eventually decided she wanted to. He started her off with a rimfire, as I recall, but soon got her shooting a .243 Winchester. She did very well, but before the next deer season in their home state, he managed to take her on a plains game safari in South Africa. She used the .243 with 85-grain Nosler Partitions, and killed an impala, gemsbok and blue wildebeest, all with one shot each. Gemsbok and blue wildebeest are supposed to be among the toughest of all the plains game.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I killed a big Scimitar Horned oryx with an 85gr Barnes xbt going 2900fps from a little long barreled 6x47 ( 222 Magnum necked up to 6mm) I had just had a neck fusion. Base of the neck at 184yds, complete penetration. A 243 can push it a tad faster! smile

I've killed 2 of them with the .223AI and Barnes TTSX, and another with a .243

A number of years ago the Doc X-rayed my "bad" shoulder....said there was a bunch of " traumatic arthritis". I asked how come only the right shoulder and not both..." I dunno...its some kind of repeated trauma...." Uhhhhhh...I wonder what that could be?

Anyway, since then I've had stellar luck with small bore guns, and the critters involved don't seem to realize the difference...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The first one blew a quarter sized exit hole, I did recover the 2nd shot, which was up through the brisket and broke the spine, almost exited the top skin. At 40"+, you don't take chances on horns called "Rapiers" ( CORRECTION: Scimitar=sword) Rapiers are Gemsbuk, and I've had them up close too! , ha. It weighed 83gr, perfect X. I took it out to Barnes's place and showed the girl at the desk. I teased her and asked if they would give me a box of bullets for "advertising" the thing. No, of course, ha. Its around the house here "somewhere"...

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 07/08/19.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Well crap..I sold the fairly pretty Wally World VG 243 wood stocked gun last year right before Christmas for what I had in it...thinking I'd never need/want a 243 again, after in 1968 I traded off a SAKO 579 243 'cause the bullets of the day was costing me lost WT's and 270's were a death ray, had never missed owning a 243 again. ..and then last winter the buddy who had bought a Wally World VG muy beaucoup pretty 308 'cause he couldn't find a 243, decided not to sell/trade the 308 to me to go with my cheapy VG blue/composite 308 I'd kept from the closeout sale as a beater... his wife thought the 308 was too pretty to sell and it has never been shot to date.

Seems like 243 bullets have "improved" a tad since the late '60's apparently. Based on what I'm getting here, I think 1st I'll try and find a Tikka T3 Factory wood stock to heavy the Swede SL up a little or send it down the road for a 6.5CM of what ever it will bring...and/or then mebbe sell/trade the USRAC Fwt M70 7x57 with an original folding sight and front hood for something of equal value in a 7-08 ...but could also like the idea of changing out the 7x57's +90% USRAC stock to something a little heavier too...just need to SHOOT something to get started. Thanks all for the thoughts and input.

The old RO at the Winchester Shooting Center in Dallas in the late '60's always greeted you with a "nothing smells better the 4895 smoke in the morning"...and I am missing it bigtime.
Ron .

TIME FOR TERM LIMITS !!!! Politicians are just like diapers, they need to be changed often and regularly for the same reason...Robin Williams.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The 7x57 would be an easy down-load, especially using the 120 NBT. One of my girl cousins has been killing Texas deer/hogs for 40yrs with a Mod 700 BDL 22-250 and 55gr factory soft points. I uesd a 220 Swift a few months before the oryx hunt. I shot the then available Federal factory 55gr trophy Bonded Bearclaw bullets. I killed an axis doe and two nice Blackbucks. Wicked killer. A 22-250 is easier to find great ammo for. You can pop crows/varmints in the off seasons and kill deer/hogs in the Fall/winter. Before brass got so hard to find, I played with a .224 Texas Trophy Hunter, fast twist. It is the 6mm Remington ( 7x57 case itself!) necked down to .224. I used the 64gr WW for varmints/plinking and the Swift 75gr Scirocco on a 300#+ hog ( neck shot). A standard 22-250 and 55gr Barnes would have done the same! Good luck to you pard and remember, my Sr Class HS girlfriend won "Miss Dogwood Festival" in Woodville, Tx in 1970! ha

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Comerade,

I have put a couple of Barnes X bullets weighing 130 grains through both shoulders of a bull elk. Both bullets exited. I have complete confidence in the 270 for elk with monolithic bullets.

Over the last few years,I have been using the 120 grain Hornady GMX in a 6.5 Creedmoor for deer and hogs. The recoil is about like a 243.
I think that would be my choice as a low recoil elk rifle.

If the Creedmoor with light bullets kicked a little too much,I would go down to a 243 without hesitation. I have seen one failure on game with a 243 but it involved a cup and core bullet hitting bone at close range. A 243 with partitions or monolithics will get the job done in my opinion.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I had to use the 220 Swift ( It was Mod 700 Classic take off barrel ( 24" sporter) I had put on a Model 7 synthetic, pillar bedded and the rear action screw changed to a Model 700 screw) and that 6x47 because my wife was with me when I asked the Dr. could I hunt after my neck fusion. His "Academic" reply was "Yes, but it has to be a rifle with very little recoil". So, I had a muzzlebrake put on the 220 Swift (just to show her it was just a loud .22 then) and the 6x47 I had made up was on a Mod 700 .223 action and a 27 inch Shilen ( to help with speed) I used BLC2 behind that 85xbt for a chronographed 2900 and few feet of change. It was accurate too, hovered right at 1" and under for 5 rds. I had it set in a Lone wolf synthetic ( which wasn't that lightweight, come to find out) so no brake was needed (the Swift didn't either, I just wanted her to see it, and I could "see the bullet strikes" for varmints then too) . Just a "pop" out int he field. I killed an axis doe first, high lung shot. Then a big Axis buck in full velvet. We later on saw the Oryx and I traded the Swift and some money to the rancher for the bull Oryx. He actually measured 41 1/2" long. 184yds, base of neck, 75yd insurance. I later had that rifle converted/rechambered to .243 and took it/gave it to my friend in South Africa for a culling rifle. He was ecstatic with that 27" barrel on it! I have played with many .243s and I don't care for the short barrels. I like at least 22" for coyotes and 24" for deer/everything else. It just makes me "feel better".
Another option is a 240 Weatherby. It is not a heavy recoiling round, but the same as a 25-06 with same weight bullets I'd say. My good friend out here uses a Mark V 240 Weatherby and 95 Partition ofr mule deer and elk. He and his son have killed some pretty big bulls with it too!

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 07/08/19.
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had to back off recoil for a couple years because of heart issues. I'm better now but I keep a model 70 22-250 around just in case my health takes another bad turn.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
As I mentioned, my cousin had always used a 22-250 with 55gr soft nose, but man, it does bloodshot the meat! wow! I have discovered though, contrary to my "Great Depression Survivor" Daddy's biggest fear...we never starved to death for lack of a few pounds of deer meat!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm in the same boat and have been shooting Contenders in rifle format for many years now. As things have progressed, I have even dropped down in bullet weight. My 7mm Bullberry (20" barrel) drives a 120 grain Nosler BT at 2651 fps while a 24" .300 Savage propels the 125 grain Accubond at 2740 fps. My 24" 30-30 uses the 125 grain Nosler BT at app. 2600 fps. All kill exceptionally well and don't leave me hurting excessively after using them. After a long drought of not pulling the trigger on anything, this past weekend I took a brute of a boar right at dark with the .300 Savage. The 125 grain AB performed perfectly.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That's is one good looking hog pard! I played with a Contender Carbine with Fred's barrels way back in the late 90s. First was a 17/K Hornet and the second was a 6mm Bullberry. He last made a 375 Winchester barrel for it but I gave it all to my SIL to keep for my grand daughter when she gets old enough. Fred is the one who turned me on to EezOx!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What a "great" looking hog...we got'em like that coming out of a swampy creek bottom at the end of the block with about a half acre of steady rooting every nite...unfortunately we are about a mile inside the City limits, but unfortunately the local Policia frowns on taking things into our own hands.

Good to see the guns being used, especially like the 6.5 Swede that I put away in the back of the closet being used that are about what I had hoped for when all the cutting on my neck & shoulder started in '06. Just need to get back into the weekly trigger pulling groove and overcome the lack of trigger time with a lighter than the maxmax loads I was used to with the 1st T3 Swede Hunter.
Ron

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You can really see the Eurasian features this hogs reverting back to. I forget how many generations of feral hogs it takes to begin to see this, but its evident he and his kinfolks have been feral awhile!

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
You can really see the Eurasian features this hogs reverting back to. I forget how many generations of feral hogs it takes to begin to see this, but its evident he and his kinfolks have been feral awhile!

Jim-

The ones below actually are more representative of the "look" of the hogs in this area.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Man! those definitely have that Eurasian "wooly hogs" look to them. High in the shoulders, low in the hips.

C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
I think the criteria ( of mine) works for hunting these steep mountains. The rifle is carried and seldom shot. I won't carry my 25/06 any longer because of the long ( 24") barrel.
I am a .270 wcf user but it easily is bull elk capable with the new, effective bullets these days. I think the .243 will be effective also with a ttsx or Swift bullet, as long as it creates a deep wound channel it will work.
A Barnes ttsx, Cutting Edge mth , Hornady GMX are nearly unstoppable.
Things have changed quite alot.
I hunt elk every year and have killed bulls at my own place on occassion but I like to hunt the high elevations and I gotta carry the thing on my shoulder to do it. The lighter, shorter and compact the better for me.Cheers

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
It'll work fine.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (17CalFan, 1936M71, 12savage, 16penny, 01Foreman400, 160user, 57 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,680
Posts18,474,994
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.