Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I need to get me labradar..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A sensitive nose? smile

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by jwall
...... And I agree, mine has kept me out of trouble as well.
Jerry

^ This.

I currently use a Labradar mainly for load development. Not interested in getting the fastest speed, just consistent speed. I've had several over the years, the first being a Chrony over 30 years ago.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Started out with a Chrony back around '99 and it still works fine albeit at the home of a friend. Pro Chrono showed up several years back and I have no problem with its performance. I never was one to pursue high velocity with any firearm, preferring precision instead.

I was a bit bemused to discover that low velocity spreads were not the Holy Grail. That came to light one day when a 5 fps spread was FAR less precise than 25 fps, this with a .338 Win.

ahumm - Oh yes, my friend. You'd 'think' that 'consistent' velocities INDICATE an accurate load . But NOT necessarily so.
There are other things that enter the equation. So far I haven't found THE thing most important to tell me what an accurate load is........

other than shooting groups.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 07/08/19.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
thanks again Mule Deer i would have P.M. you with these Questions ,but i think others may want to know these answers too. i would be interested in how well you like your new Labradar too in 5-6 months. Pete53

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
IC B2

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pete,

I've used it at the range probably 8-10 times now, so can provide something of a review already. Here are the positives:

Unlike the other popular chronograph that doesn't have to be out in front of the bench, the Magnetospeed, I don't have to change the chronograph from rifle to rifle, and the Labradar also doesn't affect accuracy or point-of-impact, as the Magnetospeed usually does. (Or, if using the MS on a stand, as some people do, I don't have to align the Labradar perfectly and closely in front of the muzzle for every rifle.)

It sets up very easily.

The 100-yard range I usually shoot at has target stands not just at 100 yards but 25, 50 and 75,, lined up alternately alongside the lane to the 100-yard target. Unlike light-screen chronographs, I can shoot at any of them without have to move the chronograph. This saves a considerable amount of time, as I normally shoot several rifles (and sometimes handguns or slug guns) during each range session.

I have read reviews of the Labradar that said it went through batteries very quickly--and it uses 6 AA's, which can get expensive. I purchased a batch of 24 at a local store, rather than automatically buying the optional rechargeable battery pack, to see if this was true. So far have not had to change the first set of batteries, perhaps because I turn the unit off when needing to change rifles or targets.

Here are the negatives:

Unlike the Oehler 35P, it doesn't provide a double-check of each bullet's velocity.

It also doesn't work on bullets under .20 caliber or going over 4000 fps, and the Oehler does. I don't shoot many of those, but still do more than occasionally (probably more than most shooters) because of what I do.

According to the directions, it won't work down around zero Fahrenheit, and I usually do some 0 (or minus) testing every winter. In 2017-18, for example, I made four cold tests with various rifles and loads. I haven't had an opportunity to test this, because the coldest its been since purchasing the Labradar is around 35-40.

Unless those limitations change, the Oehler is still my go-to-chronograph for many purposes.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
my reasons for changing to this type of chronograph " Labradar" is set-up would be easier,i am in a heated shooting house,but wonder if it still works if barrel is in shooting window ? but i can shoot inside window too if i had too ? my main reason is light problems with a Ohler in northern Minnesota we have very poor sunlight in winter . and again thank you for the info,Pete53

25 Creedmoor i am almost done with stock now to install the new barrel , i hope in the near future some rifle manufacture starts building this cartridge and sends one your way ! that would give me a big grin for better reloading data !

M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Pete, the Labradar used Doppler radar to sense the bullet's flight toward the target, recording it several times. It calculates the muzzle velocity from those several radar readings, so you can't use it inside a shooting house unless there's a hole in front of the chronograph.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
My current chronograph is from Caldwell. I use it mainly for verification on the consistency of velocities. I picked this one as it syncs via Bluetooth to my smart phone. I can observe each shot on the phone. The phone app allows me to save groups of shots into a file. It allows for deleting of a problem round It gives me my spread and SD. I can also attach a photo of my group to the file. I can record as many rounds as I wish to a file

Here is a screen shot of one of the files from my phone

[Linked Image]

An ad for my chrono

https://shop.brownells.com/shooting...msclkid=6034954b47c11458e438c8683fe545bd

In training to be an obedient master to my two labs

Shooting, fishing and hunting
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Technology marches on! I have the Pro Chrono Digital, which is the model just before the DLX. I purchased the bluetooth module in order to use my tablet or phone, but the DLX has built in Bluetooth.

Another option, if you are shopping around for a new Chronograph. The DLX lists for $135, but it might be a bit cheaper if you look around.

[Linked Image]

https://www.competitionelectronics.com/product/prochrono-dlx/

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I'd gladly forego the printer on my 35P for the Bluetooth feature, but I'd never give up the 35P's technical superiority. Maybe a Labradar someday...

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

Z
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Z
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Started out with a Chrony back around '99 and it still works fine albeit at the home of a friend. Pro Chrono showed up several years back and I have no problem with its performance. I never was one to pursue high velocity with any firearm, preferring precision instead.

I was a bit bemused to discover that low velocity spreads were not the Holy Grail. That came to light one day when a 5 fps spread was FAR less precise than 25 fps, this with a .338 Win.

ahumm - Oh yes, my friend. You'd 'think' that 'consistent' velocities INDICATE an accurate load . But NOT necessarily so.
There are other things that enter the equation. So far I haven't found THE thing most important to tell me what an accurate is........

other than shooting groups.

Jerry

True, consistent velocity doesn't indicate an accurate load. However, once you've sorted the accuracy out, it's important for long range shooting if you're into that.

"The 257 Roberts, some people like to call it the “.257 Bob.” I think these people should be hung in trees where crows can peck at them." - David Petzal
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Pete, the Labradar used Doppler radar to sense the bullet's flight toward the target, recording it several times. It calculates the muzzle velocity from those several radar readings, so you can't use it inside a shooting house unless there's a hole in front of the chronograph.

Mule Deer,
i do have 2 windows in front of my cement bench a left and a right both are 10 inch by 14 inches high 2 feet apart would that work ? i shoot out of the right hole . or do you have the phone number for Labradar. i hate to spend $600.00 if it won`t work in my warm dry shooting house .thank you,Pete53

Last edited by pete53; 07/09/19.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Nice writeup, Sir. You "Get it" with respect to measuring velocity.

I must admit, however, that the first photo made me think "He's got M57 screens AND knows about using a blast shield!!"

The thing I miss about those screens (don't have them since I retired) was their large (and forgiving) window. Of course, they also need standard power (AC).

Thanks for sharing your insight.

Last edited by BufordBoone; 07/08/19.
M
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
M
Buford,

Very much appreciated!

The Oehler photo was taken at the Western Powders pressure lab.

John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I hear a lot of talk about the time & trouble of setting up certain chronos.

** Dr. Oehler & M D tell us that chronos give better accuracy with 'farther' screen spacing.
>>> I mounted my screens EXACTLY 5 ' C - C in a 2X4 first then a 2X6 with S S III. No muss, No fuss, Doesn't take long.
I'm going to mount the IIIs flush with the top of the board, just haven't gotten a roundtuit.

I set up with the first screen 10' from my muzzle.

PIX for demo only.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good info, I usually shoot through a chronograph but ocassionally at them. This is why I would not borrow this tool from others.
I do get annoyed with all the useless info they gather these days. Start / stop is good enough for me. I don't need the additional Brain clutter.
Perhaps it is just me but slowing things down a tad to make entries in my journal is fun.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

Originally Posted by comerade
Good info, I usually shoot through a chronograph but ocassionally at them. This is why I would not borrow this tool from others.
I do get annoyed with all the useless info they gather these days. Start / stop is good enough for me. I don't need the additional Brain clutter.
Perhaps it is just me but slowing things down a tad to make entries in my journal is fun.

I would say that most people don't need an expensive chronograph. An error of a few fps isn't going to make any difference to the majority of reloaders, but like a lot of hobby related things, people are willing to spend huge amounts to say that they own certain pieces of equipment.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
living in Minnesota we have winter and the ground is white up to 6 months a year ,but i have plenty time to reload and shoot my rifles all winter long but getting enough light in the winter for my chronograph to work right can be a big problem with all the trees in my rifle range in the winter. but shooting in a warm dry shooting house is very nice and i am not giving that up. so if i can find a way to use a Labradar Chronograph inside this shooting house i will purchase one , besides setting up and taking down my Ohler is a pain in the rear end in the winter most of the time it involves shoveling snow too so the Ohler is level . if its cloudy the chronograph will not work otherwise i have to wait tell 10 or 11 am for the sun to be high enough for any chronograph to work in the winter and be done by 2 pm, so i have a very short window of opportunity to use a chronograph too. this is why i ask these questions about a Labradar Chronograph i need or want a different type way to measure FPS better and longer in the winter in my warm dry shooting house. believe me once you shoot in this type of shooting house you won`t ever again enjoy shooting in the winter outdoors on cold nasty bench again all dressed up trying to stay warm or even when its hot i am in the shade with a big over head fan keep`n me cooler too.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use my Labradar at an indoor pistol range. As long as the front of the unit is unobstructed by a barrier, I don't see it being an issue unless there is a temperature issue as discussed by MD earlier.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

163 members (2ndwind, 1minute, 673, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 805, 17 invisible), 2,286 guests, and 1,001 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,931
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.