Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smarquez
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I'd rather watch a cartoon.

It is part cartoon.

I know. I'd rather watch a full cartoon of Midway than a part-cartoon that doesn't try to be realistic. The movie Fortress did an excellent job with CGI. It looked real.

The dumbasses that did Beowulf sucked at it. I'm afraid the Midway reboot is going to be disappointing like Beowulf.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by drover
Just watched the promo - way too much CGI for me. If it looks that fake on a small laptop screen I can only imagine how bad it will look on a large screen.

+2 on blairvt's comment also.

drover

What's GCI??

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would love to see a new movie like that. But, they will probably put a p hagg or two in there and have women or minorities in positions they did not fill in the 1940's military. No way will it be accurate enough to tell the great story that was the Battle of Midway. I guess I will stay home.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
I would love to see a new movie like that. But, they will probably put a p hagg or two in there and have women or minorities in positions they did not fill in the 1940's military. No way will it be accurate enough to tell the great story that was the Battle of Midway. I guess I will stay home.

Yea. Even from the trailer you can see that they gave it the whole modern interpretation movie. It will be saved for when it's on TV on a snowy Saturday. The need to do CGI when there are real Zeros and SBDs and Wildcats out there to film leaves me pissed especially when they portray everyone flying around at 20 feet.

The 1970s Midway had a lot of issues but they had a lot more limitations back in the day and they "mostly" restrained from making it a soap opera. Saw it in the theaters with my Grandfather and the "sensaround" sound system. You sure know it when the first bomb went off!

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
It is a remake by holly wood, it will be wrong.
......and somehow, anti-Trump...

Originally Posted by Pugs

The 1970s Midway had a lot of issues but they had a lot more limitations back in the day and they "mostly" restrained from making it a soap opera. Saw it in the theaters with my Grandfather and the "sensaround" sound system. You sure know it when the first bomb went off!
They were still filming that movie when our sub was in HI for torpedo loading.. We could see the Zeros trailing smoke for some of the shots not to far off the beach.. It was really cool to see those old planes going through their paces.. This was back in very early '69, IIRC...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

1911a1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
It is a remake by holly wood, it will be wrong.
......and somehow, anti-Trump...

Originally Posted by Pugs

They were still filming that movie when our sub was in HI for torpedo loading.. We could see the Zeros trailing smoke for some of the shots not to far off the beach.. It was really cool to see those old planes going through their paces.. This was back in very early '69, IIRC...

In the '76 midway wasn't most of the newer scenes with planes that were not archival lifted from the earlier movie Tora Tora Tora.which was released in about '70.

Figures don't lie, But Liars figure
Assumption is the mother of mistakes
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Hancock27
Originally Posted by drover
Just watched the promo - way too much CGI for me. If it looks that fake on a small laptop screen I can only imagine how bad it will look on a large screen.

+2 on blairvt's comment also.

drover

What's GCI??

Really, what is CGI?

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I believe it stands for Computer Generated Input.
Computer animation in other words.
It allows the filmmakers to computer simulate all these crazy stunts and massive explosions that they now use because nobody has the ability anymore to write an interesting plot! grin
A little of it would be ok. It's pretty hard to special affects a torpedo bomber attacking a carrier, so they use CGI. Trouble is they usually overdo it. The laws of physics goes out the window and trucks run 70 mph on a flat tire, cars jump gorges hundreds of feet and land flat without damage, and hand grenades explode like 50'lbs of C4. It ends up looking stupid to us old bastards, but the younger crowd seems to love it. grin
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Of course many of us, like me, will go see it even if it sucks, thanks for the heads up.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Looks exactly like a flight sim. Intentionally recreating a video game experience rather than trying to represent reality. Obvious after three seconds.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by 1911a1
Stirred me up enough to get out my "Midway" DVD starring Charlton Heston.

That movie had a helluva cast, practically everyone who was anyone, or was gonna be anyone, was in it. If you're watching close, you can see Tom Selleck as a Marine on the beach, Erik Estrada in his earliest years, and lots and lots of others who went on to have "big" careers.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I really like watching older movies, so I habitually glance through the bargain racks.
I got a 4 war movie set with Midway, To Hell and Back, McCarthur, and one I don't remember the title. It's about a commando raid freeing US POWs from a Jap camp.
I snapped it up for $5! grin
As Mike said, I'm a history nerd as well, so it's on my list. I hope they stayed true to the history as did the original, and I hope it's not sappy or overloaded with CGI explosions (looks like it is).
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's about a commando raid freeing US POWs from a Jap camp.

The Great Raid.

In real life, a helluva accomplishment. Good movie, too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

543 members (1moredeer, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 10gaugeman, 219 Wasp, 160user, 51 invisible), 3,190 guests, and 1,221 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,660
Posts18,534,007
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.