-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
G
OP Offline
G
Just bought a new pistol...Glock G45. Do I need to "break-in" the barrel like we do for rifles? If so, what procedure would you recommend? Thanks...

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

I break them in just like I break in rifles, I shoot them a bunch.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
No "break in" required. Your best bet would be to run 2,000 rounds through the gun without cleaning (lube as needed) and see what, if anything, breaks. By the end of that you'll have a fully-vetted pistol you're familiar with.

Last edited by Oregon45; 07/11/19.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gary from Denver
Just bought a new pistol...Glock G45. Do I need to "break-in" the barrel like we do for rifles? If so, what procedure would you recommend? Thanks...

Thoroughly clean it first. Fire three rounds. Clean it again. Fire three rounds. Clean it again . Fire three rounds. Repeat ten times. Get back to me after you've done this for the next stage in the break in process.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Thoroughly clean it first. Fire three rounds. Clean it again. Fire three rounds. Clean it again . Fire three rounds. Repeat ten times. Get back to me after you've done this for the next stage in the break in process.

At least put a smiley there so he knows you're joking.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
500 rounds through there fast as you can. 😜

But seriously, I like to run a lubed oily patch down the tube to make sure there’s no metal shavings left from machining. And give it a good lubing.

No break in needed other than shooting it. It’s a Glock. Your not gonna hurt it.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/11/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You need to scrub the barrel every single round for the first 2,500 rounds fired to even hope to get 4" groups at 2.5 yds. It helps a ton if you use HG-Bore-Accuracy Handgun Bore Accu-Lube.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

In all seriousness, as suggested above, wiping out the bore before you shoot is a good idea. There's no break in process.

Good choice buying a Glock. It's the standard against which every other defensive handgun is compared to.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MarineHawk

You need to scrub the barrel every single round for the first 2,500 rounds fired to even hope to get 4" groups at 2.5 yds. It helps a ton if you use HG-Bore-Accuracy Handgun Bore Accu-Lube.

Rolling here. grin

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
It has already been test fired. Bore has been wiped.

Do not remove the gold lube. It helps in the break in.

Just shoot it. A lot. Enjoy.

IC B3

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by WTM45
It has already been test fired. Bore has been wiped.

Good point.

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by WTM45

Do not remove the gold lube. It helps in the break in.

No, it doesn't, at least not any more than any other gun oil or grease. It's always funny to hear made-up stuff like this. It's just a lube, and you are free to remove it and re-lube, or to use it for lube over the gun's entire lifetime, it doesn't matter.

It's not gold colored anyway, it's copper. It's just copper antiseize, and Glock uses it for one reason - it stays put when the gun is in storage better than other oils or greases. That is all.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Too many remove it and don't re-lube with anything. Best to leave it right there during break in.
The factory manual and preventative maintenance guidelines recommend a "quality gun oil."
And the factory manual recommends leaving it on.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
se

Rolling here. grin

Seriously, the Acu-Lube will keep your groups better than 4" at 2,5 yds for most loads approved by the European Union. .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
se

Rolling here. grin

Seriously, the Acu-Lube will keep your groups better than 4" at 2.5 yds for most loads approved by the European Union. .

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For a 9mm Glock, open the action to make sure there is no barrel obstruction or gunk in the barrel, load it with +P level jacketed ammo, and start shooting. After the recoil spring assembly gets broken in, you can step down the power level. The RSA is what needs to be broken in.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
No one here recommended the little known, super secret, underwater break in procedure? blush

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
for the 9mm 100 grit wet-dry sandpaper wrapped on a dowel of appropriate size, make 200 swipes thru the bore using peanut butter in the barrel to keep the sandpaper well oiled.

D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Handguns do not require any break-in.

In fact, I don't believe well made rifle barrels need a break-in.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by jimmyp
for the 9mm 100 grit wet-dry sandpaper wrapped on a dowel of appropriate size, make 200 swipes thru the bore using peanut butter in the barrel to keep the sandpaper well oiled.

LOL. grin

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

106 members (7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, Akhutr, 79S, 18 invisible), 1,800 guests, and 987 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,324
Posts18,526,440
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.