Hop To
Page 55 of 79 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 78 79
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
I notice how our moral compass is out there for all to see and critique but the skeptics have not been willing to provide what they expect from others. And they want the right to critique without the risk of an equal critique

Reading and reading and reading here. As I see it. You TS, keep coming back to one's personal morals and who has a right based upon their personal morals to judge the morals of the Bible.

And then we have a group, to which I subscribe, who seem to be saying "look the OT and the NT are contradictory at their very foundation which is the law and the morality taught therein".

What I would protest and I think I am seeing in others' writings. I am not judging either the Nt or the OT by MY morals.

But judge the OT purely by the morals of the NT, and judge the NT purely by the morals of the OT. My morals are irrelevant. I am an impartial observer. To be otherwise would not be a fair judgement.

The morals of the OT come up severely short compared to the NT in matters of love, forgiveness, and inclusiveness.

The morals of the NT come up severely short compared to the OT in matters of Law.

An impartial observer could easily conclude they were authored by two entirely different entities.

I'm looking at two things:
1. If a person does not believe in any morals or have any moral code of conduct they are not qualified to judge morality because their amoral prejudice will likely pervert their moral judgment because they have already rejected the value of any moral standards and that discussion will be pointless. They will focused on seeing contradictions and will not be open to reconciliations.
2. I'm also asking for their proposed standard of moral measurement by which we will judge the Bible--whether that is personal, corporate, Hammurabi's or Buddha's. We need to fairly declare that standard before we engage in any more moral analysis.Not having that in place will again be a fruitless exercise because someone will likely invent their rules of logic and moral standards as we go.

Why am I insisting on this? We have pages which have already demonstrated that this is how it has already gone. We dealt with alleged contradictions, some of which a young teenager with a little common sense could have figured out and seen they were not contradictions at all ... and then they get repeated again. When I see this happen I can only assume someone is not looking for a profitable discourse or even answers, but is looking to obfuscate.

I am ready to take this forward into more detail if a skeptic or the group is willing to engage with all of the moral benchmark data on the table. Mine is already there and I am waiting.

Last edited by Thunderstick; 07/11/19.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Western moral codes have been traced back to fourth century Greece and were more or less copied into the Hebrew Bible. Do no harm and do to others as you have them do to you. Very simple and no need to write them down. In the Old Testament they were written down and ignored.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Looks like DBT is going to pass ...

Unlike some, I have a life to live offline. I cannot be here 24/7.

DBT

I reiterate if you wish to do a more in-depth moral analysis of the Bible you need to declare:

My study of the bible has been in far more depth than yours. Based on what you write, you ignore anything that looks like a contradiction or a problem or order to maintain the preferred version, the things that are taught in Sunday school.

1. if you are a moral person
2.if you have a moral code and then provide it in written form
3. if you believe the NT is a reliable record of Jesus' teachings.

It is sheer folly to proceed without this understanding in place. You want to engage in a moral analysis but you refuse to identify by what standard we are evaluating the coherency of Bible morality. Again if you do not have a moral code you are not a moral person and therefore not qualified to do a moral analysis of any type. Your amorality or immorality will prejudice you against any sound moral argument. This would be same as taking a convicted criminal from a penitentiary and sitting him in the judge's seat to interpret case law as he saw fit.

Again I am calling you out -- what do you believe about the reliability of the record of Jesus' teachings and what are your moral credentials?

Once again. It is not my moral standards that are under question. It is the moral standards of the bible that are under question. Your trying to impose your own conditions onto me as way of deflection from the actual issues.

Do you really mean to say that if I don't provide a description of my own moral standards there are no contradictions in the bible?

That is not an argument. It's ludicrous.

That there are problems in the bible is undeniable.
For example;

If God is good to all and his tender mercies are all of his works;

''The Lord is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.''Psalm 145:9

Yet God has a man killed for gathering sticks on a Sabbath;

While the people of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. 33 And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron and to all the congregation. 34 They put him in custody, because it had not been made clear what should be done to him. 35 And the LORD said to Moses, The man shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp. 36 And all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him to death with stones, as the LORD commanded Moses. Numbers 15:32-36:

God is clearly not good to all and has shown no mercy toward what to us as mere humans would call a trivial offense. Certainly not a Capital Crime.

We have;

1)God is good to all
2)God kills a man for gathering sticks.
3)God showed no goodness toward that man
4)The Lord is a God of tender mercy.
5) The Lord did not show any mercy for a man gathering sticks on a Sabbath.

God is good to all/God was not good toward the gatherer of sticks'

The lord is a God of tender mercy/ The Lord showed no mercy for a trivial offense.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
So DBT
If you have don't believe the Words of Jesus as recorded are a reliable record then we can't make a comparative analysis as we might be dealing with a skewed record.
Additionally you have not provided your personal moral code that you believe in. If you have no moral code then you are not a moral person. If you are not a moral person you are not qualified to make any moral analysis or draw any moral conclusions.

I am calling you out .... what is the moral code that you subscribe to, and where can I find it to read it?

Even rats exhibit moral behaviors. Are you claiming they have a "written code"?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
DBT
...and yes I have declared the Bible as my moral code and am prepared to defend that position and the coherency of Bible morality...

Great.

Tell us about you position on Slavery.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm not aware of anything stated that way in the OT. We have something similar in "love your neighbor as yourself. "
Is this the moral code that you would subscribe to and use as a test of morality?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by Starman
The Book of LIFe has already been written and filled with the names that shall appear.
hence the fate of the saved and unsaved are pre-ordained / already decided.

Yet the likes of JagX and TF49 continue attempts to offer hope and save people from a fate in a burning hell.

Maybe they will explain What special deal or arrangement they have with God that will force his hand
to [edit] add to the contents of the Book of Life..?

I have requested jAg tell the CF on what page # his name appears, apparently he has not seen his name listed
nor can he provide any supportive evidence.

So, He knew you before you were born and what you would choose. Pretty smart, huh? He knew what Cain would do.

Those who wrote our laws loved people too and wanted civil society. Some choose to kill. Their being hung does not mean the lawmen hate them.

Thats too difficult for some to grasp.

You are again correct. God is omniscient. He knows what is going to happen. That does not mean that a man does not have a free will.

Some here will simply cop out on this or they simply cannot grapes the concept...... the individual is presented with a decision or circumstance. He evaluates and makes a choice..... it is his choice to make and he does. The infinite omniscient God knew what he would choose.

Simpe concept. Very much like a parent, who knows his child very well, given certain circumstances, can discern how that child will react .....

Not the same.

The parents can be wrong, and they did not choose the out come of your being before you were made.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
I'm not aware of anything stated that way in the OT. We have something similar in "love your neighbor as yourself. "
Is this the moral code that you would subscribe to and use as a test of morality?

Keep in mind, by "thy neighbor" the OT means other Jews.

Love other Jews as yourself, but buy your slaves from the Heathen around you.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 07/11/19.

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper

Love other Jews as yourself, but by your slaves from the Heathen around you.

i just hate it when cultures collide.

always hopeful peaceful solutions to differences can be found.

good diplomats are worth their weight in gold.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

1. If a person does not believe in any morals or have any moral code of conduct they are not qualified to judge morality because their amoral prejudice will likely pervert their moral judgment because they have already rejected the value of any moral standards and that discussion will be pointless. They will focused on seeing contradictions and will not be open to reconciliations.

No,you are trying to impose your own rules.

This issue has absolutely nothing to do with the moral standards of the poster.

The issue of contradictions is about what the bible itself says about morality and what the bible itself describes about the character and actions of its god.

A god that evolved through time, thought and culture from a vicious, vindictive deity to the relatively more tolerant God of the new testament.

'Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?" (Amos
3:6, KJV)

"Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good? "
(Lamentations 3:38)

The Lord is a man of war, Exodus 15:3.

"The Lord shall go forth as a mighty man, He shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: He shall cry, yea roar; He shall prevail against His enemies". Isaiah 42:13

Like as the lion and the young lion roaring on his prey . . . so
shall the Lord of hosts come down to fight for Mount Zion" Isa. 31:4

As opposed to:

1 Corinthians 13; Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.''

1 John 4:7-8; Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

As any objective reader can see, these are two entirely different descriptions, two opposing descriptions that clearly contradict each other.

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT

Looks like DBT is going to pass ...

Unlike some, I have a life to live offline. I cannot be here 24/7.

DBT

I reiterate if you wish to do a more in-depth moral analysis of the Bible you need to declare:

My study of the bible has been in far more depth than yours. Based on what you write, you ignore anything that looks like a contradiction or a problem or order to maintain the preferred version, the things that are taught in Sunday school.

1. if you are a moral person
2.if you have a moral code and then provide it in written form
3. if you believe the NT is a reliable record of Jesus' teachings.

It is sheer folly to proceed without this understanding in place. You want to engage in a moral analysis but you refuse to identify by what standard we are evaluating the coherency of Bible morality. Again if you do not have a moral code you are not a moral person and therefore not qualified to do a moral analysis of any type. Your amorality or immorality will prejudice you against any sound moral argument. This would be same as taking a convicted criminal from a penitentiary and sitting him in the judge's seat to interpret case law as he saw fit.

Again I am calling you out -- what do you believe about the reliability of the record of Jesus' teachings and what are your moral credentials?

Once again. It is not my moral standards that are under question. It is the moral standards of the bible that are under question. Your trying to impose your own conditions onto me as way of deflection from the actual issues.

Do you really mean to say that if I don't provide a description of my own moral standards there are no contradictions in the bible?

For example;

''The Lord is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.''Psalm 145:9

While the people of Israel were in the wilderness, they found a man gathering sticks on the Sabbath day. 33 And those who found him gathering sticks brought him to Moses and Aaron and to all the congregation. 34 They put him in custody, because it had not been made clear what should be done to him. 35 And the LORD said to Moses, The man shall be put to death; all the congregation shall stone him with stones outside the camp. 36 And all the congregation brought him outside the camp and stoned him to death with stones, as the LORD commanded Moses. Numbers 15:32-36:

God is clearly not good to all and has shown no mercy toward what to us as mere humans would call a trivial offense. Certainly not a Capital Crime.

We have;

1)God is good to all

The lord is a God of tender mercy/ The Lord showed no mercy for a trivial offens

So it does look like you are passing. I'm not seeing you reference your moral standards by which you make moral conclusions.
Furthermore you folks were initially wanting the difference between the old and new explained but now you are critiquing the old. You exhibit my point. With no understanding in place you guys are all making random potshots.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Western moral codes have been traced back to fourth century Greece and were more or less copied into the Hebrew Bible. Do no harm and do to others as you have them do to you. Very simple and no need to write them down. In the Old Testament they were written down and ignored.

Those same idea's appear in the Vedas a thousand years before the inception of the Bible.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Gus

Love other Jews as yourself, but by your slaves from the Heathen around you.

i just hate it when cultures collide.

always hopeful peaceful solutions to differences can be found.

good diplomats are worth their weight in gold.

In the long term, free and fair trade is more profitable than war.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N

And yes as you note no skeptic here seems willing to provide a written moral code that they will stand by. That is a very evident sign of the weakness of their system and why moral discussions with them are often unproductive. I did not ask for belief in deity, I asked for a written moral code for reference.

I'm still waiting for that--lacking that there is no moral foundation in skepticism and no means by which a skeptic can consider themselves a moral person.

Do you have a moral code that you ascribe to? Is it written or can it be written? Does anyone else use it or is it just your personal opinion?

Easy.......summed up.
Not sure if I’m a ‘skeptic’ or not, though you’d likely classify me as such.
1) Courage
2) Truth
3) Honour
4) Fidelity
5) Discipline
6) Hospitality
7) Industriousness
8) Self Reliance
9) Perseverance

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G

In the long term, free and fair trade is more profitable than war.

actually, that is so true. rattling sabers of one kind or another is almost always present.

the japanese were probably the best original builders or makers of steel of anyone in the world.

the british and the germans with their sheffield, and soligenen steel weren't much short on the list either.

i do recall that the greeks access to really good metallurgy, and supplied the philistines. the hebrews less so.

so, they (the hebrews) wandered around in the desert for a spell prior to taking over the holy land.

it would have been simple to follow the coastline up to the holy land, except for the philistines with their weapon technolgy.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

For example;

We have;

1)God is good to all

The lord is a God of tender mercy/ The Lord showed no mercy for a trivial offense.

You just claimed your morals are not involved and then you turn around and make a moral judgment on God's law and the application of it. Notice the 4 places in bold where you made a moral judgment. Upon what basis are you making your judgments of what is a trivial offense and what is a capital offense and what is and what is not merciful? In the very post where you said your morals are irrelevant you made a judgment based solely on your morals with no reference to a recognized moral standard. You could not have illustrated my point better.

So what is your moral standard to determine trivial and capital offenses?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I enjoyed this one!

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

So it does look like you are passing. I'm not seeing you reference your moral standards by which you make moral conclusions.

I'm not the one avoiding the issue by trying to impose personal conditions that have nothing to do with subject matter: contradictions in the bible. If you understand what a contradiction entails.

Furthermore you folks were initially wanting the difference between the old and new explained but now you are critiquing the old. You exhibit my point. With no understanding in place you guys are all making random potshots.

When you say ''no understanding in place'' you actually mean your interpretation, an interpretation that ignores or dismisses what the verses actually say by imposing your own meaning, your own rules.

That has been your ploy all along.

In case I am accused of folding again, I have business to attend to. Back in a few hours. Cheers.

Last edited by DBT; 07/11/19.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I enjoyed this one!

So you should. It is the truth. Inconvenient truths like contradictions in the bible are being dismissed.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
I notice how our moral compass is out there for all to see and critique but the skeptics have not been willing to provide what they expect from others. And they want the right to critique without the risk of an equal critique

Reading and reading and reading here. As I see it. You TS, keep coming back to one's personal morals and who has a right based upon their personal morals to judge the morals of the Bible.

And then we have a group, to which I subscribe, who seem to be saying "look the OT and the NT are contradictory at their very foundation which is the law and the morality taught therein".

What I would protest and I think I am seeing in others' writings. I am not judging either the Nt or the OT by MY morals.

But judge the OT purely by the morals of the NT, and judge the NT purely by the morals of the OT. My morals are irrelevant. I am an impartial observer. To be otherwise would not be a fair judgement.

The morals of the OT come up severely short compared to the NT in matters of love, forgiveness, and inclusiveness.

The morals of the NT come up severely short compared to the OT in matters of Law.

An impartial observer could easily conclude they were authored by two entirely different entities.

2. I'm also asking for their proposed standard of moral measurement by which we will judge the Bible--whether that is personal, corporate, Hammurabi's or Buddha's. We need to fairly declare that standard before we engage in any more moral analysis.Not having that in place will again be a fruitless exercise because someone will likely invent their rules of logic and moral standards as we go.

Why am I insisting on this? We have pages which have already demonstrated that this is how it has already gone. We dealt with alleged contradictions, some of which a young teenager with a little common sense could have figured out and seen they were not contradictions at all ... and then they get repeated again. When I see this happen I can only assume someone is not looking for a profitable discourse or even answers, but is looking to obfuscate.

I am ready to take this forward into more detail if a skeptic or the group is willing to engage with all of the moral benchmark data on the table. Mine is already there and I am waiting.

Thunderstick:

Here's the six moral foundations that make up moral systems:

1) Care/harm: This foundation is related to our long evolution as mammals with attachment systems and an ability to feel (and dislike) the pain of others. It underlies virtues of kindness, gentleness, and nurturance.

2) Fairness/cheating: This foundation is related to the evolutionary process of reciprocal altruism. It generates ideas of justice, rights, and autonomy. [Note: In our original conception, Fairness included concerns about equality, which are more strongly endorsed by political liberals. However, as we reformulated the theory in 2011 based on new data, we emphasize proportionality, which is endorsed by everyone, but is more strongly endorsed by conservatives]

3) Loyalty/betrayal: This foundation is related to our long history as tribal creatures able to form shifting coalitions. It underlies virtues of patriotism and self-sacrifice for the group. It is active anytime people feel that it's "one for all, and all for one."

4) Authority/subversion: This foundation was shaped by our long primate history of hierarchical social interactions. It underlies virtues of leadership and followership, including deference to legitimate authority and respect for traditions.

5) Sanctity/degradation: This foundation was shaped by the psychology of disgust and contamination. It underlies religious notions of striving to live in an elevated, less carnal, more noble way. It underlies the widespread idea that the body is a temple which can be desecrated by immoral activities and contaminants (an idea not unique to religious traditions).

6) Liberty/oppression: This foundation is about the feelings of reactance and resentment people feel toward those who dominate them and restrict their liberty. Its intuitions are often in tension with those of the authority foundation. The hatred of bullies and dominators motivates people to come together, in solidarity, to oppose or take down the oppressor.

Here's a couple of video's discussing how liberals, conservatives, and libertarian order these differently:

Page 55 of 79 1 2 53 54 55 56 57 78 79

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

363 members (16penny, 1badf350, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 46 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,492
Posts18,472,015
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.