Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Glyphosate mixed according to label instructions will kill it, and just about anything else. Tractor Supply sells their 41% concentrate for $10/quart. It may kill plants a little slower than Roundup brand, but at 1/3 the cost, I can wait. I found out last year that there is a glyphosate-resistant horseweed in some areas; unfortunately the horseweed around my place is the resistant variety.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
GB4

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I've only got about an acre that I'm having to work on. My problem is, it's also covered with honeysuckle bushes. I want to cut the honeysuckle bushes, but the ground under them is carpeted with poison ivy.

I've got to get rid of the poison ivy first.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I fight poison oak on our property, but use a much weaker dose of glysophate - about 4 ounces per gallon plus a sticker. I want the plant to die slowly so it has more time to get to the roots. If I go to a higher concentration I find that the leaves burn off quickly, it doesn't get all the way to the roots and it just comes back a year later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
If you have good fences, goats love the stuff and they're immune to it. They'll clean it right up. Just don't pet them after they've been wallowing in it.
When my daughter was a 4H kid we had goats. They killed every broadleaf on the place except goatweed. Poison ivy was completely eliminated.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mix glyphosate and 2,4D together, at the strong rates.
They work on different plants, different ways,
But they each support the other, a 1-2 punch.

Both can be bought cheap at your local farm garden store.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Get some goats.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I’ve had it a few times, not a fun time!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Roundup and 2-4-d kills with one application.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Nobody's mentioned puttin a little dish soap in the glyph mix yet, so I'll throw it in here.

1/4 cup in your 2 gallon sprayer will enhance the effectiveness of the spray, makin it go farther.

Add the water first, then concentrate then soap, so it don't foam up while mixin it.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Poison oak out here. My BIL uses el cheapo bleach from Walmart. Says it works.

Old Corps

Semper Fi

FJB
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by hotsoup

That's the ticket. Glyphosate is mostly a grass killer. 2-4-d works better on broad-leafs.
2-4-d by itself will probably kill the ivy and won't kill any grass.

Last edited by ChuckKY; 07/12/19.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Guess I must have a natural resistance to poison ivy and such because I've been in and all around it countless times in my life and so far have never had any reaction from it whatsoever,

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by joken2

Guess I must have a natural resistance to poison ivy and such because I've been in and all around it countless times in my life and so far have never had any reaction from it whatsoever,

Many people seem to be immune like that. Then one day they get in the stuff and it nails them. Apparently a susceptibility slowly builds up in the body then bang, you get hit.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I got it horribly bad as a kid. Always had a span during the summer when some part of me looked like I had massive chemical burns. Eyes swelled shut, fingers swollen to half again their normal size and covered in blisters, legs raw and weeping, terrible stuff.

Then in my late teens I seemed to have built a resistance and rarely had a reaction and when I did it was just a few bumps or a mild rash.

Now after I’d moved to a poison ivy free zone for 10 years and came back home I seem to get it just as badly as when I was a little guy. Guess my resistance went away since I wasn’t using it.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not allergic to poison ivy or mosquitos, but I get a rash from brushing up against a Christmas tree. Go figure.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
The
Originally Posted by ChuckKY
Originally Posted by hotsoup

That's the ticket. Glyphosate is mostly a grass killer. 2-4-d works better on broad-leafs.

The glyphosate seems to be killing it fairly well. I don't expect it to be permanent, however. Right now I just want to get it knocked down enough so that I can cut some trees in the fall.

I know you still have to be careful around it when it's dead, but I'm just working to keep it from taking over, at this point. I expect it to be an annual ritual.

Next year I'll go after it with 2-4-D. But this year I'm about 85% through it and still have a lot of glyphosate to use up.

I appreciate the info.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
There's one place out back about 20' X 8' that was just a carpet of poison ivy. It's right beside a tree that I need to take down. That patch is what made me decide to start fighting it every place I see it. It was over grown with light brush when I bought the place. I started mowing it and had it cleared out pretty good. But then it covered over with poison ivy.

I just went scorched earth on it. I think it's going to be a dirt patch for a year or so.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bristoe
There's one place out back about 20' X 8' that was just a carpet of poison ivy. It's right beside a tree that I need to take down.

Poison ivy berries are a common food source for birds, which often leads to the seeds being deposited under trees, powerlines, etc. and resulting in poison ivy hot spots.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Fubarski
Nobody's mentioned puttin a little dish soap in the glyph mix yet, so I'll throw it in here.

1/4 cup in your 2 gallon sprayer will enhance the effectiveness of the spray, makin it go farther.

Add the water first, then concentrate then soap, so it don't foam up while mixin it.

Tractor Supply glypho has surfactants in it.
Soap enhances herbicide, until it hurts.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (2500HD, 222ND, 1OntarioJim, 257Bob, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,228 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,934
Posts18,479,981
Members73,954
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.