Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I have seen this ammo in several calibers. How does this ammo perform on deer? In just about any popular caliber it seems to be available. I don’t know that I have ever used any for target shooting much less any of their ammo for hunting.

GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've used it successfully in my 7mm Mauser on hogs, deer, and pronghorn. Worked fine and would not hesitate to use it again, particularly because it's consistently cheaper than Remington, Federal, Winchester, et al.

Last edited by Tuco; 07/11/19.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I've shot deer with it in several calibers. It is pretty much the same effectiveness as Winchester Power Points, Federal Blue Box, Remington Core-Lokt, or any other common cup and core bullet. The brass is not bad for reloading either.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
I've shot deer with it in several calibers. It is pretty much the same effectiveness as Winchester Power Points, Federal Blue Box, Remington Core-Lokt, or any other common cup and core bullet. The brass is not bad for reloading either.

This answers what I was going to ask next. Thanks.

Last edited by Chrisk1977; 07/11/19.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tuco
I've used it successfully in my 7mm Mauser on hogs, deer, and pronghorn. Worked fine and would not hesitate to use it again, particularly because it's consistently cheaper than Remington, Federal, Winchester, et al.

The S&B 139 gr. stuff shot better in a Ruger 77 in 7mm Mauser that I had than anything I loaded for it. That's one of the reasons I replaced the rifle with a CZ550 in the same cartridge.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Friends killed several deer with the -06 version, had no complaints. Not sure what weight, probably 150.

I second the brass is OK for reloading. Not Lapua-grade of course.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I got soured by my first box from Cabelas in 6.5x55 it just said Serbian on the box so not sure if it was S&B but for the same purpose and for reloading cases I have had good results with Privy Partisan. The brass and bullets are good, the loads can be on the slow and dirty side though. Brass is almost as tough as Lapua and after prep and sorting at least as good as Remington or Winchester.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Privy Partisan is Serbian, S&B is Czechoslovakian via France. I found PPU to have some of the heaviest brass though it has lasted well for me. The majority of S&B I've shot has been in uncommon chamberings, it has often been the only source other than Norma for many choices.

S&B has been fairly dirty as well as off smelling. I think it is to do with the way powder is made over there as those were observations I made when using Czech made Rex powders many years ago. I don't recall noticing this with PPU but my nose isn't what it once was.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I've shot a lot of S&B handgun ammo and in .30 carbine, 30-06, 7x57. The brass was great too. I never noticed a bad smell. That's an issue with me, you see. When we were all 15yrs old, some friends and I walked over to where a couple girls were "camping out". It was summertime in Texas and their "tent" was made of quilts. Now, these "girls" were pretty big girls...and obviously had not worn deodorant "at all that day" and here it is around midnight! One whiff inside that tent and "I was affected for life!" So some kinds of "off smelling" will make me gag even til this day, 51 yrs later! ha Meaning there is no way I could have shot 500rds on Defensive Handgun Course in .45 auto IF it had that "funk" going on! smile

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Jim_Knight
I've shot a lot of S&B handgun ammo and in .30 carbine, 30-06, 7x57. The brass was great too. I never noticed a bad smell. That's an issue with me, you see. When we were all 15yrs old, some friends and I walked over to where a couple girls were "camping out". It was summertime in Texas and their "tent" was made of quilts. Now, these "girls" were pretty big girls...and obviously had not worn deodorant "at all that day" and here it is around midnight! One whiff inside that tent and "I was affected for life!" So some kinds of "off smelling" will make me gag even til this day, 51 yrs later! ha Meaning there is no way I could have shot 500rds on Defensive Handgun Course in .45 auto IF it had that "funk" going on! smile

Well thanks for bringing up "off" smelling women!

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I was just making the comparison of "off putting" bad smells, ha. Granted, that is a pretty graphic example, but it must have given me "PTSD ", sought out the slender petite girls after that, even found one to marry me! ha

Last edited by Jim_Knight; 07/13/19.
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have good luck S&B, pistol and rifle.

Have reloaded some .45ACP, several times.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Been a long time but I bought a bunche of S&B 7x57 ammo loaded with a 175 gr. SPCE bullet. Odd looking but shot OK and killed all shot with it. What I didn't like was it had the European rim diameter that did not fit my shellholder well.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A 150SPCE from a 30/06 factory load killed a pretty big pig for me. Shot him through the chest at about 8-10 yards and the bullet didn’t exit but the pig died post haste. That’s the only critter I’ve killed with that load and I don’t have a whole bunch of it left. [Linked Image]

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Nice pig and I really like the rifle.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Thanks. The rifle is the second nicest Remington 30S I’ve ever seen, it’s all original and probably %90 condition. The guy I bought it from had a 257 Roberts just like it but in about %98 shape, I should have bought it too.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Kid, that model 30 is a nice old rifle.. My grandfathers hunting partner had one in a .35 Rem.. Cool guns!!

Molon Labe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

352 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 160user, 27 invisible), 1,828 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,753
Posts18,495,386
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.