Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 26 of 49 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 48 49
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Day Three (today)

Almost rode right by the booming megalopolis of Clancy but this sign made me stop in, Black Rifle Coffee, ain't that the official coffee of the 'Fire? cool Sign was so small tho I dunno how many regular motorists would notice....

[Linked Image]

Two miles above Clancy, maybe the coolest rest area in the world, with a sign celebrating the bad language used by teamsters back in the muleskinner days cool Sadly a sign at the previous rest area at the end of Day One said this rest area was gonna be torn down and made just a picnic area, hopefully the sign can stay...

[Linked Image]

OK, I was beat from yesterday so I didn't roll out of Helena until 1pm, it was hot, and tho I rolled out of Helena without it, I stopped first chance I got to fill the 3L CamelBack bladder to carry in addition to the six 24oz water bottles I was carrying. I recalled running out the day before and how worrying that was, in addition to being a PITA. That bladder has to sit high in the bag to avoid getting crushed, and it always feels like about the last straw. With all that water my loaded bike has gotta weigh on the far side of 90lbs.

Here's how I spent my afternoon, pedalling up from that far low background down around Helena, to the top of the pass, never woulda thought it possible.

[Linked Image]

Rolling down the far side towards Boulder MT...

[Linked Image]

Just about a 30 mile day, maybe. I am learning that in the mountains 30 or 40 miles a day is what I'm likely to get, on the flats I'd expect 60 or 70.

I continue to be enormously impressed by the locals here in Montana cool

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by pal
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
...Further along, the water is the Missouri, in the background was the first notable climb.

[Linked Image]

This is a great shot.

Tks, the Upper Missouri is just beautiful.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
It had to be unbelievable for Lewis and Clark seeing that country for the first time!

...and on the way back, John Coulter asks to be cut loose, turns around, goes back UP the Missouri and discovers Coulter's Hell, AKA the Yellowstone Caldera. One tough futhermucker for sure.

I just want to get to Old Faithful, take a photo, and be on my way. That's 178 miles from here, most of it uphill, with at least two climbs on a par with today.

Six days if I'm lucky, more likely seven, possibly eight or more.

From there 112 miles to Cody, including a hard 30 mile climb up that famous valley with all the buffalo, moose and wolves and grizzlies.

On the positive side, ever'body knows its mountain lions that take out weary cyclists and not buffalo, moose, wolves or grizzlies smile

Don't think I'm gonna make it to Cody in time to jet down the plains back to San Antonio, Lubbock remains a possibility, and I could fly back from there.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Are you taking 69 down toward Yellowstone?

There's a ghost town in Comet if you're not dead by then.

You'll love Basin. Don't mention Trump.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by deflave
Are you taking 69 down toward Yellowstone?

Ya, Google says its all downhill to L&C Caverns SP. I hope so.

Stopped at Boulder maybe 7:00pm, checked into the motel about 7:30 started to work on photos. Drank a Pepsi to stay awake, dunno what happened but it kept me awake until like 3am. Somewhat sleep-deprived today.

Anyways, the OZ Motel here in downtown Boulder, I give it two thumbs up.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
If you can find you one, Osprey bladders are way better than CB. They have a plastic back on them and don't slump or bind. I do prefer the CB bite-valve however.

It looks like a rather fun trip, all-in-all.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The museums in Cody are awesome!!!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I coulda taken 287 from Helena to Three Forks along the Missouri and avoided that climb but the uber bike nerd website says places along that road suck for bicycles, heavy traffic no shoulder. Gonna be another late start 'cause I'm tired but 40 miles to Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park oughtta be doable. After that you rejoin 287 for a steep climb to Norris.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Birdie, a song for you. Put the Jimmie Rogers CD in this morning, this was first on the disc. Thought about you "Away out on the Mountain":

Wish I was traveling along.....................................in the support vehicle...........................but not for the rapid decelerations!

Clark, or whichever one you are today.........................do you like boats? Wake/Funeral/Memorial Svc will be out in the Pacific if I can arrange for burial at sea. Bring your own booze.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Awesome pics!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great pictures and a hell of a trip.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Great pictures and a hell of a trip.

I’ll repeat what I said early on in this thread.

My God we live in a beautiful country.

Specific to Montana, I’m just glad to be here during their annual three weeks of summer grin

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for sharing your photos and account of your adventures!

When I take time to check the Fire, I'm finding your thread to read first!

Always drink upstream from the herd...cowdoc...
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by cowdoc
Thanks for sharing your photos and account of your adventures!

When I take time to check the Fire, I'm finding your thread to read first!

+1

Hey Birdie, this ^^^^^ seems like quite the compliment!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
5:30pm Cardwell MT at the gas station on the Interstate, I’m just crossing it this time not following. 5 1/2 hours for 33 miles, mostly downhill, but was bucking a strong headwind all the way. Plus I stopped and slept for an hour in the grass by the roadside.

The road followed the Boulder River Valley, interesting ride, and I swear in Montana ya want to stop and take a photo every 100 yards.

7 miles (1 hour) to Lewis and Clark Caverns State Park, 128 miles to Yellowstone, there’s a storm where I wanna go right now, gonna have to sit here and wait it out, four hours of daylight remaining.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
what's the issue with riding in the rain? getting wet? cars can't see you? don't have rain gear? all of the above? do you have a plan for an all day storm, or is that not an issue?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Day Two:

This was in my sheet in the morning, a psuedoscorpion, maybe an inch long......

[Linked Image]

First thing I would do is take a bath more than once a month. There isn't anything like that north of the southern border of Wyoming. If that was in your bed, it fell off of you...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sycamore
what's the issue with riding in the rain? getting wet? cars can't see you? don't have rain gear? all of the above? do you have a plan for an all day storm, or is that not an issue?

Lightning strikes would be my first guess.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Day Two:

This was in my sheet in the morning, a psuedoscorpion, maybe an inch long......

[Linked Image]

First thing I would do is take a bath more than once a month. There isn't anything like that north of the southern border of Wyoming. If that was in your bed, it fell off of you...

Cool 😎

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Lightning strikes would be my first guess.

That and high winds and hail, plus the knowledge that it’ll be passing shortly.

I can and have ridden in other forms of rain like the UK tour three years back. Less pleasant, more dangerous.

Page 26 of 49 1 2 24 25 26 27 28 48 49

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (10gaugemag, 308ld, 2500HD, 1_deuce, 12 invisible), 1,617 guests, and 941 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,630
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.