Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by MILES58
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by wabigoon
After killing our Rowdy with kindness, and all the table scraps he would eat, we asked our vet. They recommend Purina Pro Plan.

Seems counterintuitive, but a vet is usually the last person you'd want to take advice from when it comes to a proper diet for your dog. They receive their dog nutrition training from representatives of the commercial dog food industry.

Yeah, for sure wouldn't expect a DVM to have any training about what may be good or bad for things like heart, kidneys, liver, muscle, bone, eyes or brain or anything else. That just doesn't make sense at all!. Stick to anti-semitic commentary, you're better at that.

Far better to get dog feeding advice from unqualified people in the internet.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Don't take my advice. But at least do the research on the subject before concluding that the crap produced by the commercial dog food industry is as good as what dogs evolved to eat over 40 million years.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I'm feeding Victor Hi-Pro plus to my German wirehair. It runs about $1/lb.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Don't take my advice. But at least do the research on the subject before concluding that the crap produced by the commercial dog food industry is as good as what dogs evolved to eat over 40 million years.

Concur. Getting it right takes some education and it takes significantly more prep time than cupping out kibble from a bag. Our family goes through the time and expense of feeding a form of the Billinghurst BARF diet. So far, we have been gratified by the results.

Decent primer: https://pets.webmd.com/dogs/guide/raw-dog-food-dietary-concerns-benefits-and-risks#1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I've fed my German Short Hairs Purina Pro Plan Lamb and Rice for years. I feed my younger dogs Purina Sport during hunting or trailing season, more protein. This seems to be the food of choice with hunters, trailers and NAVHDA people' I do not believe Purina has ever had a recall of their food, Mid priced food that keeps my kennel in top shape. You won't be sorry!

Last edited by Switch; 07/13/19.
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by ribka
My vet , who raises hunting dogs, recommended those brands plus some raw good quality meat. I keep scraps from deer elk and antelope and freeze for dog food.

I can a bunch of meat scraps from animals harvested and throw in a bunch of veggies in the jars too. I take these on bird hunting trips.

All my bird hunting dogs have lived past 13 years with no health problems. I was hiking with my griff in the mountains yesterday and she was wearing a gps collar. I went about 10 miles and she did around 28 miles according to gps. We kicked up a lot of blue grouse which is promising.

When bird and duck hunting season ramps up shell average around 50 to 60 miles a week busting brush for quail, grouse running up steep rocky hills after chukar and swimming for ducks And geese. Bird dogs are like athletes and need really good quality food.

Frommes is good . I live rural with and difficult for me to get.

Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Taste of the wild
And
Supplement with some raw meats

The Costco grain free Brand been very good too

Throw in some good quality raw meats a few times a week

Had all three of my dogs on that stuff. Vet told me to get them off immediately. Food should contain Taurine..Fromm Gold small and large breed is what I am putting them on.

I have been using TOTW for a very long time on my small dogs. I have been using Fromm on my Bull Mastiff for about 2 years and then to TOTW for a year until last week and his vet visit where he shook his head and said get him off it . The Mastiff can eat anything and does well.

I have to put one of my Parsons Russell on an ABCD diet per the vet for his food allergies( Anything except Beef,Chicken and Dairy), a different vet BTW. That mix is going to be a tough one to find but they are out there. My wife had this dog on home made food for a year and not one bit of difference , Venison,Carrots,Peas and rice. We have gone every which way to keep him from scratching including Orijen which made his scratching worse .

It's a roll of a dice. FWIW I think there are a ton of good foods out there, just have to get the right mix for a particular dog.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Is that like doing research on immunizations by reading mommy blogs?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

Is that like doing research on immunizations by reading mommy blogs?

Billinghurst is a good place to start.

Last edited by The_Real_Hawkeye; 07/13/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Taste of the wild
And

Had all three of my dogs on that stuff. Vet told me to get them off immediately. Food should contain Taurine..Fromm Gold small and large breed is what I am putting them on.

Not sure if you're referring to TOTW or Costco, but TOTW does contain taurine now. When this issue started popping up about a year ago, there was some speculation that the lack of taurine in the grain-free kibbles may be the cause. Is that still the case? If so, I wonder if "the list" was compiled from cases before taurine was added because many of those listed now contain taurine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started my current GWP pup on Wellness Core large breed puppy food. For my previous GWP, she was fed the Kirkland and the PureBalance from wallyworld.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Taste of the wild
And

Not sure if you're referring to TOTW or Costco, but TOTW does contain taurine now. When this issue started popping up about a year ago, there was some speculation that the lack of taurine in the grain-free kibbles may be the cause. Is that still the case? If so, I wonder if "the list" was compiled from cases before taurine was added because many of those listed now contain taurine.

Like I said I have 2 vets one for the small dogs and one that handles the large breeds(long story). Both were adamant about removing them from TOTW.

TOTW ...Vet told me that TOTW was almost at the top of lists with incidents in the latest FDA release. Costco stuff is made by Diamond foods who also makes TOTW and a bunch of other Brands as well.

4Health- Grain INCLUSIVE ONLY-
Taste OF the Wild
Diamond
Chicken Soup(Diamond brand)
Solid Gold dry foods
Canidae

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've been feeding 2 dogs 2 different foods on that list for about a decade. I don't plan to change anything. It seems like a pretty small study to get concerned about. If you pay attention, there's dog food recalls pretty often.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I just ordered eagle pack for large breed dogs.

https://www.eaglepack.com/product-orignal-dog.aspx?product=85

Chicken Meal, Pork Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Rice, Dehulled Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid], Minerals [Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate], Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Inulin, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Trichoderma reesei Fermentation Product, Dried Rhizopus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract.

This is a naturally preserved product.

Last edited by Sakoluvr; 07/13/19.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by TxHunter80
I've been feeding 2 dogs 2 different foods on that list for about a decade. I don't plan to change anything. It seems like a pretty small study to get concerned about. If you pay attention, there's dog food recalls pretty often.

Small study? You need to pay more attention, I am going by what 2 very very Good Vets told me. DIamond has had the largest share of recalls.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I just ordered eagle pack for large breed dogs.

https://www.eaglepack.com/product-orignal-dog.aspx?product=85

Chicken Meal, Pork Meal, Ground Brown Rice, Oatmeal, Rice, Dehulled Barley, Chicken Fat (preserved with Mixed Tocopherols), Tomato Pomace, Flaxseed, Brewers Dried Yeast, Potassium Chloride, Vitamins [Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Thiamine Mononitrate, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Folic Acid], Minerals [Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Iron Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Proteinate, Manganese Proteinate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Iodate], Taurine, Calcium Carbonate, Mixed Tocopherols added to preserve freshness, Inulin, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Dried Enterococcus faecium Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus licheniformis Fermentation Product, Dried Bacillus subtilis Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Trichoderma reesei Fermentation Product, Dried Rhizopus oryzae Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Lactobacillus casei Fermentation Product, Rosemary Extract, Green Tea Extract, Spearmint Extract.

This is a naturally preserved product.

Fromm Large Breed Dry...I think the list is way shorter then your list .

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Chicken Broth, Oat Groats, Pearled Barley, Brown Rice, White Rice, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Egg Product, Whole Oats, Chicken Liver, Whole Barley, Menhaden Fish Meal, Chicken Fat, Potatoes, Cheese, Flaxseed, Salmon Oil, Duck, Lamb, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Brewers Dried Yeast, Celery, Alfalfa Meal, Monosodium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Chicory Root Extract, Taurine, Vitamins, Minerals, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), DL-Methionine, Sodium Selenite, L-Tryptophan, Probiotics.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Does that mean your vets don't think there's a link with taurine, that Diamond isn't putting in enough taurine, or they don't know TOTW lists taurine in the ingredients?

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

I believe you’ve looked into it.

These threads typically are filled with individuals’ favorite brand without knowledge of feeding, physiology, and nutrition.

Feed a name-brand, high-quality, food. As long as there are no allergies or side effects, the dog will do fine.

YMMV, as always.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Does that mean your vets don't think there's a link with taurine, that Diamond isn't putting in enough taurine, or they don't know TOTW lists taurine in the ingredients?

No the study said that dogs fed TOTW among other brands were having cardio myopathy .He also mentioned Legumes might be a cause. The large dogs vet said take him off it NOW and shook his head. The further down the list an ingredient is the least amount of it in that food. He also mentioned Legumes might be a cause.

The small dogs Vet said Taurine or lack of it is a cause. I

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Chicken, Chicken Meal, Chicken Broth, Oat Groats, Pearled Barley, Brown Rice, White Rice, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Egg Product, Whole Oats, Chicken Liver, Whole Barley, Menhaden Fish Meal, Chicken Fat, Potatoes, Cheese, Flaxseed, Salmon Oil, Duck, Lamb, Carrots, Sweet Potatoes, Brewers Dried Yeast, Celery, Alfalfa Meal, Monosodium Phosphate, Salt, Calcium Sulfate, Potassium Chloride, Chicory Root Extract, Taurine, Vitamins, Minerals, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Sorbic Acid (Preservative), DL-Methionine, Sodium Selenite, L-Tryptophan, Probiotics.

And notice that Chicken is the first ingredient, and it's not chicken meal (look up how that's made), but actual chicken (yeah, they add chicken meal, too, but it's crucially not the first ingredient), which is good. Fromm is likely the best kibble available.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

And notice that Chicken is the first ingredient, and it's not chicken meal (look up how that's made), but actual chicken (yeah, they add chicken meal, too, but it's crucially not the first ingredient), which is good. Fromm is likely the best kibble available.

I don't know that it is the best available but the 3 dogs like it. I like rotating their stuff every few months so they don't develop an allergy to their food. They get a little bit of everything a few times a week. I have to tell you all 3 dogs had planned annual exams the last 2 weeks. I knew nothing of this FDA thingie, they came out and told me .

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

216 members (264mag, 204guy, 17CalFan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 24 invisible), 2,209 guests, and 1,169 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,879
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.