Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
MikeL2 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Marlin 39A Mountie is for sale locally. Straight stock, rounded lever, Lyman peep sight. Pictures look very good, haven’t fondled it in person yet. Have never seen much negative about the 39s, except maybe weight. Any comments on fair price range or in general?

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
In this area I see them from $550 -$750. Asking prices much higher than 5 or so years ago. I’m not familiar with all the variations. Fun rifles to shoot.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it is in good condition and all original anything under 500.00 is a steal.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
bcp Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can still buy a new 39A---from Marlin's custom shop, for $3000+.

https://www.marlinfirearms.com/custom-shop/model-39a/model-39a-fancy

Bruce

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't remember the last time I saw a Mountie close to $500. I've seen a couple of regular 39s for ~$600 in the last few years, and the Mounties sell for more. Here is a link to serial number identification: https://www.gunvaluesboard.com/marlin-serial-numbers-dates-of-manufacture-1664.html

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Mounties are one of the more sought after versions, and they are not getting any cheaper. I would jump on it if it is in good shape.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Check what they are selling for on Gun Broker if it is in that price range and you don't like it ( highly unlikely) you can always sell and get your money back.

Like Mackay said they are not getting cheaper.

M
MikeL2 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Going to look at it this afternoon.

Appears that I now own a 1965 production Marlin Golden 39A Mountie. Don't think I stole it, but seller came down enough to make me feel like it was a reasonable deal.

Maybe some pictures later. And hopefully a trip to the range soon.

Last edited by MikeL2; 07/14/19.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
MikeL2: Good for you!
I hope your Rifle pleases you at the range.
Let us know how it shoots.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
Mounties are one of the more sought after versions, and they are not getting any cheaper. I would jump on it if it is in good shape.

I have to agree with Mackay. I look at a LOT of guns coming through pawn shops and LGSs here, as well as some gun shows, and don't believe I've seen a Mountie in the last 6-8 years that wasn't requiring a Prince's ransom to rescue it, in nice or not so nice shape.

For comparison, I picked up this pristine 1977 39A a few years back for $600. It's got a Leupold VX2 3-9x33 EFR CDS Windplex scope on it.

I've got almost twice that into the Tony Kidd sitting in the rack.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by local_dirt; 07/15/19.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Had one once. Neat little gun, but fit and finish were only so-so. If I ever get another one, it'll be an "A" model.

Actually, for a few hundred more, I'd prefer one of the Low Wall rimfires.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You did real good by buying it!

I much prefer my 20" M and D models, and am especially fond of my 16" TDS.

Still yet to see the appeal of a 24" barreled 22LR.

M
MikeL2 Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
It looks really good. Bluing just about like new. Just a few very small marks in wood, not really noticeable. Has the original leaf sight and a Skinner peep sight. Will eventually remove the leaf and put a dovetail blank in. All for less than $700. No range trip yet, but a couple of pictures:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Here is my '69 vintage M-39 with 24" barrel, Fajen butt stock, checkered by me when I was around 24, will be 74 this Sat. So, 50 years ago.

It's had a number of configurations, one as a CAS companion to my .45-70 Cowboy, both with tang sights.

Now, it wears a VX-2 3-9x40 with CDS, set up for the Fed 38 gr. Game Shok, 50 yd zero.

Note the trigger stop that I added, a set screw as shown. It has almost no overtravel and a 2 1/2 # very clean, match quality trigger.

And, in that photo, note the "69", as the first part of the serial number.

I like the thinner forearm vs. the thicker one. The checkering is not the best, but OK. Rosewood grip cap.

As you can tell, this one is a keeper.

DF

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/15/19.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MikeL2
It looks really good. Bluing just about like new. Just a few very small marks in wood, not really noticeable. Has the original leaf sight and a Skinner peep sight. Will eventually remove the leaf and put a dovetail blank in. All for less than $700. No range trip yet, but a couple of pictures:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I'd say you did real good, Mike!

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dirtfarmer, tell me about the screw in frt of the trigger in your pics. I bought a really nice Mountie yesterday for $429 and tax. Looks like it had shot a couple of boxes of shells and then put away in a closet for the last 53 years. I called my brother who has a better handle on Marlins than I do ,gave him the serial number and he said it was made in 1966 and it was a steal at that price. The action stiff and a little oil helped a lot but it just don't look like it has seen much action MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I drilled and tapped for the set screw. Had not seen it done like that, just figured it out.

I turned the screw until the trigger wouldn't clear the hammer notch. Then backed off until it barely cleared. I had already honed the sear and trigger with Arkansas hard stone.

It's a very clean 2 1/2 # pull with no appreciable over travel. It's almost as good as my Anschutz and Cooper rifles. Well, not quite that good, but exceptional for a Marlin 39. Good enough that it'll surprise ya...

Stiff action on your gun means it hasn't been used that much. Those guns are really tough, will last for generations. You done good. Check the take down screw. If it's over tight, that could make the action feel stiff. It doesn't need to be "farmer tight".

Another story about this gun. Some years back, I bought a Volquartsen 10-22, set up for .22 Shorts. It had the heavy SS barrel with the right twist, aluminum bolt, altered mag for shorts. That was to be a real squirrel rifle. Well, it turned out this rifle shot shorts better than that one, tighter groups. That really pizzed me off. I sold the .22 Short SS heavy barrel, the special bolt and mag. Got a Green Mtn .22LR barrel, std.steel bolt and std. mag. Turned that sucker into a .22 LR. My son has it now.

Bottom line, this rifle shoots shorts better than a high end, dedicated rifle set up to shoot shorts.

Pretty amazing. I wasn't expecting that.

DF.

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 07/16/19.
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
DF I took it into 2 halves last nite ,cleaned on it a bit and used some grease where it was needed. It isn't wore much so your comment is spot on, just got all the moving parts lubed as needed. Collectors have driven the prices up to 650-800 dollars on these around here. I bought it from a big box store chain that has a attitude about used firearms( they look at them like they have a disease) they allow 1/3 of what it is worth on full retail of what's being traded for, then try to sell it for 2/3's of it's worth. I don't trade with them , just keep my eye out for guns that I want and they don't seem to have a clue on (their value). Works for me. Maybe the other poster's don't like it when someone else gets a deal, the OP did fine and If I wanted one I'd have paid that also. What I paid for mine will let me move it on for a gain someday when I don't want it anymore. I won't apologize for that. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Magnum Bob.

You made a good deal. I'm happy you scored. If someone feels otherwise, shame on them.

Some of those big store gun department honchos often have a superiority attitude. IMO, they're not as smart or knowledgeable as they think they are.

I've make some trades, such that they think they gave me a good screwing. OK with me. The guns I traded were ones I would NOT put on the classifieds for you guys to consider. They were pieces I had issues with, couldn't get them performing to suit me, so let them sort it out. I don't dump such on friends or those I respect. But in those cases, not an issue. I sleep well at night...

DF

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (450yukon, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 39 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,185 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,698
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.