Page 61 of 79 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 78 79
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by DBT
Would a human parent have their child killed for a minor act of disobedience?

What does this say about God?

First, in the day violating the sabbath was no minor offense, basically giving God the finger. Nobody got away with doing that to an earthly, less worthy king. And it says He doesn't conform to what YOU want HIM to be, you need to conform to what HE wants YOU to be. A valuable lesson.

Through the years thousands upon thousands have been executed for lesser heresies. And more than a 1000 years after Christ changed the laws.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
What is very clearly happening is that we are seeing a group of skeptics with a different set of moral values from the Bible trying to interpret the Bible. They are claiming to be objective and logical but they cannot refrain from interpretation and analysis based on their moral values which are distinctly different from Biblical morality. Their morality will not allow them to be logically consistent with the text and context or to even abide by their own rules of discussion. Skepticism has a way of prejudicing the mind against objective reasoning or admitting any evidence does not serve their purposes.

We see a similar thing happening in our country today with this breed of skepticism. Judges with a different moral value system from our founding fathers are trying to interpret our constitution and founding documents in ways that they were never intended. They claim to be objective, but in reality they are prejudiced against the morality of our founders and will stop at nothing till they have re-interpreted and applied case law in such a way as to destroy the moral foundation of our laws and make our documents say something completely different than what they do.

I think many confuse being mean with being just. Justice may not seem kind to some transgressors in the short run.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"Ok, one issue at a time....in the Bible, are there any examples of someone “finding God”..... or “experiencing Jesus” ..... without the Bible?"

Eh? I enjoy reading about this stuff but I have a question that may have already been discussed. What is in that Heaven that all you true believers are all dying to get into?

My best friend was trying to "save" me from Hell one day at the deer lease and I interrupted him when I saw a dead coon in road and asked "Did that coon go to Heaven when he died"? He said "Of course not! Animals don't go to Heaven!" My best friend is a good guy but he did go to a Christian school (brainwashing center) from grades 1-6. The brainwashing kicked in he started worrying about his mortality about age 70.

So what should all the "saved" people expect when they arrive expect when the arrive in Heaven TF49? I'm not talking about the pearly gates and all that Bible stuff. I mean the good stuff like having sex with your old girlfriends and things like that. Will they revert back to being young/hot and to me being young/handsome again?

Last edited by victoro; 07/13/19.
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Originally Posted by DBT

First, in the day violating the sabbath was no minor offense, basically giving God the finger. Nobody got away with doing that to an earthly, less worthy king. And it says He doesn't conform to what YOU want HIM to be, you need to conform to what HE wants YOU to be. A valuable lesson.

I was taught from the cradle that violating the Sabbath was a Capitol Offence resulting in eternal death.

I was trained that when civil law requires one to break the Sabbath, one had better take the punishment handed down by the court, rather than face God's wrath.

As one of the commandments, the Sabbath is sacrosanct and the cornerstone of all that follows.

Oh, and the Sabbath is the seventh day, not the first.

But yes, punishing one man for breaking the Sabbath might be compared to a parent punishing one child for feeding poison to all of his siblings.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by TF49
No issue with God. Just with those who claim the only place to find him is in the Christian Bible. And claim there are no problems with what was written in the Bible.

Ok, one issue at a time....in the Bible, are there any examples of someone “finding God”..... or “experiencing Jesus” ..... without the Bible?

What about all those who don't use the Christian Bible?

For every Christian in the world there are two who are not.

Bowsinger,

You may want reconsider my question, do your own research here. The answer may surprise you.

TF

Last edited by TF49; 07/13/19. Reason: Spel

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B2

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
The sabbath and all the Mosaic laws of the OT were shadows pointing to the coming of Jesus (New Testament). The 4th commandment (the sabbath one) was a labor law back in those days. Sin was under the authority of death.

Jesus replaced the law as our authority. The coming of Christ cancelled all 613 laws (not just the Big Ten) when they were all nailed to the cross. We are no longer judged and put to death in regard to a sabbath day, weekly, monthly, or yearly celebration, or for eating such and such, etc.

Jesus fulfilled the laws of sin and death, and now we have rest and eternal life in Him. All the OT signs (keeping the sabbath, circumcision,,,,,) have been replaced with Jesus. The sabbath is about resting in Jesus because of his finished work.

Huh.....Thunderstick says you are wrong the the Big 10 were not cancelled.....

Another contradiction between Christians.....

So, youre saying if mere humans interpret some things differently in the book composed by the all knowing Creator, there is no Creator?

It couldnt be that nuances in the Bible story are open to interpretation but the basic theme is correct in that all dont have to agree perfectly to be saved by being believers as He said?

You really do go overboard in stretching things to cover the board in your eye which He told us about.

I use Moble 1 and change the oil every 6,000 miles. Does that mean it wont get me to the lake and back?

You have yet to present any good evidence for you alleged God. Until such time there's no reason for me to accept you excuse of a nuisance god.

I need none of this proof you seem psychologically addicted to. Its strange that you were a Bible student at one time and learned so many facets only to have evidently, or lyingly, missed a primary one and that being we are to accept by faith.

I expect you are aware of that, or should be after having been told so often, and only are disingenuous in your attempt to try and shift the narrative to one of Lucifers tenants.

You may be sure if I had proof i would not show it to you.

Hahaha. You tell God you want proof. Ask and you shall recieve. One day you will get that proof. There will be a great gnashing....

I Dindo Nuffin
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by victoro
"Ok, one issue at a time....in the Bible, are there any examples of someone “finding God”..... or “experiencing Jesus” ..... without the Bible?"

Eh? I enjoy reading about this stuff but I have a question that may have already been discussed. What is in that Heaven that all you true believers are all dying to get into?

My best friend was trying to "save" me from Hell one day at the deer lease and I interrupted him when I saw a dead coon in road and asked "Did that coon go to Heaven when he died"? He said "Of course not! Animals don't go to Heaven!" My best friend is a good guy but he did go to a Christian school (brainwashing center) from grades 1-6. The brainwashing kicked in he started worrying about his mortality about age 70.

So what should all the "saved" people expect when they arrive expect when the arrive in Heaven TF49? I'm not talking about the pearly gates and all that Bible stuff. I mean the good stuff like having sex with your old girlfriends and things like that. Will they revert back to being young/hot and to me being young/handsome again?

Arrive in Heaven! Be greeted by the Creator of the universe! No more sickness! Perfect health! No sin! Play 20 questions with a God!

Unfettered communion with Jesus!

Then, as we are being greeted by an infinite God, there will far more....more than I can imagine.

Gonna be good....exciting!

Oh, and if I need a break, stroll on down the streets of gold and over to the rib eye tree.....,

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by WhiteTail48
The sabbath and all the Mosaic laws of the OT were shadows pointing to the coming of Jesus (New Testament). The 4th commandment (the sabbath one) was a labor law back in those days. Sin was under the authority of death.

Jesus replaced the law as our authority. The coming of Christ cancelled all 613 laws (not just the Big Ten) when they were all nailed to the cross. We are no longer judged and put to death in regard to a sabbath day, weekly, monthly, or yearly celebration, or for eating such and such, etc.

Jesus fulfilled the laws of sin and death, and now we have rest and eternal life in Him. All the OT signs (keeping the sabbath, circumcision,,,,,) have been replaced with Jesus. The sabbath is about resting in Jesus because of his finished work.

Huh.....Thunderstick says you are wrong the the Big 10 were not cancelled.....

Another contradiction between Christians.....

So, youre saying if mere humans interpret some things differently in the book composed by the all knowing Creator, there is no Creator?

It couldnt be that nuances in the Bible story are open to interpretation but the basic theme is correct in that all dont have to agree perfectly to be saved by being believers as He said?

You really do go overboard in stretching things to cover the board in your eye which He told us about.

I use Moble 1 and change the oil every 6,000 miles. Does that mean it wont get me to the lake and back?

You have yet to present any good evidence for you alleged God. Until such time there's no reason for me to accept you excuse of a nuisance god.

I need none of this proof you seem psychologically addicted to. Its strange that you were a Bible student at one time and learned so many facets only to have evidently, or lyingly, missed a primary one and that being we are to accept by faith.

I expect you are aware of that, or should be after having been told so often, and only are disingenuous in your attempt to try and shift the narrative to one of Lucifers tenants.

You may be sure if I had proof i would not show it to you.

Hahaha. You tell God you want proof. Ask and you shall recieve. One day you will get that proof. There will be a great gnashing....

Here's what's so funny.

I was told they had hundreds of proofs the Bible was true. When it turned out none could hold up to scrutiny, then they tried the Faith card.

Oh, we have no evidence, that doesn't matter, just believe it anyway!!

Outside of your religion, what else do you accept on Faith in in spite of evidence to the contrary?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A

Arrive in Heaven! Be greeted by the Creator of the universe! No more sickness! Perfect health! No sin! Play 20 questions with a God!

Then, as we are being greeted by an infinite God, there will far more....more than I can imagine.

Oh, and if I need a break, stroll on down the streets of gold and over to the rib eye tree.....,

Not much of a description.

Does he get to bang that old girl friend or not?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT

Where in the Bible does the Bible describe God as cruel and vindictive? Are you inserting your own morals into the way you assess God? This is cruel and vindictive by your own moral standard which you said you would not use. God is not done punishing sin in this world and you can call it whatever you please. His attributes will all be expressed in harmony which includes His holiness, justice, wrath against sin, along with the love and mercy. God is not only loving and merciful He also is expressive of wrath, justice, and holiness.

''Ye shall know them by their fruits. ... By their fruits you will know them'' - God ordering the massacre of women and children is a cruel and vicious act, ordering the killing of a man gathering sticks on a Sabbath is a cruel and unjust act.....behaviour that is not related to the given descriptions of a God of Love.

'Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.' " 1 Samuel 15:3

"Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us / He who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks." Psalm 137

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

God "visits the iniquity of the fathers upon the children and the children's children to the third and fourth generation." Exodus 34:7

Cruel and unusual punishments for those guilty of no crime but the so called sins of their ancestors.

The OT does not describe a God of Love;

"God is love." - 1 John 4:8

1 Corinthians 13; Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.''

Good Lord! It is even worse than I thought. Some of you guys just flunked Bible studies.

"Happy is he who repays you for what you have done to us / He who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks." Psalm 137

It is true that Christ taught a better way...but there lays one of the contradictions. Do not tell me that it isn’t there...

Yep.

Thunderstick approves of dashing babies against the rocks.

Like I said, his religion broke his morality.

IC B3

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Well done.

Can the CF Christian Apologists now do like-wise with the mass killing of all human life save an Ark builder and his family?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No issue with God. Just with those who claim the only place to find him is in the Christian Bible. And claim there are no problems with what was written in the Bible.

Ok, one issue at a time....in the Bible, are there any examples of someone “finding God”..... or “experiencing Jesus” ..... without the Bible?

Bowsinger,

You may want reconsider my question, do your own research here. The answer may surprise you.

TF

I do not understand your question and the way you framed it "in the Bible"?

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Not much of a description.

Does he get to bang that old girl friend or not?

Surely not a satisfying answer to one who is limited in view and can only imagine more of what he has already experienced.

Given a choice between the best that I can imagine or the best that God can imagine, I chose what God has in mind.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

Bowsinger,

TF

I do not understand your question and the way you framed it "in the Bible"?

You probably have a Bible in your possession. Can you find someone in it that fits into the question?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT

Where in the Bible does the Bible describe God as cruel and vindictive? Are you inserting your own morals into the way you assess God? This is cruel and vindictive by your own moral standard which you said you would not use. God is not done punishing sin in this world and you can call it whatever you please. His attributes will all be expressed in harmony which includes His holiness, justice, wrath against sin, along with the love and mercy. God is not only loving and merciful He also is expressive of wrath, justice, and holiness.

''Ye shall know them by their fruits. ... By their fruits you will know them'' - God ordering the massacre of women and children is a cruel and vicious act, ordering the killing of a man gathering sticks on a Sabbath is a cruel and unjust act.....behaviour that is not related to the given descriptions of a God of Love.

'Now go and strike Amalek and devote to destruction all that they have. Do not spare them, but kill both man and woman, child and infant, ox and sheep, camel and donkey.' " 1 Samuel 15:3

“Slaves, submit yourselves to your masters with all respect, not only to the good and gentle but also to the cruel.” (1 Peter 2:18)

God "visits the iniquity of the fathers upon the children and the children's children to the third and fourth generation." Exodus 34:7

Cruel and unusual punishments for those guilty of no crime but the so called sins of their ancestors.

1 Corinthians 13; Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.''

Good Lord! It is even worse than I thought. Some of you guys just flunked Bible studies.

It is true that Christ taught a better way...but there lays one of the contradictions. Do not tell me that it isn’t there...

Yep.

You don’t understand the psalm 137:9 issue either.

Half cocked and misdirected.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by DBT

Yep.

Its essentially your buds on the left who kicked Christ out of our schools who are doing that now with late term abortions.

I Dindo Nuffin
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
DBT,

Oy vey! We showed how this stuff was not irreconcilable some posts back. Apples and oranges. The OT gives the law, and what happens if you don't follow it. The man with the sticks refused to follow the law and got the prescribed (therefore just) punishment. People of the time would have understood that, defy the King at your peril. Still true.

The NT is about redemption and forgiveness, what happens when you truly repent. Mary Magdelene sinned grievously and was due for stoning. She truly repented and Jesus forgave her in his love and mercy. Also a major lesson of the prodigal son story (though there are more in that parable).

No, sorry, the explanations that were offered did absolutely nothing to reconcile these contradictions. They were excuses rather than rational arguments.

Excuses made at the expense of ignoring what the verses actually say about the nature of love, not vindictive, does not keep a record, always forgiving in opposition to cruelty, vindictness, ready to condemn generations for the transgression of their forebears, etc.....glibly brushing the undeniable incompatibility aside with inane remarks like 'you need to understand the bible' 'you need to list your own moral code' etc. Which does nothing to address these contradictions.

If God is love and does not keep a record of wrongs, God cannot curse generations for the 'sins' of their fathers, for example.

It seems that believers are incapable of recognizing a contradiction when it comes to a matter of faith.

Sorry, but the excuses offered so far fail to make the grade.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

Yep.

You don’t understand the psalm 137:9 issue either.

Half cocked and misdirected.

It is understood by sceptics, who have no emotional investment in the bible, but not by those who are. The filter of faith does not permit clarity of vision. Each believer being convinced of their own 'truth' while unwilling to consider other possibilities or that they may be mistaken.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter
Originally Posted by DBT

I was taught from the cradle that violating the Sabbath was a Capitol Offence resulting in eternal death.

I was trained that when civil law requires one to break the Sabbath, one had better take the punishment handed down by the court, rather than face God's wrath.

As one of the commandments, the Sabbath is sacrosanct and the cornerstone of all that follows.

Oh, and the Sabbath is the seventh day, not the first.

But yes, punishing one man for breaking the Sabbath might be compared to a parent punishing one child for feeding poison to all of his siblings.

You would kill one of your own children for trivially breaking the Sabbath? Because by gathering his toys on the Sabbath he is poisoning the others toward the Laws of God?

I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
I would not. But the Patriarchs of the OT would.

In that post, I simply offered to you, their rationalization.

I wrote of what I was taught. I did not speak therein of what I believe.

Page 61 of 79 1 2 59 60 61 62 63 78 79

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (907brass, Algotguns, Akhutr, beefan, 358wsm, 12 invisible), 1,424 guests, and 788 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,926
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.