Print Thread
Hop To
T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Went to a pawn and gun that I’ve known the owner of for a while the other day to get them to fax an ffl off to get my new Combat Masterpiece. Noticed while perusing the handgun case that they had a short barrel Woodsman Match Target. I’m not a Colt guy but I don’t have a good 22 auto pistol and this kinda caught my eye. I think it’s the later version with the figure 8 profile barrel 4.5” or so, third gen?

What’s one of these worth in your area? I assume they’re both accurate and reliable? Mags rare or finicky?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mags are getting pricey, but can be found. Or others modified to fit. If it had push-button mag release it is second series.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’ll look closer when I go pick up my S&W. They worth $750 in pretty good shape? Could probably get it for less but that’s what they’re asking.

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Yep.

Accuracy is like a rifle; reliability? Well it is a contraption...it may be flawless forever or it may be finicky.

Colt still makes mags by the gross.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Had a 3rd model 6 inch
Accurate and reliable with old school win T22 ammo.

Sold it like a fool in 2001 for 450.
Been seeing em every so often
G to Vg

650 750

Pawnshops have wiggle room
Specially if it is a corparate pawnshop like pawn america.
And it has been their for awhile.
Back of tag will have date it came out and might have time listings for price for it every 3 months over the next yr.

Private owned ones are different stories and sometimes are buttheads.

They didn't give more than 250 or 300 for it I bet.
Outright sale or lost on pawn.

Benjamin's in da face might talk.....

Last edited by renegade50; 07/14/19.
IC B2

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Guy that owns the joint is an acquaintance of mine, pretty good guy. I’ll give it another look and talk to him about it when I go back in this week. Might be a good pistol for knocking around the ranch shooting dillers and snakes.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Pretty rare gun....last one I saw sell on GunBroker was well over a grand. If you go over to GB and look, the 6" guns are in the $7-900 range...the 4" start at $1500....

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/817356623

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/819135465

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/820034352

Can't go wrong at $750....Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Pretty fancy piece for a ranch gun. But guns were made to be used.

Clinging to guns & religion since 1959

Keyboards make people braver than alcohol

Election Integrity is more important than Election Convenience

Washington Post: "Democracy Dies in Darkness"
More correct: "Killing Democracy Faster Than Darkness"
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Personally, I prefer the 1st series Sport for a ranch gun.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fits in a back pocket of the Wranglers better, and more slenderer and handy than the MT, just not as sexy.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by TheKid
I’ll look closer when I go pick up my S&W. They worth $750 in pretty good shape? Could probably get it for less but that’s what they’re asking.
I think that's a good price. I stupidly let go of mine because I preferred my Roooger MkII. Still do, but the Match Target was a great gun.

IC B3

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
Pretty fancy piece for a ranch gun. But guns were made to be used.

I try to keep all my handguns employed on the ranch, even the scarce and spendy ones. Haven’t killed a pig with my 44 Hand Ejector yet but it’s time will come. Have shot critters with all my other old S&Ws as well as my custom HiPower and 1911. Figure if I don’t wear them out someone else will have to.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Personally, I prefer the 1st series Sport for a ranch gun.....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fits in a back pocket of the Wranglers better, and more slenderer and handy than the MT, just not as sexy.....

I’m feeling you on that one. That’s what comes to mind when I think Colt Woodsman.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I've got a Woodsman Target (not Match Target) I bought new in 1977 or thereabouts. 6" barrel. I still have the box and papers. Minimal holster wear, with likely less than 500 rounds through it.

The plan was to make it the gun I carried when I was carrying a .22 handgun "just because." I decided a S&W 63 was better for that duty, although I also found I usually carried a .38 or .357 revolver instead.

For plinking I tend to shoot a Ruger Mk III Target. The Woodsman is lighter and more finely made than the Ruger, but if it is more accurate it would take a Ransom Rest to prove it. Based on what the Ruger does when wearing a scope, my money would be on it in an accuracy test. I never shoot the Woodsman. It is on my list to sell once I learn to use one of the gun auction sites and get to selling.

Last edited by GunDoc7; 07/15/19.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I’m the same way Gundoc. I carried a Single Six every time I went to the hills as a kid but nowadays I’m much more likely to tote a 38 Special or 9mm. Carry a 6” 32 H&R mag quite a bit too. The center fires are just more versatile.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Exactly TheKid. I can see the .32 H&R, or even a .327 Federal, although I have heard the Federal is pretty damn loud. I'm going even more the other way and setting up a 5-1/5" Bisley .45 Colt for the duty. I'm not a handgun hunter "on purpose", but with so many hogs in Texas I don't think there is one too big for hard cast .45 at 1000-1100.

I ended up with two Single Six's with extra .22 Magnum cylinders from my late father and uncle. I sold my uncle's to a friend, but then promised to give my father's to a cousin who wanted one of his guns. So I'll end up without, although I don't think I'll miss one.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by GunDoc7
I've got a Woodsman Target (not Match Target) I bought new in 1977 or thereabouts. 6" barrel. I still have the box and papers. Minimal holster wear, with likely less than 500 rounds through it.

The plan was to make it the gun I carried when I was carrying a .22 handgun "just because." I decided a S&W 63 was better for that duty, although I also found I usually carried a .38 or .357 revolver instead.

For plinking I tend to shoot a Ruger Mk III Target. The Woodsman is lighter and more finely made than the Ruger, but if it is more accurate it would take a Ransom Rest to prove it. Based on what the Ruger does when wearing a scope, my money would be on it in an accuracy test. I never shoot the Woodsman. It is on my list to sell once I learn to use one of the gun auction sites and get to selling.

Put it on Texas armlist for a resident face to face sale.
Too easy to set up an account.
" encrypt" a contact number with numbers and letters
Call or text only , will not respond to email
Give out a possible travel distance / halfway distance
Face to face deal in secure public area .
Show state ID.

Some one will have to have that pistol.....

You will also potentially make contacts in the gun network in your area also.

It's easy to sort out bs artist on armlist.
Not the nightmare ya have heard espically with guys doing ffl shipping from other states.

Jmo....
Btdt.....

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
^^^^^^^
renegade50, thank you so much for all that. When I get time to actually do something, I'll probably send you a PM to make sure I understand all the details.

I have maybe 10-12 to sell. Some pretty good, some not so good. IMO, that Woodsman isn't the best one I have for sale.

T
TheKid Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Well I looked at it in detail this evening and pretty much decided to pass. The whole right side is pitted up and one grip has a chunk missing out of it. Probably be a good ranch gun but too much money I think.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

534 members (1minute, 160user, 21, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 56 invisible), 2,632 guests, and 1,277 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,856
Posts18,478,514
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.