Print Thread
Hop To
Page 70 of 79 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 78 79
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I'm sorry if I missed this. I have not heard skeptics come forward and say:
I believe in the God the Creator, who gives us our moral laws and moral rights. I believe He is the supreme judge of all. Without His divine aid our country cannot be successful.

I did hear some snippets of what is believed in part but not in whole. It seems like you guys are reluctant to make a clear statement of where you stand on every point.

Like Jesus, and the Founders, I am totally opposed to all forms of religious or irreligious oppression or persecution but I also am for building our country and society on Biblical morals. Identifying morality is inescapable because it is the basis upon which the Constitution and the laws are built.

Last edited by Thunderstick; 07/15/19.
GB1

E
efw Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by Idaho_Shooter

I believe religion is "the opiate of the masses" and one should strive to experience heaven here on Earth as there is no other. I also believe in moral absolutes which are beyond reasonable debate and find these to be self evident. How are these things mutually exclusive?

They’re mutually exclusive because there is no such thing as a “moral absolutes which are beyond reasonable debate” and “self evident”. Values cannot be reached from facts or to put it another way what should be cannot be ascertained from what is.

The rational materialist (or material rationalist?) must irrationally believe that unlike everything else in that system their mind is able to transcend its Darwinian programming in order to arrive at some semblance of moral absolute for the good of all. That belief is called faith.

Everyone ultimately ends up exercising faith in one way or another. The idea that one system or making sense of this (religion) is morally superior to another (rationalistic humanism) is as subjective as the faith it takes to look at the processes of evolution andbelive that it’s products could magically transcend them.

Two faiths; one must simply decide which one is most capable of supporting a contented life... and of being scaled up to do so over long periods of time.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Livestock is given double rations on Friday afternoon as well. But some chores are unavoidable on Sabbath and allowed for the health of the herd or flock. Such as, the sheep must still be herded to pasture and water. Cattle or goats must be taken to water if no live water flows through their containment. Dairy animals have to be milked night and morning. And any young animals still dependent upon that milk must be fed.

I meant it as an example of activities that may be construed as being work. It may be construed that people who caught the stick gatherer were themselves engaged in work by arresting him....nor does it say what they were doing out of camp. There are too many holes in the account.

Not that it matters to the contradiction between a God of love who ''is not easily angered, keeps no record of wrongs. ''Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.'' and a God who orders a man killed for the trivial offense of gathering sticks on a Sabbath....which may not even be listed on the 'not to do list'

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Thunderstick

I despise the Inquisition--they never were followers of Christ. However the scale of atrocities by atheistic societies is by far unparalleled.

Really? Evidence please.

Just try nor to use the old chestnuts of Hitler or Stalin or Pol Pot because Hitler was a theist, and Stalin, Pol Pot, et al, acted not on behalf of atheism but power and political ideology.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

Look at the original post it was there all along.when I compared an avowed skeptic reading the Bible to an avowed communist reading our constitution. Critical thinking that requires evidence based conclusions is a good thing. Skepticism as system does not compare with critical thinking. They have a clear anti-religious agenda and therefore they are closer to Communist thought which has the same premise than impartial critical thinking. I have yet to dialogue with a skeptic who made an honest impartial inquiry to find truth.

You are trying to impose your own conditions again.

sceptic
/ˈskɛptɪk/s

1. a person inclined to question or doubt accepted opinions.

''Skepticism, also spelled scepticism, in Western philosophy, the attitude of doubting knowledge claims set forth in various areas. Skeptics have challenged the adequacy or reliability of these claims by asking what principles they are based upon or what they actually establish. They have questioned whether some such claims really are, as alleged, indubitable or necessarily true, and they have challenged the purported rational grounds of accepted assumptions. In everyday life, practically everyone is skeptical about some knowledge claims; but philosophical skeptics have doubted the possibility of any knowledge beyond that of the contents of directly felt experience''

IC B2

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker

I was saying you ought to study church history from original sources--the ante-Nicene and Nicene works. That is by far the largest source of original data.Skeptic scholarship assumes they can revise history to suit their objectives, But as I pointed out there history of the canon is fraught with unfounded speculation and lack of facts. Maybe they don't study history.

You assume too much. I was referring not to 'Skeptic scholarship' but to academic studies of the history and development of the bible.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT

Livestock is given double rations on Friday afternoon as well. But some chores are unavoidable on Sabbath and allowed for the health of the herd or flock. Such as, the sheep must still be herded to pasture and water. Cattle or goats must be taken to water if no live water flows through their containment. Dairy animals have to be milked night and morning. And any young animals still dependent upon that milk must be fed.

I meant it as an example of activities that may be construed as being work. It may be construed that people who caught the stick gatherer were themselves engaged in work by arresting him....nor does it say what they were doing out of camp. There are too many holes in the account.

Not that it matters to the contradiction between a God of love who ''is not easily angered, keeps no record of wrongs. ''Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.'' and a God who orders a man killed for the trivial offense of gathering sticks on a Sabbath....which may not even be listed on the 'not to do list'

Gathering wood on the Sabbath, openly and in direct and flagrant disobedience to a clear command of God. Stick your finger up at God and expect Him to just let it go? Nope, it doesn’t work that way.

But, it seems you do not understand, accept and certainly don’t believe the truth of the Law and what it shows and represents. Also, you can’t understand the fulfillment of the Law.

It would seem you really don’t like the idea that sin has consequences.

Sin, flagrant disobedience and disregard for the Creator, has consequence.

God does not tolerate sin and sin is not allowed in His heaven.

At one time, I ran a large crew of men doing some difficult and somewhat dangerous work. Working for me was simple.... listen to the instructions ..... do it the right way..... if one would not do that, if he was endangering himself and the rest of the crew and he would be gone pdq.

Life is kinda that way..... you can listen and do it right or like Stevie Nicks sang.......“go your own way.”

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Another thought on the stick gatherer......

What do you think God should do with that same guy who spent a lifetime sticking his finger up at God..... ignoring the Creator.... belittling the death of the Son on the cross...

What would you expect God to do with that man...... a man sinful by nature and to the core....

Now, I know what you would WANT God to do, but sin is not allowed in Heaven and that man has made a choice and he has made a decision to live his life without God.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT

I was saying you ought to study church history from original sources--the ante-Nicene and Nicene works. That is by far the largest source of original data.Skeptic scholarship assumes they can revise history to suit their objectives, But as I pointed out there history of the canon is fraught with unfounded speculation and lack of facts. Maybe they don't study history.

You assume too much. I was referring not to 'Skeptic scholarship' but to academic studies of the history and development of the bible.

Well you landed on academic error regarding the canon. A lot of revisionist history is done by skeptics so they can use it to claim they are backed by the most recent scholarship. The history of the church will show writers quoting from books of the Bible and Bible translations long before the first local council on the canon which shows your academic source as having flunked the history test.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TF49
Originally Posted by DBT

Gathering wood on the Sabbath, openly and in direct and flagrant disobedience to a clear command of God. Stick your finger up at God and expect Him to just let it go? Nope, it doesn’t work that way.

But, it seems you do not understand, accept and certainly don’t believe the truth of the Law and what it shows and represents. Also, you can’t understand the fulfillment of the Law.

It would seem you really don’t like the idea that sin has consequences.

Sin, flagrant disobedience and disregard for the Creator, has consequence.

God does not tolerate sin and sin is not allowed in His heaven.

At one time, I ran a large crew of men doing some difficult and somewhat dangerous work. Working for me was simple.... listen to the instructions ..... do it the right way..... if one would not do that, if he was endangering himself and the rest of the crew and he would be gone pdq.

Life is kinda that way..... you can listen and do it right or like Stevie Nicks sang.......“go your own way.”

We are not told about the circumstances by which the man was gathering sticks, or what the people who caught him were doing.

Not that any of this matters to the contradiction between descriptions of a God of Love and the vindictive Tyrant of the old testament. If one is true, the other must be false, hence a contradiction between the two sets of descriptions.

IC B3

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

Well you landed on academic error regarding the canon. A lot of revisionist history is done by skeptics so they can use it to claim they are backed by the most recent scholarship. The history of the church will show writers quoting from books of the Bible and Bible translations long before the first local council on the canon which shows your academic source as having flunked the history test.

No such thing. I refer to academic scholarship relating to the history and development of the collection of books that we see in the bible....including the issue of where its stories and beliefs came from, creation myths borrowed from older religions and cultures, flood legends, etc, modified and incorporated into the narrative of the Torah, etc, etc.

J
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
J
I hope you remember that "assume too much" when your knee bends.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jaguartx

You yourself happen to be assuming the vindictive tyrant over the God of Love, who does not keep a record of wrongs and is 'good to all' unconditionally.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT

You yourself happen to be assuming the vindictive tyrant over the God of Love, who does not keep a record of wrongs and is 'good to all' unconditionally.

Well, you’re not much of a bible scholar.

You don’t even have a grasp of the basics.

Meh...

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by DBT

Meh...

The "basics" begin with the fact that there's not good evidence to support the proposition of it's literal truth.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by Starman
the draconian church conveniently shelved the concept of 'free will' and adopted coercion.

Coulda fooled me. Free will is essential to Church theology at least since Aquinas, and is rooted in the ancient Greek philosophers.

so the church stopped operating through various methods of coercion since Aquinas? ...lol

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT

How would 'work' even be defined....is everyone supposed to abstain from cooking meals on a Sabbath because cooking is work,
lighting a fire is work?.

ignition, and/ or simply adding fuel to an existing flame is considered work.
Driving ones car is forbidden because it involves ignition of fuel.

21st century Orthodox Jews consider pressing a pedestrian crossing button ( while on the way to the synagogue)
as a form of work which the sabbath forbids.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

Meh...

Sour Grapes....you are merely lashing out in frustration.

If you were actually willing to consider the issue, you'd understand that I am only quoting from the bible, that it is the bible itself that gives two opposing descriptions of its God. One that describes a Vindictive Tyrant, willing to kill for trivial reasons, punishing generations for the actions of their ancestors.... and the other, a God of Love, forgiving, one who does not keep a record, is kind and merciful to all.

This is not me making stuff up, just descriptions taken from the bible. Which I have fully supported with quotes and references.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Starman
Originally Posted by DBT

How would 'work' even be defined....is everyone supposed to abstain from cooking meals on a Sabbath because cooking is work,
lighting a fire is work?.

ignition, and/ or simply adding fuel to an existing flame is considered work.
Driving ones car is forbidden because it involves ignition of fuel.

21st century Orthodox Jews consider pressing a pedestrian crossing button ( while on the way to the synagogue)
as a form of work which the sabbath forbids.

Presuming that the gatherer of sticks intended to take his bundle back to camp for his fire, he wasn't doing it in secret. He would have been seen returning to camp with his load, he would know that his neighbors would see....yet he went out and did what he did....why? Perhaps because gathering sticks wasn't considered breaking the Sabbath until the point where it was put to the test?

Not that it matters to the issue of killing someone for that reason, a God of death rather than a God of Life. There being many possible punishments or penalties that don't involve taking a life (though shalt not kill)

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Lots of chores need doing on Sundays...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

Page 70 of 79 1 2 68 69 70 71 72 78 79

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

623 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 66 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,379 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,410
Posts18,528,153
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.