Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 73 of 79 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 78 79
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by Jahrs

Half the time you sound like a Reformer. Are you a closet 5 pointer?

If pigeon holing people makes you feel better , go right ahead.

-Bulletproof and Waterproof don't mean Idiotproof.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
You should understand that a simple term such as 'free will' is not an explanation for human behaviour or decision making.

Not to belabor the point but in philosophy "free will" is a term of art for a rather complex, but basic,concept. It is not a simple term.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Thunderstick
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by TF49

Nope, as I have explained before, there is an abundance and evidence and a surety of proof...... but you don’t see it .....

Further, this guy is commenting on the Bible and presumably offering comment about biblical interpretation.

He is ignorant of the basics but comments anyway.....,simply does not know what he is talking about.....

The “basics” here is not the “reality” of God, nor even the evidence for God. He commenting on what the Bible says and how it is interpreted. As I said, he does not have an understanding..... simple.

That's not an argument. You are offering your opinion. A poorly informed opinion at that.

The fact is, the earliest form of bible, the Codex, is not the same as the current version/s. Nor is this the only problem with the bible.

For example;

Compare differences between the King James Version and Codex Sinaiticus

''The text of Codex Sinaiticus differs in numerous instances from that of the authorized version of the Bible in use during Tischendorf’s time. For example, the resurrection narrative at the end of Mark (16:9–20) is absent from the Codex Sinaiticus. So is the conclusion of the Lord’s Prayer: “For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen” (Matthew 6:13). The woman caught in adultery from John 8 is omitted in Codex Sinaiticus. According to James Bentley, Tischendorf was not troubled by the omission of the resurrection in Mark because he believed that Matthew was written first and that Mark’s gospel was an abridged version of Matthew’s gospel. If this were true, the absence of resurrection in Mark would not be a problem because it appears in the older Matthean gospel. Modern scholarship generally holds that Mark is in fact the oldest of the Synoptic Gospels, which could cause theological concerns over the omitted resurrection.''

''One other omission in Codex Sinaiticus with theological implications is the reference to Jesus’ ascension in Luke 24:51. Additionally, Mark 1:1 in the original hand omits reference to Jesus as the Son of God.''

If you think the Sinaiticus is the most authoritative text of the Bible why have you been repeatedly using the phrase, "Let he that is without sin among you cast the first stone?"
The whole account of the "pericope de adultera" is not in Sinaiticus at all! This is another example of where you hop-scotch through documents and compose your tic-tack-toe syllogisms and then contradict yourself by using a phrase to make a point that is not even in the text that you consider the most authoritative.

Before you get too wound up over Sinaiticus you ought to know that the Old Latin Bible and the Latin Vulgate were based on texts that were even earlier and they have the account of the pericope de adultera in them just like it is in the AV.

So what premise are you giving up?
1. one of your pet phrases--he that is without sin among let him cast the first stone?
2. or that Sinaiticus is the most authoritative text?
3. or that your propositions are logical?

What I pointed out has nothing to do with claims over which happens to be more authorative, just there are differences and contradictions, that the Gospels were written decades after their described events by anonymous authors and compiled by a series of councils...that the first bible is not identical to its current form, and even then there are differences, Catholic bible, etc.

Then there's the consideration that Judaism does not recognise Jesus as the promised Messiah because he did not meet the requirements.

As of course the problem of evil and the undeniable contradictions between NT descriptions of a God of Love and the vindictive tyrant of the OT.

Last edited by DBT; 07/16/19.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Originally Posted by DBT
You should understand that a simple term such as 'free will' is not an explanation for human behaviour or decision making.

Not to belabor the point but in philosophy "free will" is a term of art for a rather complex, but basic,concept. It is not a simple term.

The term itself does not describe human behaviour or explain how or why decisions are made. It's just a reference to something, which is why the free will debate has spanned centuries.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

You've ignored baptism for one thing.

Are you flesh born [or conceived] in a state of natural man 'Adamic' sin and already cut-off from God at that time .. or not?

IC B2

J
Jahrs Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Starman

Originally Posted by Jahrs

Half the time you sound like a Reformer. Are you a closet 5 pointer?

If pigeon holing people makes you feel better , go right ahead.

No not pigeon holing, your interpretation of scripture is right on at times.

“No one in hell can ever say I went to Christ and He rejected me.

C.H. Spurgeon
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT
The term itself does not describe human behaviour or explain how or why decisions are made. It's just a reference to something, which is why the free will debate has spanned centuries.

It only describes an aspect of the nature of man. And I would argue is necessary in sustaining the "I-thou" relationship which is a basis of Western thought.

Again. Free will does not consider how or why decisions are made. But before we can make a decision we must have the ability to make a decision. Free will is concerned with the nature of that ability.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

Nope, as I have explained before, there is an abundance and evidence and a surety of proof...... but you don’t see it .....

Further, this guy is commenting on the Bible and presumably offering comment about biblical interpretation.

He is ignorant of the basics but comments anyway.....,simply does not know what he is talking about.....

The “basics” here is not the “reality” of God, nor even the evidence for God. He commenting on what the Bible says and how it is interpreted. As I said, he does not have an understanding..... simple.

That's not an argument. You are offering your opinion. A poorly informed opinion at that.

The fact is, the earliest form of bible, the Codex, is not the same as the current version/s. Nor is this the only problem with the bible.

For example;

''The text of Codex Sinaiticus differs in numerous instances from that of the authorized version of the Bible in use during Tischendorf’s time. For example, the resurrection narrative at the end of Mark (16:9–20) is absent from the Codex Sinaiticus. So is the conclusion of the Lord’s Prayer: “For thine is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen” (Matthew 6:13). The woman caught in adultery from John 8 is omitted in Codex Sinaiticus. According to James Bentley, Tischendorf was not troubled by the omission of the resurrection in Mark because he believed that Matthew was written first and that Mark’s gospel was an abridged version of Matthew’s gospel. If this were true, the absence of resurrection in Mark would not be a problem because it appears in the older Matthean gospel. Modern scholarship generally holds that Mark is in fact the oldest of the Synoptic Gospels, which could cause theological concerns over the omitted resurrection.''

''One other omission in Codex Sinaiticus with theological implications is the reference to Jesus’ ascension in Luke 24:51. Additionally, Mark 1:1 in the original hand omits reference to Jesus as the Son of God.''

Let's look at another example of DBT's self-vaunted scholarship:
Modern scholarship generally holds that Mark is in fact the oldest of the Synoptic Gospels, which could cause theological concerns over the omitted resurrection.''

The short ending of Mark omits verses 9-16, not the whole chapter, so therefore in the short ending we still have the resurrection:

5 And entering the tomb, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, dressed in a white robe, and they were alarmed. 6 And he said to them, “Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has risen; he is not here. See the place where they laid him. 7 But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going before you to Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.”

You should not be putting yourself forth as a scholar if you are not going to present scholarly material.

You are avoiding the contradiction issue by deflecting problems with the bible onto your opponents. Ad Homs being a sign of frustration.

What you fail to consider is that my 'bible scholarship' - of which I have made no claims - is irrelevant to what the bible itself says about its god, which I merely quote. The quoted verses themselves paint two opposing pictures of God, two contradictory accounts of the nature and character of God.

This is what you studiously ignore. Given the nature of faith, it's not surprising.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

It only describes an aspect of the nature of man. And I would argue is necessary in sustaining the "I-thou" relationship which is a basis of Western thought.

Again. Free will does not consider how or why decisions are made. But before we can make a decision we must have the ability to make a decision. Free will is concerned with the nature of that ability.

The brain of a Butterfly can make decisions, a computer can select between a set of options based on the given criteria. Making decisions is not a matter of will.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

For example;

Let's look at another example of DBT's self-vaunted scholarship:
Modern scholarship generally holds that Mark is in fact the oldest of the Synoptic Gospels, which could cause theological concerns over the omitted resurrection.''

The short ending of Mark omits verses 9-16, not the whole chapter, so therefore in the short ending we still have the resurrection:

5 And entering the tomb, they saw a young man sitting on the right side, dressed in a white robe, and they were alarmed. 6 And he said to them, “Do not be alarmed. You seek Jesus of Nazareth, who was crucified. He has risen; he is not here. See the place where they laid him. 7 But go, tell his disciples and Peter that he is going before you to Galilee. There you will see him, just as he told you.”

You should not be putting yourself forth as a scholar if you are not going to present scholarly material.

You are avoiding the contradiction issue by deflecting problems with the bible onto your opponents. Ad Homs being a sign of frustration.

What you fail to consider is that my 'bible scholarship' - of which I have made no claims - is irrelevant to what the bible itself says about its god, which I merely quote. The quoted verses themselves paint two opposing pictures of God, two contradictory accounts of the nature and character of God.

This is what you studiously ignore. Given the nature of faith, it's not surprising.

Yep, just what I expected. Nothing but more empty bafflegab.

No record of wrongs? ...... God is good to all...unconditionally?

What say you?

No answer from you ......

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

The brain of a Butterfly can make decisions, a computer can select between a set of options based on the given criteria. Making decisions is not a matter of will.

I have seen a number of skeptics allege that there is no such thing as free will. The individual is simply incapable of making a free will choice as he is bound by his circumstances, training, upbringing, culture and he didn’t get what he really wanted for his birthday.

What a pity..... simply a stick in the stream of life.... pushed around by circumstance.

The tax collector said: “Lord Jesus, have mercy on me, a sinner.” Jesus said he went home “justified.”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

What a pity..... simply a stick in the stream of life.... pushed around by circumstance.

the disciples bobbed around like a helpless cork in the ocean, when their fishing boat was tossed & thrown around
in the stormy sea of Galilee...effectively they were being..' pushed around by circumstance'.

They ventured out in a calm sea, but circumstances then changed beyond their will.

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Yep, just what I expected. Nothing but more empty bafflegab.

Still no rational argument. You offer your own 'bafflegab' even while accusing your opponent of it.

No record of wrongs? ...... God is good to all...unconditionally?

What say you?

No answer from you ......

What do you mean 'no answer?'

Are you even reading what I say and what I quote in support?

It doesn't seem to be the case.

Once again. Please pay attention Keep in mind that these are not my words or claims but what your bible itself says about its god;

''The Lord is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.''Psalm 145:9 - tell the stick gatherer about the tender mercy of god....ordered to be publically executed when there are other more merciful punishments available.

1 John 4:7-8; Dear friends, let us love one another, for love comes from God. Everyone who loves has been born of God and knows God. 8Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.

1 Corinthians 13; Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.''

If you cannot see the contraction between this and OT references to its God, there is no hope for you, you have no grasp of Logic or reason.

Shall a trumpet be blown in the city, and the people not be afraid? shall there be evil in a city, and the LORD hath not done it?" (Amos
3:6, KJV)

"Out of the mouth of the most High proceedeth not evil and good? "
(Lamentations 3:38)

The Lord is a man of war, - Exodus 15:3.

"The Lord shall go forth as a mighty man, He shall stir up jealousy like a man of war: He shall cry, yea roar; He shall prevail against His enemies". Isaiah 42:13

''I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me'' Exodus 20:4

What happened to;

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;
That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust. Matt 5:44

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT

I have seen a number of skeptics allege that there is no such thing as free will. The individual is simply incapable of making a free will choice as he is bound by his circumstances, training, upbringing, culture and he didn’t get what he really wanted for his birthday.

You can use the term free will if you like but as a common reference it simply does nothing to explain how or why decisions are made.

Nobody is claiming that we cannot make decisions.

Obviously we can.

So can any animal that has a central nervous system and a brain.

The point being that the term 'free will' tells us nothing about the behaviour of humans or other animals. There is far more to behaviour, how it is driven or decided than what the simplistic term 'free will' can convey.....which is in fact, not much.

Again, nobody argues that we cannot make decisions. The issue is with the how and why of decision making.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DBT

[quote=Thunderstick][quote=DBT][quote=Thunderstick]An avowed skeptic reading the Bible is similar to an avowed communist reading our constitution.

Look at the original post it was there all along.when I compared an avowed skeptic reading the Bible to an avowed communist reading our constitution. Critical thinking that requires evidence based conclusions is a good thing. Skepticism as system does not compare with critical thinking. They have a clear anti-religious agenda and therefore they are closer to Communist thought which has the same premise than impartial critical thinking. I have yet to dialogue with a skeptic who made an honest impartial inquiry to find truth.

Thank God that Thomas Jefferson lead the battle to separate church and state. Some of the rigid, my way or the highway, closed minds on this thread have even called his ideas; “rantings.”
Scary.

“...legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between Church & State. Adhering to this expression of the supreme will of the nation in behalf of the rights of conscience, I shall see with sincere satisfaction the progress of those sentiments which tend to restore to man all his natural rights, convinced he has no natural right in opposition to his social duties.”
― Thomas Jefferson, Letters of Thomas Jefferson

“Where the preamble declares that coercion is a departure from the plan of the holy author of our religion, an amendment was proposed, by inserting the word "Jesus Christ," so that it should read "a departure from the plan of Jesus Christ, the holy author of our religion." The insertion was rejected by a great majority, in proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of it's protection, the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and Mahometan, the Hindoo, and infidel of every denomination.”
― Thomas Jefferson, Autobiography of Thomas Jefferson

“The government of the United States is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion.”
― John Adams

“Every new & successful example therefore of a perfect separation between ecclesiastical and civil matters, is of importance. And I have no doubt that every new example, will succeed, as every past one has done, in shewing that religion & Govt. will both exist in greater purity, the less they are mixed together.
[Letter to Edward Livingston, 10 July 1822 - Writings 9:100--103]”
― James Madison, James Madison: Writings

“Christianity may be good and Satanism evil. Under the Constitution, however, both are neutral. This is an important, but difficult, concept for many law enforcement officers to accept. They are paid to uphold the penal code, not the Ten Commandments … The fact is that far more crime and child abuse has been committed by zealots in the name of God, Jesus and Mohammed than has ever been committed in the name of Satan. Many people don’t like that statement, but few can argue with it.”
― Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

“Those who would renegotiate the boundaries between church and state must therefore answer a difficult question: why would we trade a system that has served us so well for one that has served others so poorly?”
― Sandra Day O'Connor

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT
Originally Posted by DBT
An avowed skeptic reading the Bible is similar to an avowed communist reading our constitution.

Nothing like it. Believers reading the bible interpret its narrative through the filter of their own beliefs, their faith, which often means ignoring or dismissing all that is inconvenient.

The proof of that lies in the numerous interpretations and offshoots in Christianity, which began almost immediately. Plus of course, Judaism does not recognize Jesus as the prophesied Messiah.

And skeptics and communists don't have a filter lol?

Where did 'communists' come from? Did you slip that in for dramatic effect?

As for skepticism as a principle, not an ideology, that is just a way of examining claims in a logical and rational manner.

Given all the things people try to sell us as truth, a bit of applied scepticism is a healthy thing.

Look at the original post it was there all along.when I compared an avowed skeptic reading the Bible to an avowed communist reading our constitution. Critical thinking that requires evidence based conclusions is a good thing. Skepticism as system does not compare with critical thinking. They have a clear anti-religious agenda and therefore they are closer to Communist thought which has the same premise than impartial critical thinking. I have yet to dialogue with a skeptic who made an honest impartial inquiry to find truth.

Only because you happen to personally disagree. You express your own perspective without regard for the perspective of others.

When it comes to impartiality or objectivity, the sceptic can say exactly the same about you, except the sceptic would be right and you would be wrong.

You would be wrong because you interpret the bible through the filter of your faith while the sceptic justs sees what is written. There are many sceptics who were once Christians and it was the contradictions and the absurdities of the bible that brought about their de-conversion.

As I mentioned before, the cruel vindictive nature of the old testament god was noted very early in the development of Christianity. As it split into opposing groups, the Gnostics relegated Yahweh to the status of a lower god, an evil Demiurge.

''In Gnosticism the Demiurge created evil as in the Apocryphon of John (in the Nag Hammadi library), the Demiurge has the name "Yaltabaoth". Through arrogance born of stupidity, he proclaims himself as God:''

''In the Gnostic view, there is a true, ultimate and transcendent God, who is beyond all created universes and who never created anything in the sense in which the word “create” is ordinarily understood. While this True God did not fashion or create anything, He (or, It) “emanated” or brought forth from within Himself the substance of all there is in all the worlds, visible and invisible. In a certain sense, it may therefore be true to say that all is God, for all consists of the substance of God.''

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DBT

Free will is 1) a capacity of the human intellect 2) to choose independently of natural, social, or divine restraints (different than coercion).

Look at 2) above. A computer is obviously restrained by the laws of physics. I would argue that a butterfly is similarly restrained by the laws of nature. People are not though their choices may be influenced by many things. We are not even restrained in our choices by a deity, heaven or hell, whichever you wish. Unless, of course, people are on par with butterflies.

Which explains a lot.
DBT Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by DBT

Free will is 1) a capacity of the human intellect 2) to choose independently of natural, social, or divine restraints (different than coercion).

The problem being that there is always a natural restraint.

It's called the condition of your brain, its capacity and information state in any given moment in time.

You don't choose to forget where you placed your key, you cannot recall because recalling is a brain function.....but a moment later the memory may come to mind unbidden.

You are not taking into consideration the underlying unconscious processes, neural activity, that generates and forms your experience of perception, thought and decision making.

You need to define what you mean by free will; compatibalist free will, Libertarian, the ability to have chosen otherwise in any given instance in time, etc, etc.

For a start, do you believe that the world is determined or probabilistic?

Look at 2) above. A computer is obviously restrained by the laws of physics. I would argue that a butterfly is similarly restrained by the laws of nature. People are not though their choices may be influenced by many things. We are not even restrained in our choices by a deity, heaven or hell, whichever you wish. Unless, of course, people are on par with butterflies.

The brain is also restrained by it's own architecture, which may or may not enable such abilities as math, the ability to reason, control impulses, etc.

Neural architecture being the sole source of information processing and decision making, sensory inputs, distribution and processing of sensory information, integration with memory followed by conscious awareness of that information in the form of our experience of the world and self.....

Last edited by DBT; 07/17/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DBT
The brain of a Butterfly can make decisions, ...

,.... We are not even restrained in our choices by a deity, heaven or hell, whichever you wish. Unless, of course, people are on par with butterflies.

you are on par with something far less appealing or capable than a butterfly;

Job 25:6
"how much less man, who is a maggot, and the son of man, who is a worm!”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DBT, That may be if man was nothing more than a physical being. Even the ancient Greek philosophers saw a transcendent aspect in man. There is more to us than brain chemistry.(I for one have made the most damnfool, illogical, self destructive decisions even a butterfly would avoid. Nothing restrained me.)

Starman, All of the New Testament is to the contrary. No comparison to the Deity, but He thinks we're worth saving.

Which explains a lot.
Page 73 of 79 1 2 71 72 73 74 75 78 79

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

555 members (1OntarioJim, 160user, 10gaugeman, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 50 invisible), 2,373 guests, and 1,259 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,336
Posts18,526,767
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.