Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Many years ago, a friend and I went out to shoot handguns one morning after a long (12 hour) night shift on a plant start-up near baton Rouge. My pistol was a Browning .380 semi I bought from a former police officer, who said it had been his "back-up" gun. My bud's shooter was a very nice Browning Hi Power! He liked my "baby Browning", but I fell in love his his High Power! Darn thing shot like a rifle -as far as close range accuracy!

Was reading a post about High Powers recently and remembered that morning - and the 9mm. Been looking for one I want to afford ever since!

Expecting to get one, one way or the other, fairly soon! Never too late to scratch and ich?

Mike Holmes

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Argentinian FM Detective is a version I have never seen before. That would be a carry candidate for me in an alloy.

I won't get my hopes up....

Defend the Constitution
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tomk
Argentinian FM Detective is a version I have never seen before. That would be a carry candidate for me in an alloy.

i picked up a nickel argentine a few years ago, and i think it's a well made pistol.
the detectives came in a number of years ago, and they are around.

http://www.cruffler.com/review-February-01.html

Last edited by RoninPhx; 07/17/19.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I've loved and owned BHPs as well as a nice Argentine, but once I owned a CZ I finally let the last HP (The Argentine) go. But, I still drool at the BHP...

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Did spring for a CZ PCR. With a set of thin LOK grips, it does feel very similar grip-wise to the HP when in SA mode.

Not that I'd consider parting with the HP...:)

Defend the Constitution
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
I've loved and owned BHPs as well as a nice Argentine, but once I owned a CZ I finally let the last HP (The Argentine) go. But, I still drool at the BHP...

my wife says my problem is i never let anything go, which is a problem maybe or not.
In my opinion, the cz's are just a later product to the 1935 hi power. Feel much similar in hand with added benefits.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jorgeI
They need to do like Colt does with their Series 70. Limited production, but faithful to the original with the round hammer, wood grips and deep blueing. I'd buy one

That's really the only way I'd want one, just to get a classic. And a real classic as in an unbroken continuation of the line, not some made up thing with Classic in the name like the new S&W "Classic" models.

A single action 9mm with a so-so trigger and a 13 round magazine is still a viable sidearm but time and technology move on. Even if they tried to hang some modern bells and whistles on it, if'n your life depends on it there are better options these days for a hard core defensive piece.

Still a very cool gun. They feel better in my hand than just about anything outside of a good SA revolver grip.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The BHP isn't listed as available on either the FN site or the Browning site at present.

Retired cat herder.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I hope they never start making them again. My Hi Power will just keep getting more valuable with time.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by tomk

I have an aluminum frame Hi Power...I would love to find a Detective upper for it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
Originally Posted by jorgeI
They need to do like Colt does with their Series 70. Limited production, but faithful to the original with the round hammer, wood grips and deep blueing. I'd buy one

That's really the only way I'd want one, just to get a classic. And a real classic as in an unbroken continuation of the line, not some made up thing with Classic in the name like the new S&W "Classic" models.

A single action 9mm with a so-so trigger and a 13 round magazine is still a viable sidearm but time and technology move on. Even if they tried to hang some modern bells and whistles on it, if'n your life depends on it there are better options these days for a hard core defensive piece.

Still a very cool gun. They feel better in my hand than just about anything outside of a good SA revolver grip.
I find myself pretty much in complete agreement.

Certainly the Hi Power can serve as a self defense firearm in modern times; and it can do it very well. A properly customized Hi Power is an awesome platform for launching bullets.

That said...Modern pistols are just as reliable & reliable as a Hi Power. Yet they're MUCH cheaper, MUCH tougher, and most have actually been designed to handle modern high pressure loads.

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
A good BHP is a beautiful thing. A few custom touches and it will do about anything a combat gun should do.
Bob

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by RGK
A good BHP is a beautiful thing. A few custom touches and it will do about anything a combat gun should do.
Bob

[Linked Image]

That one sure is nice.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
for those that didn't see it or don't get the magazine.
Nice writeup in the american rifleman august issue on the lkci regent Br9.
a turkish produced hi power showing msrp of $559
the picture and writeup looks pretty good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RoninPhx
for those that didn't see it or don't get the magazine.
Nice writeup in the american rifleman august issue on the lkci regent Br9.
a turkish produced hi power showing msrp of $559
the picture and writeup looks pretty good.

I think they're pretty much what you would expect out of Turkey. Mechanically they are very sound, accurate, and reliable; and a great value. Aesthetically, they're not as much attention to detail as you would see on an FN made pistol. But I fully expect these will end up being great pistols, and someone can really get the Hi Power experience without dropping a grand on a used FN.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1minute, 204guy, 1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 72 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,453 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,682
Posts18,493,903
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.