Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
I thought it would be good to do a YouTube Video on Shimming/Headspacing a Knight Bare Primer Breech Plug, This is geared toward the folks that do better when they can get a Visual on a Project. Mr Sabotloader has an AWESOME Pictorial Layout on doing this SIMPLE Procedure (How i learned to do it) Hopefully he will ad that here in this Thread , This is REALLY easy to do Folks, and it WORKS EXCEPTIONALLY Well, After 10-12 Shots of Real Blackpowder Through my New Knight Mountaineer You could eat from the Breech of my Rifle, it stays as clean as a Centerfire! If you follow this procedure it puts an END to “Blowback” I have had ZERO Stuck primers, When i open the Bolt the Spent Primers literally Fall in my Hand

Do yourself a BIG favor and get a Lehigh Breech Plug, and Vent liners. Here is a link to them
http://www.lehighdefense.com/all

Here is what my Primers look like from 2 Different outings, 2 Different Powders/Projectiles

Spent primers using Real Blackpowder
[Linked Image]

And after using BH209
[Linked Image]

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good one. Thanks.

I gave my Ultra Light to my son, who has a much longer season in VA than we do. He killed four with it last year. I'll pass this on. Do different primer brands require different shim thicknesses? I know some I tried were too large in diameter to fit my plug. It's not inconceivable that they differ in length a bit as well.

BTW, I strongly suggest anyone buying one of the Knights to get one with sights, just in case you ever get a chance to hunt in someplace like CO. He's having to borrow my Strike for his elk hunt, and I've got to pull the scope and remount the irons on that.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

This is the deer my other son took with that UL the year I bought it, 2014 IIRC. 80gr BH and a 300gr .45 XTP.

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Nice Whitetail Buck!! Look at those LOOOONG Split Browtines, COOL!!

Yes 209 Primers do Vary in length

This Chart is NOT mine, nor my Work, I pulled it from the WWW

[Linked Image]

“Absolutely nothing is good enough if it can be made better. And better is never good enough if it can be made best." Author Unknown
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
I see the Primer Chart above was work done by Busta (fine print at bottom) Credit should ALWAYS be given where it’s Due 👍

A short Rant about the above. I’ve seen my work hauled to other Forums and Claimed, It’s a CRAP Deal when someone does that. But it’s the Web, if you are ok with putting it on here and Sharing it, you need to learn to be ok when Someone Steals it, And Claims it to be their own (it’s happened to me plenty of times!) And the Oldest 1 in the Book, You Post something Cool and unique that Works EXTREMELY well and someone comes on with “I have always done it that Way” I’ve seen that one a LOT! There are Good, Genuine folks on all of these Various Forums, But there are also CULLS, Just gotta Weed through 👍

Last edited by Idaholewis; 07/17/19.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks to Busta, then. Based on what I've read concerning other primers, his chart likely only applies to those lots of those primers, as there seem to be some variations between lots.

My original factory plug wouldn't accept Fiocchi primers due to their larger O.D. So far, my Strike swallows them all, and if one's a bit sticky, the break action makes it easy to get at, and if need be, you can tap out the insert and replace it (hasn't been necessary so far).

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So far, the sons have taken 9 or 10 deer with that rifle, but Dad only one, a scraggly freak carrying a crossbow head in its shoulder.

Here's one from last season:

[Linked Image]

What fresh Hell is this?
I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Thanks to Busta, then. Based on what I've read concerning other primers, his chart likely only applies to those lots of those primers, as there seem to be some variations between lots.

My original factory plug wouldn't accept Fiocchi primers due to their larger O.D. So far, my Strike swallows them all, and if one's a bit sticky, the break action makes it easy to get at, and if need be, you can tap out the insert and replace it (hasn't been necessary so far).

Pappy348, I agree with you on variations between Primer lots, Busta’s chart above is Old. I am shooting Win 209s currently, and have noticed that Several will feel Fairly Snug when Closing the Bolt (Due to Headspacing as i showed above) Then i get 1 here and there that has very little felt Resitance. But even the ones that have Very little felt Resistance are Sealing, as i get NO BLOWBACK! Just think if had NOT Known how to Headspace My Breech Plug? I would be getting LOTS of Blowback.

A person needs to take primer variation in to account when Shimming/Headspacing off the Primer as i showed above. You don’t want the Bolt RIDICULOUSLY tight, Just Snug so you are getting some “Crush” on the 209 When the bolt closes

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nice video.

I've been waiting for my UL plug to go south, I've heard around 100 shots, but haven't had any issues so far. Mine works great with W209s, but I was wondering how the shimming deal worked in case I need to do it when I replace my plug. Makes perfect sense now.

One question, who made that scope base on your ML?

IC B3

I
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I
Originally Posted by Holston
Nice video.

I've been waiting for my UL plug to go south, I've heard around 100 shots, but haven't had any issues so far. Mine works great with W209s, but I was wondering how the shimming deal worked in case I need to do it when I replace my plug. Makes perfect sense now.

Murphy’s Precision, They aren’t Cheap, But are VERY HIGH Quality 👍 I went with a 20 MOA, He can do whatever you want

https://www.murphyprecision.com/Products/Item/1451

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Oh how I wish we had a TRADITIONAL MUZZLELOADER forum!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Idaholewis
Originally Posted by Holston
Nice video.

Murphy’s Precision, They aren’t Cheap, But are VERY HIGH Quality 👍 I went with a 20 MOA, He can do whatever you want

https://www.murphyprecision.com/Products/Item/1451

Thanks! Those do look nice.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 51 invisible), 2,229 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,251
Posts18,486,261
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.