Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
John, would you mind sharing the details of the bases and rings on the NULA? Talley bases and rings?

GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Those are indeed Talleys, the steel model with detachable rings.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
.........Eventually bought a PVC pipe coupler with approximately the right dimenions. It cost 69 cents, or maybe it was $1.69.

Anyway, took it home and cut a "washer" off it with a hacksaw, then used files to get the final dimensions right, and it works just fine. You can see it under the elevation turret.

Excellent workaround. For folks with access to one a 3D printer is another option.

I think it's important to put the stop a few clicks under 0 so you don't torque it but its simple and effective.

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Those are indeed Talleys, the steel model with detachable rings.

Didn't see them listed on the Talley website? Purchased from Talley or Melvin Forbes.

I am planning on mounting a SHV on my 30-06 CLR/NULA and was going to call Melvin for a set of the 30 mm lightweights. I wasn't aware there were other options!

Thanks for the info

Scott

Thanks for the reply Vic-in-VA

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
.........Eventually bought a PVC pipe coupler with approximately the right dimenions. It cost 69 cents, or maybe it was $1.69.

Anyway, took it home and cut a "washer" off it with a hacksaw, then used files to get the final dimensions right, and it works just fine. You can see it under the elevation turret.

Excellent workaround. For folks with access to one a 3D printer is another option.

I think it's important to put the stop a few clicks under 0 so you don't torque it but its simple and effective.

I am going to measure mine and give it to a guy that has an experimental lab to make some.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

I am going to measure mine and give it to a guy that has an experimental lab to make some.

Let us know if you get some in the works. Thanks.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
JMCUBIC,

"I think it's important to put the stop a few clicks under 0 so you don't torque it but its simple and effective."

That's exactly what I did. NULA's tend to put various loads into a pretty small group at 100 yards, and I already had sighted it in. So filed the stop until it was about 1/4 turn below zero.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
SWJ,

If I remember correctly, got the steel bases from Talley. I don't see them listed on the website, but others might fit the NULA actions. I'm sure if you call Talley they can help you out.

There were two reasons I used the steel rings instead of the Ultralights. First, I didn't have any NULA 30mm ULs on hand, but more importaantly, the NULA .30-06 is so accurate I often use it for testing scopes--and so light the recoil is enough to separate real scopes from pretenders. The detachable steel rings allow me to mount another scope on the rifle, then replace it precisely with the SHV afterward.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
JMCUBIC,

"I think it's important to put the stop a few clicks under 0 so you don't torque it but its simple and effective."

That's exactly what I did. NULA's tend to put various loads into a pretty small group at 100 yards, and I already had sighted it in. So filed the stop until it was about 1/4 turn below zero.

John
Thanks for the tip with the zero stop.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

IC B3

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks John, I will give Talley a call.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
For those who'll be switching scopes around a bit, Talley also makes a pic rail for the NULA rifles. Hopefully the search below will show up correctly. SWFA appear to only have the Model 24 20MOA version in stock but you can see the other options.....if Talley still makes them.... I dislike the extra height of a pic rail but they sure are secure and handy for switching scopes.

https://www.swfa.com/catalogsearch/...ht%20Arms&attachment_style=Picatinny

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

Let us know if you get some in the works. Thanks.

Will do, I thought about a retired machinist doing them and then thought it would waste a lot of delrin to do these that way. I am going to get dimensions this weekend and give it to him next week and see what he can do on the 3d printer. FIngers crossed

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1936M71, 17CalFan, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 69 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,483 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,680
Posts18,493,876
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.