Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
It's been the most cloudy rainy summer I've been in NW MT this year. It won't stop raining long enough to get the hay crop off. My neighbor said they are 50% average yield this year on the little he did take off and it's crap quality with some rust. A few ranchers I know are already trying to source more winter hay because it's going to be such a bad year.

It's July 18 and I haven't watered my lawn once. A normal year I'm watering by Early/mid June. And it's currently raining again. I hope the guys east of the divide are in better shape or there's going to be a lot of cow in this falls auctions.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
All the rye grass and clover fields around our place were cut a couple weeks ago. Hasn't been sunny since and has rained or sprinkled every day. Very little has been baled. Looks like they keep turning it.

Carpe' Scrotum
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Gonna be some cheap beef this fall? I cut up and grind my own deer, I wonder how much harder it would be to butcher a cow?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by The_Big_D
Gonna be some cheap beef this fall? I cut up and grind my own deer, I wonder how much harder it would be to butcher a cow?
It's not too much harder. Just make sure you shoot one of your neighbor's calves instead of a full-grown steer or cow. Damn sure don't shoot his bull-too tough. If you have to get in and out of the pasture quickly, especially at night, make sure your chainsaw is running good and has a sharp chain.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
It’s been good here in southeast Texas. Three cuttings, maybe 4.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
It's not too much harder. Just make sure you shoot one of your neighbor's calves instead of a full-grown steer or cow. Damn sure don't shoot his bull-too tough. If you have to get in and out of the pasture quickly, especially at night, make sure your chainsaw is running good and has a sharp chain.

Bull makes some good burger ... really some of the best. I've been eating burger from a friends bull that had a jaw problem for months now, I like it better than steer burger. Everyone else seems to think so too because he has waiting list now for the next bull to kick over.

John Wayne
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Any idiot knows that the weather can change.

No sympathy.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
It's been the most cloudy rainy summer I've been in NW MT this year. It won't stop raining long enough to get the hay crop off. My neighbor said they are 50% average yield this year on the little he did take off and it's crap quality with some rust. A few ranchers I know are already trying to source more winter hay because it's going to be such a bad year.

It's July 18 and I haven't watered my lawn once. A normal year I'm watering by Early/mid June. And it's currently raining again. I hope the guys east of the divide are in better shape or there's going to be a lot of cow in this falls auctions.

In this part of the Midwest we lost nearly the entire month of May for haying.. Normally, first crop's cut between 5/13-5/23.. Not this year - first crop was cut 5/30.. And this last winter caused severe winter kill on many farms.. One guy north of me had to order 400 BAGS of alfalfa seed to replace what he lost.. The farm I work for part-time only lost 170A out of about 700 - so he was a bit lucky.. Even so, first crop barely made 50% of normal.. Second was better. Third crop will be cut in 9 days - IF it stops raining.. I've had 3.5" here in the last 5 days.. But at least they're getting enough feed - thanks to a bumper crop last year allowing some in reserve for this year..

The good thing about this rain is it's fanTASTIC for the corn crops.. Even getting 'em in as late as it was this year, that crop seems to gain 6" a day.. If it all holds together it could be a very, very good year for the corn..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 1st cutting here was late but it's been pretty good weather since Memorial Day, although not as hot as usual. They might not get a 4th cutting this year, though.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

And use vegetable oil for the bar lube.....I heard.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think there is a "You might be a redneck if you use vegetable oil on you chain saw bar" illustrations right there grin

Please don't feed the trolls!
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ironbender

Dewalt 20v sawzall with rough wood blade is the quiet option ... hint ... laugh

John Wayne
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
EthanEdwards I always heard if you can clamp a hose on your chainsaws exhaust and submerge the opposite end in a bucket of water you have a silenced chainsaw .

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S

I prefer a Milwaukee. If you're gonna do a whole steer, make sure you've charged the battery all of the way.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Bad year? What the Hay!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Up in this corner of the world, farmers are just getting finished with the first cutting due to wet, wet spring, Some farmers dug up their fields pretty seriously due to soft ground.. Last year, that's all they got, 1 cutting. Most are a little paranoid about a 2nd cutting as we're continuing to to get regular rain storms.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

This/\/\/\/\. Works VERY well. Sharp knife and a sawzall, all ya need. wink

Do not pray for an easier life, Pray to be stronger men
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And be careful. A guy got killed mowing ditches the other day.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
We are about a month late with 1st cutting alfalfa and maybe a couple weeks late on our hay barley.

Late spring and we have had record moisture the last 4 weeks.

It has been amazing to watch the country side stay green this far into July. It's literally like May in July...

Just crawled out of the swather, no rain in the forecast and pending a break down I'm gonna knock a BUNCH of stuff down in the next 5-6 days.

The barley is so thick and green in places I'm only taking a partial swath in hopes that it will dry out faster. You can see where the really heavy stuff lodged...

Uber potential for great feed if the weather cooperates!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This was a couple evenings ago.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by SamOlson; 07/18/19.
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
Good luck with it Sam. That barley looks great.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (2500HD, 1minute, 1badf350, 280Jeff, 270cowboy, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,337 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,168
Posts18,503,103
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.