Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I owned a Model 16 Savage Weather Warrior in 6.5 Creed that was really accurate with a Varget load and 120 Barnes or 123 Lapua. Pretty close to .270W in killing power and about .243W in recoil. I never did love it and preferred my .30-06 so I let a lady deer hunter have it for the price of a new one. She also paid new price for the scope and everything else including the handloads. By the way, it wouldn't shoot 140s worth a crap. As to 6.5 caliber in the Grendel. My neighbor who I go on hog patrol with almost every day bought a Grendel in AR. We made a 129 Nosler load and a 129 Hornady Interlock SP load that seems to me to hang with a .308W in trajectory. Haven't shot it through a chrony. The more we shoot hogs with it the more I'm impressed. Not a one has gotten away and we've had several 300+ yard kills resting the rifle on the truck hood. Recoil is minimal and the hogs go down. I know this is limited testing and anecdotal but it seems the Grendel delivers a lot with little recoil and I can't see where the Creed did any better as far as killing game. I'm beginning to believe in the inherent superiority of 6.5 bullets and if I were buying a big game rifle for a kid or lady the Grendel in a bolt gun would be my choice.

Patriotism (and religion) is the last refuge of a scoundrel.

Jesus: "Take heed that no man deceive you."
GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Armednfree,

Your thought is incorrect. I have now owned 5 assembly-line produced 6.5 Creedmoors, mostly because the first one shot so well (with factory ammunition) that I had to see if others would. So far none of them have cost over $650 new, and a couple have been less than $400. The LEAST accurate would put 5 shots inside an inch at 100 yards, again with factory ammo.

Again, this is major factor in the 6.5 Creedmoor's popularity--which none of the avid handloaders on the Campfire who've never shot a 6.5 Creedmoor will apparently ever begin to comprehend. Which is why threads like this keep reappearing: All you guys get to roll out the same rants, which must be fun, somehow or other.

The same can be said for my four .223 bolt guns or my 25-06's or my .308's but they are old and not worthy of mentioning anymore.

Rant? From what I've seen in both long range and hunting circles in my area, most shooters of a 6.5 Creedmoor take to much stock in their computer generated ballistics done on their smart phone. Thinking that rifle will make them the best shot in the county. Yeah right

Antelope with a 6.5 Creedmoor? Antelope ? Really ? I've shot all mine with a .223. An antelope is hardly IMO opinion "big game". Big gopher maybe

Last edited by recoiljunky; 07/19/19.

When you go afield take the kids. . . . . . . . and please, wear your seatbelts.
Alder, Montana Native. . Transplanted to Craig, Colorado.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by mathman
Like the TAC deniers who keep using H335 ...

Hey now, be nice. Thar ain't nuthin' TAC can do that H335 and a couple quarts of bore cleaner cain't do just as well..... wink

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GregW

Yep....

Seems like the Elmers on this board keep reproducing....

Bitter old white guys clinging to their God and their guns.....

and their .260s😛

As a certified bitter old white guy, I fully understand such feelings, but appreciate new stuff for the advantages offered, and don't naysay obvious progress. There can be good solid reasons for sticking with what's been working for you without having to piss and moan about new stuff.

When I started itching all over for a new, light .24, I bought a 6 CM, but then turned around and bought another "outdated" .243 because I got a great deal on a compelling rifle. Plan to use both to their best advantage, and mine.

What fresh Hell is this?
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Originally Posted by GregW

Yep....

Seems like the Elmers on this board keep reproducing....

Bitter old white guys clinging to their God and their guns.....

and their .260s😛

As a certified bitter old white guy, I fully understand such feelings, but appreciate new stuff for the advantages offered, and don't naysay obvious progress. There can be good solid reasons for sticking with what's been working for you without having to piss and moan about new stuff.

When I started itching all over for a new, light .24, I bought a 6 CM, but then turned around and bought another "outdated" .243 because I got a great deal on a compelling rifle. Plan to use both to their best advantage, and mine.

My first rifle was a .260 and what I learned to reload with.

Same/same but if starting anew the Creed checks many more boxes....

Have a great fall...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
[quote=260Remguy]

EDIT: As launched and for many years afterward, Remington made their 260s with a 1-9" ROT, marginal for many bullets weighing over 130 grains.[/quote
more than just marginal more like plain inadequate. My SA M700 with a ss 260 Rem barrel off a Mountain rifle has the 1in 9 twist and plain doesn't shoot much over 100 grs with a damn. MB

" Cheapest velocity in the world comes from a long barrel and I sure do like them. MB "
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
7mm-08, bitches!

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
[quote=260Remguy]

EDIT: As launched and for many years afterward, Remington made their 260s with a 1-9" ROT, marginal for many bullets weighing over 130 grains.[/quote
more than just marginal more like plain inadequate. My SA M700 with a ss 260 Rem barrel off a Mountain rifle has the 1in 9 twist and plain doesn't shoot much over 100 grs with a damn. MB

My old Mountain Rifle shoots 140 Amax, 140 Partitions and 140 Hornady SP’s excellent. The main 2 bullets I shoots are the 129 Hornady and the 120 Nosler BT.

I wonder if your barrel is a 10 twist.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
T
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
T
More nomenclature panty waddin.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Armednfree,
Also have a Tikka .260, which shoots very well with handloads, but I had to work over the magazine to get even common hunting bullets to seat near the lands--where they shoot best.

I did the same thing to mine to run 140gr VLDs (also modified the bolt stop) before the Creedmoor craze, and don't feel the need to change.

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Dude, it’s a fuggin creedmore, it just has more ump and magical powers no other cartridge has ever had nor is capable of having!

Fück Joe byron
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Really ? I've shot all mine with a .223. An antelope is hardly IMO opinion "big game". Big gopher maybe

Drifting off topic. My brother and I were talking about going for antelope. I was thinking a fast twist 22-250 would be the ticket. I was thinking a 65 gr. SBT GameKing would work well.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm still waiting for Shrap to chime in...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
"The 257 Roberts is my Creedmoor. It's better because it's older."

Close enough?

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
recoiljunky,

Where did this come from? It certainly wasn't in my post. "Antelope with a 6.5 Creedmoor? Antelope ? Really ? I've shot all mine with a .223. An antelope is hardly IMO opinion "big game". Big gopher maybe."

While the 6.5 Creedmoor certainly works on antelope (I've used it myself), have also seen it work fine on big mule deer and bull elk. This isn't surprising, since the 6.5x55 (and similar 6.5's like the .260) have been doing the same thing for quite a while.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I hope the trend continues.

Personally I would like to see some more light weight .264 offerings.

120 grains and down.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I hope the trend continues.

Personally I would like to see some more light weight .264 offerings.

120 grains and down.

What's missing in those weights that you'd like to see?

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
I would like to see a cup and core offering in the 100 grain range that is cheaper and easier to find than the 100 grain Ballistic Tip.

Heck....a 90 or and 85 grain hunting bullet would be good too.

I am MAGA.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
One more general observation: Where were all you guys when the .300 WSM became the screaming rage after it was introduced in 2001?

I joined the Campfire in 2001, and hardly saw any rants about how all the .300 WSM did was duplicate the ballistics of the .300 H&H, which had been around almost as long as the 6.5x55. Why not? Were you only 50 then, so hadn't yet the old man's tendency to rant about anything new?

Might also note that while the .300 WSM is still around 18 years later, the big sales boom only lasted a few years., and I believe the .300 Winchester Magnum is outselling it now.

But 6.5 Creedmoor sales have been growing since it was introduced in 2007. Partly that's because it did NOT appear 2-3 years ago as many people seem to believe, and there was NOT a bunch of publicity surrounding its introduction, as there was with the .300 WSM, because it was introduced as a target round. It wasn't until hunters started trying it and began reporting how well it worked that rifles companies started introducing many hunting models, and the round really took off.

I bought the first hunting rifle chambered for the 6.5 Creedmoor that I ever laid eyes on, a new Ruger 77 Hawkeye with a (gasp!) walnut stock. It was in a local sportings goods store, and the guy who ran the gun department (whose idea of a new-fangled rifle cartridge is the .280 Remington) told me other folks were reporting great accuracy.

But I didn't just go ahead and buy it. Instead I phoned one of my magazine editors and asked if he would be interested in an article on the 6.5 Creedmoor. He was, so I bought it, and some factory ammo. The very first group it shot at 100 yards, with that ammo, was .6 inch--and that was FIVE shots, on three.

That editor eventually (like some of you guys) eventually grew sick of hearing about 6.5 Creedmoor, so decided not to run any more articles on it unless he absolutely had to. However, about a month ago he called me and ASKED me to include some 6.5 Creedmoor results in an upcominhg article on some new bullets. Why? Because readers had started complaining that they weren't getting enough 6.5 Creedmoor information in the magazine.

So no, the 6.5 Creedmoor's popularity wasn't due to an intense PR campaign to turn it into the latest fad. Instead the interest grew from people who started using it for hunting, and unlike many other rounds that did turn out to be fads or semi-fads, sales continue to grow 12 years after it appeared. This many not make you happy, but so far I haven't heard of anybody FORCING shooters to buy 6.5 Creedmoors.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
One more general observation: Where were all you guys when the .300 WSM became the screaming rage after it was introduced in 2001?

Never bought one. Why? because a 300 Weatherby, Winchester or H&H are better and they no feeding issues. As to the Creedmoor, I don't have one because EVERYONE now does...Even if it is arguably the best cartridge introduced since the 257 Weatherby smile

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,336 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,469
Posts18,471,386
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.