Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bwana_1

I probably have more experience that 50% of the members put together, in deck and construction.

That's funny.....you come across as if you are some punk azzed 22 year old kid.

I've ran into people with attitudes just like you'res, it becomes a learning disability because you are under the impression you know so much more than others you've stopped listening and learning.

Most all the time, people that have this impression of themselves actually know very little because they have tuned others out for so long.

Best thing about your type is you are easily detected, around one of my job sites you wouldn't stand a chance of lasting a full day.

Screen name choice is a hint but you think you have more experience than 50% of the members here put together? That says it all...GFY

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
But, but, but........He is a PROFESSIONAL, clearly.

FJB & FJT
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mines 12-14 years old, pt 4”x4” posts, pt 2”x6” framing on 16” centers, love the stuff, no staining, rot, slivers etc. scrub it down once a year looks like new...
[Linked Image]

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I can't bad enough things about the Trex decking we had installed. It is coming apart with the top 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch of the deck simply vanished. It is coming apart at an alarming rate. The contractor that installed it is no longer in business.

This stuff is light gray in color...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffA

I probably have more experience that 50% of the members put together, in deck and construction.

That's funny.....you come across as if you are some punk azzed 22 year old kid.

I've ran into people with attitudes just like you'res, it becomes a learning disability because you are under the impression you know so much more than others you've stopped listening and learning.

Most all the time, people that have this impression of themselves actually know very little because they have tuned others out for so long.

Best thing about your type is you are easily detected, around one of my job sites you wouldn't stand a chance of lasting a full day.

Screen name choice is a hint but you think you have more experience than 50% of the members here put together? That says it all...GFY

Actaully you sound like the punk, and wouldn't last 1 hour on the job sites I'm on...but you go girl, you have all the answers lol

PS: Obviously you're too dumb to know what "Bwana" actually means, more proof of your intellect.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Judman
Mines 12-14 years old, pt 4”x4” posts, pt 2”x6” framing on 16” centers, love the stuff, no staining, rot, slivers etc. scrub it down once a year looks like new...
[Linked Image]

Time to rework those railing, brotha....Put it on mama’s list of things you need to do. 😬😎

Curiosity Killed the Cat & The Prairie Dog
“Molon Labe”
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cedar is a good answer to a lot of things wet...Not cheap for clear grade sticks, but less than Trex. 😎

“Molon Labe”
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Beaver10
[Linked Image]

Time to rework those railing, brotha....Put it on mama’s list of things you need to do. 😬😎

🖕🏿

I’ll just re stain em!! 🤣

Ain’t easy havin pals.
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Treated 2x6 is another option if you don't like composites or the expense of redwood or cedar. If you use treated lumber though, you need to use ACQ approved fasteners or they will dissolve in a few years.

For deck longevity you need to consider the framing as well. If you don't protect the tops of the joists you will have rot anyplace you have butt joints. I use either metal flashing or the more recent rubber-like tape made for the purpose. I used treated joists on my own deck with cedar 2x6s and its been exposed to Flathead Valley weather for twenty years. Far as I can tell it's still solid but it is weathered since I gave up trying to keep a finish on it. Wood looks pretty when its new but if you want it to stay that way you become a slave to it. I keep it shoveled off in the winter but don't know how much good that does. I do it as much for access to the birdfeeders as anything. And I don't have to put up with waiting for 2 feet of snow to melt off in the spring if I want to go out on the deck on a nice March day.

Also, metal flashing looks nicer if the under side of the deck is visible. If you have it bent so its a quarter inch wider than the joists water won't run down the sides of the joists and leave stain marks. The chemical in modern treated wood will react with plain galvinized metal as well so beware of that. Don't know how the colored flashing material holds up when exposed to treated wood and moisture but I know galvinized sheet metal will rust through from the contact side in less than 5 years. Good Luck

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by CraigD
I can't bad enough things about the Trex decking we had installed. It is coming apart with the top 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch of the deck simply vanished. It is coming apart at an alarming rate. The contractor that installed it is no longer in business.

This stuff is light gray in color...

It sounds like it doesn't like real cold or real hot climates. I know they have made some improvements on the product the last few years, but maybe it's not great for up north.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B3

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well now, this thread doesn't give me the warm and fuzzy feeling at all.

We're getting ready to re-deck, with new railing, our 20 year old deck. The contractor we used for the kitchen and master bath gave us a price using something other than Trex. Came in at $22K. Another deck company gave us a price on some other stuff that they push and came in at $32K. Went back to the first guy and asked if there was something we could do to get the price down. So he gave us a price on Trex, but I think he gave us an option of 15 year, 20 year, and 25 year stuff if I remember correctly. But that might have been the other guy, looked at too much of it to remember. Anyway, he came back with a price of $16K. I couldn't believe it could come down that much by changing the material. I guess you get what you pay for, but I think she already signed the contract and sent them a check to get it going. Hope it holds up. My deck has 16" oc joists.

One of the first things I asked these guys was about shoveling snow. They all said to use a plastic snow shovel.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Definitely plastic shovel.

In all honesty, the one deck we have with Trex I can't complain about beyond wishing I'd have spaced a tad more.
The staining is most likely our fault for going 2-3 years without a good cleaning.
No chips, flaking, warping or anything of the sort.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did them Tndeer people builded u a dek?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I built our composite deck ten years ago and it still looks just like this. Very pleased with how it is holding up. Have a few little spots of discoloration here and there on a few of the darker boards, but still cleans up nicely with one power wash/summer. I did my homework before building and was lucky to find an overstock dealer just 45 min. away that had both colors available at $1/foot, so it saved us a bunch compared to local stores. Used the gray perimeter as this material had a Class A fire rating, so no problems with using our gas grill at the far end.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Proud_Dad; 07/19/19.

"Kids don't remember their best day of television."
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
[Linked Image]

What brand is that Judman, Trex?

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
No I don’t remember, it’s solid 5/4, not ribbed like trex

Ain’t easy havin pals.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Too bad you don't remember. I need to replace my decking next spring and that looks real nice. It's cedar now a rotting away. Always kept it stained too.

Fall seven times, stand up eight.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Beaver10
[Linked Image]

🖕🏿

I’ll just re stain em!! 🤣

LMAO. 😂🤣😎

🖕🏼🖕🏾🖕🏿

“Molon Labe”
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by huntsman22
Originally Posted by Raeford
Doesn't sound like many of you know how to install decks, nor follow mfg. installation specs.

Well, I had a Class A licensed builder help me replace mine due to having to support a partial roof to pull & replace, so not sure what you are saying?

class A builders don't use 18" centers.......

Thank you,

It's been common knowledge for decades that when using 5/4" lumber(1" nominal)that 12" joist spacing is the industry standard, when using 2" lumber(1 1/2" nominal) that 16" is sufficient. Anyone thinking that the composite material is more structurally sound than lumber, should quit reading the sales brochures.

Soooo, let's look at the common products available today

Removing substantial material from the bottom must help in strength right ? lol,,,,sure, ignore the 12" joist pattern and save yourself $50 on framing lumber. I'm sure it will pay rewards in deck longevity and help eliminate warping issues lol.

Now let's look at Trex 2018 vs Trex 2019 in the same version/model....the 2019 version is on top, must be even stronger huh ? lol

How about the correct mounting clips ?, the appropriate way to mount composite fascia boards ?, how bout butt and side plank spacing ?, planning on running a border strip, that's different mounting and product. Anybody that drives a deck screw through the face of a bonded composite deck product, is looking at failure. Steps ?, that's another conversation.

So I checked ALL of my decks[about 1,000 sg ft]
All originally built using 5/4 decking. One[exposed now has Trex], the Trex is 10 years old and original 5/4 wood is 20 years old.
ALL on 16" centers. Not one warped board to be found. Not even with the exposed boards we replaced[I reused those in other projects]. I had used a metal shovel early on and done some damage plus I was tired of near annual finish maintenance of those.
I suppose our builders won't be going to the Bwana school of deck building anytime soon.......

FJB & FJT
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
One part of my deck is 20+ years old and about 400 sq. ft., and it needs to be replaced... Lookin' at around $850, just for the wood... eek

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,252 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,944
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.