-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If in Billings or SLC I'd much rather go to Scheels than Cabelas.

The employees at Scheels are much better, inventory is better.

Twice my son has had employees in the Billings Scheels give him a handful of tokens for the hunting video game. When you ask to see a handgun they don't groan and roll their eyes.

In Cabelas anymore you are almost treated like a nuisance.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ralphie

Twice my son has had employees in the Billings Scheels give him a handful of tokens for the hunting video game. When you ask to see a handgun they don't groan and roll their eyes.

Any of those stores are little better than Sportsmans Warehouse. They are all just another retail outlet with dorks behind the counter with a safari shirt on and they think they know what they are talking about. I like Cabelas because they do have a premium gun room with some decent guns that you can't find anywhere else. Scheels used to have those guns, but not any more. You have to have X-ray vision to see a handgun in Scheels, the way they hide them under all the chain link glass...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Scheels is a very good store. I picked up a great deal on a Tikka Superlight .270 with Talley rings already installed in their used guns when I was in Billings. My son bought a matching .308. When we got home we found out both guns had 30mm talleys which was a big of a bummer but it worked out.

There is one in Rapid City too. They cover all sorts of sporting goods, but are a great store.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by Ralphie

Any of those stores are little better than Sportsmans Warehouse. They are all just another retail outlet with dorks behind the counter with a safari shirt on and they think they know what they are talking about. I like Cabelas because they do have a premium gun room with some decent guns that you can't find anywhere else. Scheels used to have those guns, but not any more. You have to have X-ray vision to see a handgun in Scheels, the way they hide them under all the chain link glass...

Nobody wants premium guns. Maybe if Cabelas would dump the premium guns they could have better inventory in the rest of the store. I used to look at the old levers in Cabelas, they would be there for years. Every time one of them sold, I thought, Hey, Shrap was here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by viking
I wonder if that’s why my Cabellas card switched last year. Idk. I had to much going on to care, as in a cheating wife.

Your Cabela's card switched because when Cabela's was bought by Bass Pro, their credit card business was split off. I don't know of any problems with the owner of the Cabela's card.. it's the handler for the Scheel's card that has taken anti-2A steps in the past (First Bank of Omaha).

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
In my experience the quality of guns in the high end section of Cabelas or Scheels is based on time and opportunity and location.

Scheels has some pretty Grade A schit from time to time.

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Originally Posted by viking
I wonder if that’s why my Cabellas card switched last year. Idk. I had to much going on to care, as in a cheating wife.

Your Cabela's card switched because when Cabela's was bought by Bass Pro, their credit card business was split off. I don't know of any problems with the owner of the Cabela's card.. it's the handler for the Scheel's card that has taken anti-2A steps in the past (First Bank of Omaha).

I paid my Cabelas card off. 9 months or so later I tried using it to order online. It didn't work so I checked into it. Here some twit in California used my card number to order songs or some chidt off some website. They closed my card for non payment. I reported it as fraud and wanted to redeem my points. They said they turned it over to their fraud dept. and it will be investigated. A few months passed, I called and they said they have no record of anything I was talking about. Didn't reissue a card or give me my points back.

Fugck Cabelas and the horse they rode in on!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The guns in the Fine Gun Room at the last 2 cabelas I have been in consisted of Ruger Americans and Glocks. Maybe a nice old S&W revolver every now again but I haven't seen a fine gun there in at least 4 years.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 1sgLunde
Originally Posted by bigfish9684
Originally Posted by deflave
Like a cabelas but better.

Much better.

+1

++1

This in spades. I still love Cabelas but after the purchase by Bass Pro it seems more a clothing store. I've been to a couple of Bass Pro shops and were nothing like what they turned my Cabelas into.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gristle
The guns in the Fine Gun Room at the last 2 cabelas I have been in consisted of Ruger Americans and Glocks. Maybe a nice old S&W revolver every now again but I haven't seen a fine gun there in at least 4 years.

Scheels doesn't even have a fine gun room. They all used to. They closed them all as far as I know (maybe not the Des Moines store?).

Now they have 10 to 20 used rifles lined up a rack on a wall.

I have local pawnshops that carry more used guns.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by dhart
I choose Scheels above most other chain sporting goods stores. At the one in Billings, MT at least, they have people who are helpful and actually may know something about what they're selling. I just bought a new Henry Golden Boy for $90 under what Cabelas wanted. At Cabelas they wouldn't even unlock the action so I could feel it. They said look at it, hold it and that's all. At Scheels, they wanted to show me all the guns I was interested in looking at. They cut the zip ties off the levers and unlocked the triggers. I'll never darken a Cabelas door again. About 15 years ago, at the old Billings Scheels I had the gun manager tell me to bring a Ruger Ultralite 204 back if I couldn't get it to shoot good enough to suit me. The gun was new. I sent it with a friend who worked over the trigger and the gun will shoot .75" with the right loads. Scheels has earned my business.

I understand that someone committed suicide at a Cabela's with an unlocked gun that he was looking at, so the policy is trigger locks on all firearms all the time, no exceptions.

One of the Gun Library guys told me that a gun counter clerk at one of the stores, he didn't say which one, knuckled under to the pressure a potential buyer was putting on him, took the lock off, and was fired on the spot.

I was at the Cabela's in Sidney, NE, what was their flag ship store, and the used gun selection was terrible, the worst that I've ever seen at a Cabela's. Sadly, the Cabela's that we knew is now little more than a BPS. I think that Johnny Morris would have been wise to let Cabela's run as an independent operating company for awhile, so that they could identify and merge/combine the best aspects of both BPS and Cabela's. It seems as though Cabela's is being turned into BPS, but with used gun.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Scheels doesn't even have a fine gun room. They all used to. They closed them all as far as I know (maybe not the Des Moines store?).

They do in Fargo.

Although, I'll admit to not knowing what is "fine" to some people and "fine" to me.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rooster7

They do in Fargo.

Although, I'll admit to not knowing what is "fine" to some people and "fine" to me.

In Omaha, the Fine Gun Room was turned into the Tactical AR room. The usually have around 40 used long guns, usually a 60/40 split one way or the other that varies depending on what season it is and what they are able to take in trade.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
In Omaha, the Fine Gun Room was turned into the Tactical AR room. The usually have around 40 used long guns, usually a 60/40 split one way or the other that varies depending on what season it is and what they are able to take in trade.

In Lincoln, Omaha, I think Des Moines.. From a retail point of view, it makes sense. That was a lot of valuable real estate not making much money since they priced most things too high to sell fast. From a customer view, I'm disappointed.

I was at the Cabela's in Sidney, NE, what was their flag ship store, and the used gun selection was terrible, the worst that I've ever seen at a Cabela's.

Now you do have to admit that there's hardly anybody living around Sidney to sell used guns to that store. Stop at the Kearney Cabelas sometime, their selection is always horrible. Just not enough folks around to buy guns from.

I think when Sidney was Cabela's headquarters that they made a special effort to travel and buy guns, or have used guns shipped from other stores. That's probably past now that it's not the headquarters.

In short: I think I've bought probably half a dozen guns from various Cabela's in 2018-2019. I haven't bought a single gun from a Scheels in maybe 5 years - not because I don't want to, but because they've never had anything I was interested in.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

In Lincoln, Omaha, I think Des Moines.. From a retail point of view, it makes sense. That was a lot of valuable real estate not making much money since they priced most things too high to sell fast. From a customer view, I'm disappointed.

I was at the Cabela's in Sidney, NE, what was their flag ship store, and the used gun selection was terrible, the worst that I've ever seen at a Cabela's.

Now you do have to admit that there's hardly anybody living around Sidney to sell used guns to that store. Stop at the Kearney Cabelas sometime, their selection is always horrible. Just not enough folks around to buy guns from.

I think when Sidney was Cabela's headquarters that they made a special effort to travel and buy guns, or have used guns shipped from other stores. That's probably past now that it's not the headquarters.

In short: I think I've bought probably half a dozen guns from various Cabela's in 2018-2019. I haven't bought a single gun from a Scheels in maybe 5 years - not because I don't want to, but because they've never had anything I was interested in.

Damn it’s not that there are so few to buy from, it’s because everybody has learned NOT to go to Cabelas or Scheels to sell as they hose you. 40 cents on the dollar typical 50 if you are damn lucky. I see 2-3 auctions advertised each week in a (free, mailed) paper out of Albion that have guns consigned. In fact I posted a link to an auction of I think 86 old Winchester’s, Colts and Sharps plus other memorabilia that I specifically advised them against going to those 2.
Quit blaming it on population and place the blame where it belongs.

Swifty
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I’ve never heard of Scheels, must be a Yankee chain.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by hanco
I’ve never heard of Scheels, must be a Yankee chain.

BROWSE BY TOP CITIES
Appleton Billings Bismarck Cedar Falls Coralville Eau Claire Eden Prairie Fargo Grand Forks Great Falls Johnstown Lincoln Mankato Milwaukee Minot Moorhead Omaha Overland Park Rapid City Rochester Sandy Sioux City Sioux Falls Sparks Springfield West Des Moines

Swifty
D
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
D
They are building one in the Colony in Texas

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I was at the Rochester mn one last night.

Simply outstanding.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A while back when Dennis and I drove up to Billongs to spend some time with Ivan (Bigbuck), after breakfast he suggested that we visit their new Scheel's store - which we did. I had never seen one and it was excellent - we spent quite some time there with our old buddy exploring an interesting venue (including ferris wheel) and stopping now and then to rest and talk. They had a deal going on .22RF ammo and we were able each to buy a carton of FED U M at a very good price. Still shooting it when needed - will use some at the upcoming SW gathering down here. Good memories - good store.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

670 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 16penny, 71 invisible), 3,311 guests, and 1,331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,484
Posts18,471,837
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.