Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
They are great scopes. I just posted one in the classifieds.

GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have an SHV 3-10X42 Forceplex non-illum and an NXS 2.5-10x42 with the mil-dot reticle, and for hunting I prefer the SHV/Forceplex. If I buy another one, it will be a hard decision whether it's illuminated or not.

10 power doesn't really display the need for a lot of parallax correction.

[Linked Image]

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Formidilosus

No, it does not exist. The closet you will get is the 3-10x SHV with ForcePlex reticle. Leave the elevation cap off.

Any concerns with running the SHV with caps off? I feel like NF wasn't recommending leaving the caps off but can't recall where that came from.

Wouldn't mind seeing the SS 3-9 HD with the same style turrets as the SS1-6 HD

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Any concerns with running the SHV with caps off?

No, other than there is no zero-stop. I simply wrote a scale reference and taped it to the objective bell, but the effort needed to turn the turret helps prevent accidental turning, making it less likely to inadvertently turn the turret.

Nightforce doesn't endorse leaving caps off, but I've not heard of any issues with the practice. I've not had any personal experience with problems by doing so, either.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The SHV scope is on my Mod. 70.338 Winny and I will head to the range soon. I use Talley QD rings and if the mounting distance on the scope barely made it. I am talking tight, but clamped on. I had to remove about an1/8 of an inch of material from the inside of the rear lever to secure the rings as it was hitting the scopes the power adjustment. So if any of you get this scope please do more research then I did.

The illumination control is good with the off capability between intensity settings. But, if I go up over 5 on the setting the illuminated part of the reticle starts moving to the left, very weird to me. I will read the book again and call Nightforce if needed. Not the end of the world as I don't think I will ever need it set over 3 or 4 for low light shooting.

I also did not realize it was made in Japan, which would not of been a deal breaker as I was going to have a reliable scope with reliable adjustments, no matter who made it.

How does it look, perfect to me on my custom "Classic Stainless" that has been my "gittterdone" beast slayer for many years

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I bore sighted the SHV and took a shot at about 60 yards, a couple inches low and bout 4 inches to the right. I used the wretched Lead Sled and had my Granddaughter move the reticle to the bullet hole and was on target for the 3rd shot. Turning the adjustment knobs on the SHV was a positive feeling and experience. It is so nice to have a scopes reticle move to the right place when it is adjusted.

The next trip to the range we will shoot to 300 yards and I won't be wasting ammo using a scope that does not have good adjustments. Eventually we will work our way out to 600 yards.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Yeah, it's nice to have the bullet holes appear where they're supposed to....

It's pretty easy to fit a zero-stop to an SHV. I did it with the 3-10x on my NULA .30-06--may post a photo of it soon.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Yeah, it's nice to have the bullet holes appear where they're supposed to....

It's pretty easy to fit a zero-stop to an SHV. I did it with the 3-10x on my NULA .30-06--may post a photo of it soon.

So true!

We were steering bullets at the last range session with an old burris 6x! Good times .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
MD and alwaysoutdoors,

I have not been this excited about and optic in a long time. Moving the turrets feels like a heavy duty go and stay where it should piece of engineering. I am also having the same thrill when I move the adjustments on the SWFA 3-9x42 and the big LRHSi 4.5-18x42 that is on my "range gun", a Tikka 6.5 Creed CTR.

It is like an instant improvement in my marksmanship. Shoot, read the target make the adjustments and smile. No more questioning my ability to deliver the shot at 100 yards from the bench, golly.

I see another 3-9 SWFA and SHV in my future.

I see a zero stop in my future, can I fit one to the SWFA 3-9 also?

IC B3

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1Akshooter
MD and alwaysoutdoors,

I have not been this excited about and optic in a long time. Moving the turrets feels like a heavy duty go and stay where it should piece of engineering. I am also having the same thrill when I move the adjustments on the SWFA 3-9x42 and the big LRHSi 4.5-18x42 that is on my "range gun", a Tikka 6.5 Creed CTR.

It is like an instant improvement in my marksmanship. Shoot, read the target make the adjustments and smile. No more questioning my ability to deliver the shot at 100 yards from the bench, golly.

I see another 3-9 SWFA and SHV in my future.

You need to come to Alaska rifle club shoots here at ft Richardson. Shoot out 600 yds with your Ctr.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I will give that some thought 79S. Is the place you shoot actually on the base and any issues bringing a weapon into the base? I have never shot to 600 yards, I need to practice so I could hit a circus tent at that range.

I think Teddy Roosevelt has a son buried there.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I will give that some thought 79S. Is the place you shoot actually on the base and any issues bringing a weapon into the base? I have never shot to 600 yards, I need to practice so I could hit a circus tent at that range.

I think Teddy Roosevelt has a son buried there.

No problem with weapons since it's on the the side with all the ranges. You are not going onto ft rich itself. So no registering weapons. Look up alaska rifle club they will have directions to the range etc. I felt the same way, I shoot ar tactical. I use a ar15 in 223 wylde with swfa 10x. Anyhow once you get your velocities and have a good 100yd zero, just turn your turrets and shoot. I use the hornady ballistic calculator for the most part it's pretty spot on. Aug 3rd we have a Saturday shoot. 300,500 and 600 yds. 60 rds plus sighers.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
i have seen it for sale on Sniper'sHide classifieds section a few times

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yep. A SH user makes and sells them.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
After getting my first SHV, I took a look at the elevation turret construction and found that (like the fixed-power SWFA's) it would allow a simple washer-type zero stop. So I took some measurements and went down to the local hardware store with the biggest selection of stuff. , taking along a dial caliper. Didn't find any washers or similar ready-made stuff that would work just right, like garden-hose washers work in the SWFA's. Eventually bought a PVC pipe coupler with approximately the right dimenions. It cost 69 cents, or maybe it was $1.69.

Anyway, took it home and cut a "washer" off it with a hacksaw, then used files to get the final dimensions right, and it works just fine. You can see it under the elevation turret.

[Linked Image]

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hope you don't mind making it bigger.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
After getting my first SHV, I took a look at the elevation turret construction and found that (like the fixed-power SWFA's) it would allow a simple washer-type zero stop. So I took some measurements and went down to the local hardware store with the biggest selection of stuff. , taking along a dial caliper. Didn't find any washers or similar ready-made stuff that would work just right, like garden-hose washers work in the SWFA's. Eventually bought a PVC pipe coupler with approximately the right dimenions. It cost 69 cents, or maybe it was $1.69.

Anyway, took it home and cut a "washer" off it with a hacksawn, then used files to get the final dimensions right, and it works just fine. You can see it under the elevation turret.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Wow, it would have cost NF a ton of money to make a simple zero stop. SMH

I have a friend whose Dad is a retired machinist, he has a lathe at home, has modified a delrin cleaning rod guide for me , I think I will have him make one of these.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That Nightforce would have been a great scope if it was FFP and had a Milquad reticle

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Myself, I prefer 2nd focal plane and a plex reticle for the hunting I do.

I have an NXS 2.5-10, and it is 2nd focal plane, but the mil-dot reticle isn't as good for hunting (in my situation) as a plex.

If the situation changes, I'll adapt the equipment to it.

It would be nice if they offered the SHV with 1st focal plane reticle, and a zero stop, both separate options. It is a top-tier hunting scope, no doubt.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

111 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 308ld, Anaconda, 35, 12 invisible), 1,495 guests, and 845 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,749
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.