Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Valvoline 0w-20 High Mileage vs. Mobil 1 same spec. Is there a real difference?

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Armednfree

Yes. I have a cousin who is a chemical Engineer with a competitor. He told me when I asked that question, that at that time, mobile 1 was the best on the market, and that his company could not touch it. This was perhaps 6-7 years ago, so there will be some change.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Use the proper weight and grade for your application .

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
I use Mobile 1 in my vehicles except Dodge truck. I use Shell in it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by hanco
I use Mobile 1 in my vehicles except Dodge truck. I use Shell in it.

I use Mobil 1 in gas engines and Rotella in diesels also.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B2

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Yes. Mobil 1 is a true synthetic and of the big oil co. US brands the only one that can be sold as "Full Synthetic" outside the US. My BIL was a maint supt. of a power plant and went to a lubrication seminar a few years ago and the question was asked by the engineer giving the training and he stated Mobil 1 is the best because all of the molecules are the same size. Will it truly make a difference? Only you experience will tell over time.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Mobil 1 was introduced in 1974. Over 50 Cup, Xfinity and Truck series teams use it. I use it in the 5.0 93 LX and the EcoBoost. Never an issue and wouldn’t consider anything else.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Try it and see. I use either Penzoil or Mobil 1 in my wife's Accord that calls for 0w20. I haven't seen any difference in fuel economy, but I also have not had to do any work on the car so far.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Armednfree

Mobil 1, Amsoil and Royal purple all use the highest quality base stocks in their oils. of the two choices you gave Mobil 1 will be your best choice.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Use the proper weight and grade for your application .

and all the plastic and electronic parts of the vehicle will fall apart around a perfectly good engine at some point in the distant future.......long after you have traded it in on something else and a couple of other people have owned it! laugh

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mobile 1 is the best.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Mobile 1 is the best.

Why?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Yes. Mobil 1 is a true synthetic and of the big oil co. US brands the only one that can be sold as "Full Synthetic" outside the US. My BIL was a maint supt. of a power plant and went to a lubrication seminar a few years ago and the question was asked by the engineer giving the training and he stated Mobil 1 is the best because all of the molecules are the same size. Will it truly make a difference? Only you experience will tell over time.

This seems to have merit.

It might answer "why?".

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Everything you wanted to know about oil and filters is right here:

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
What gets me with all of them is that they will do an ad campaign where they run an engine 24 hours a day and change the oil every 20k miles when that is the easiest possible thing for oil to handle.....then tear down the engine after 100k miles and show how clean it is. Duh? If they wanted to prove something, run the engine for 5 minutes a day every day for a year, maybe 2, never let the engine get warm and then analyze the oil and motor to see how things held up.....simulate granny driving.....the toughest thing for an oil to handle.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You guys all seem to have a love affair with Mobil 1 and Amsoil. Not me. I worked with a guy who was an Amsoil rep so after the engine was broken in I ran it in my '76 F-150 300 six for ten thousand miles (about half of what they say it is good for) with an Amsoil filter. Wayne had me pull a sample and send it in for an oil analysis. It came back with lots of fuel dilution and the base package totally depleted and suspended bearing material with a note to change it right away. The gear lube went right through the gearbox and differential seals. That was a carburetor engine in those days, so with cold weather starts the dilution was understandable.

Then I bought a turbo charged Saab and the previous owner had been using Mobil 1, so I did the same thing. That was when the stuff first hit the market and it was real thin like 0W20 when it first came out. Those turbo shafts ran on oil supported bushings because they ran at such high speed. It was on its third $750. turbo replacement when I sold it because it took out the oil seals from the heat. No turbos and no Mobil 1 for this consumer.

The Buick gets conventional Castrol every 2,000. miles. The GMC gets Castrol synthetic every 3,000. The truck gets Motocraft blend every 2000. I get rid of the dirt with more frequent changes. Never an engine problem since I changed away from Amsoil and Mobil 1.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
on the other hand , we have a Durango with the 4.7 motor we bought with 80000 miles on it

I first an it on Amsoil , but later switched to Mobile 1 because it was easier to get

235000 now on the clock and it is still going strong

oh , and I also run 10000 miles change intervals on the Mobile 1

unless you are running real severe city driving or offroad use , 2000 miles oil changes are a waste of good oil , IMO

Last edited by sdgunslinger; 07/20/19.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Six of one, half dozen of the other. I usually use Mobil 1 because it’s more likely to be in stock at wal-mart but I don’t think it’s any better, or worse, than the valvoline synthetic. They’re both really good. I’d just as soon use Castrol edge synthetic too. More important is using the right weight, spec, a good filter and changing it on the manufacture’s recommended interval.

I won’t use Amsoil, I don’t like the pyramid scheme marketing and their carnival barker style outlandish claims. There are too many good oils from reputable companies available that do what they say without resorting to the silly parlor tricks.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I used to use Amsoil oil but dont bother anymore. My cars are so old anyway so I use Shell oil for $1.99 qt on sale. Never have any issues at all. For my 05 GMC diesel I run Shell Rotella T6 and change about every 10 or 12K. Never had a problem with any oil and do not change very often. When we know we are going to junk a car we dont change oil My son junked a car the other day. We went 20k on the oil, then another 10K and junked it . Ran good too. I have gone to 200K on my cars several times and have gone 40K on my oil before junking them and still , no problems. Many boast and say, " I change mine every 2k and never had an engine problem. I never had one neither though.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I always use Motorcraft synthetic blend in my Mercury Mountaineer. My previous SUV was a 1998 Ford Explorer and it rec'd the same motor oil. This great running Ford had 242,000 miles on her when I sold it 5 years ago. Nothing wrong with it except for a little corrosion at the bottom of one door from Pennsylvania salted roads. The guy I sold it to is driving it with zero engine complaints. I change oil every 5,000 miles.

Sherwood

FIRE UP THE GRILL - is NOT catch and release!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 10ring1, 68 invisible), 3,004 guests, and 1,267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,491
Posts18,471,930
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.