Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D

RV TRAILER SINGLE OR DOUBLE AXLE?

How safe is a single axle trailer to tow versus a tandem axle in a tire blowout or other situation? I have had several smaller single axle trailers but none 18' or so.

I am looking at a different RV for hunting I currently have a double axle Artic Fox 19B but it needs some work and it is heavy. I tow with a 5.7 Liter Tundra and it has plenty of power and towing capacity (7100 lb) but the weight costs something in fuel consumption.

The trailer would be for one other hunter and myself. For more folks we put up tents, etc.

It looks like we could get one with a queen bed and bunks in 18' or so with a single axle. They are a good bit lighter and come with some nice off road packaged. They also have a lower initial cost by 5-7,000 dollars.

Thanks for your help,
Gary

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
More tires the better when carrying a load.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
[Linked Image]

I am MAGA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Morewood
More tires the better when carrying a load.

Yep. Always.

And a lot less likely to flip over if you have a blowout
Or fishtail

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/20/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I doubt you will notice a substantial increase in mileage. Most of the mileage penalty is wind resistance. My camper has dual axles and my boat is a single. I wish the boat was a dual just for peace of mind.

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Single axel, every bump and pot hole will beat the crap out of the trailer and everything in it.

Phil

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Back in MN, one of my wife's Nurse Buddies from work & her husband bought a boat just like mine...

We were heading to north Central MN to Cross Lake ( 18000 acre Lake)..

I had two axles on mine, and he had a single axel trailer... we both hit a road hazard on I 94...

both of us suffered a blow out....

I was able to control mine to get it stopped.. he wasn't so lucky..

Lost a brand new Sea Ray 24 ft Cabin Cruiser, before they ever were able to take it out in the water...

That sold me on dual axle on a trailer carry any type of weight on it...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
18' is a big ass single axle trailer.you will very rarely see one that size in single axle. I have a 19ft dual axle camper.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
get 2, much safer, easier on the RV, too

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
The only time I can think of that a single axle would be better is if your moving it my hand.Any other time a tandem is better much better.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I pulled a 19' Forest River R-Pod for hunting and had no problems with a single axle. It's all about the weight of the trailer. My current hunting trailer is a single axle. Dual axles are great for getting a smooth ride but you have twice as many chances for flats as with a single axle.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Seafire
Back in MN, one of my wife's Nurse Buddies from work & her husband bought a boat just like mine...

I had two axles on mine, and he had a single axel trailer... we both hit a road hazard on I 94...

Lost a brand new Sea Ray 24 ft Cabin Cruiser, before they ever were able to take it out in the water...

Holy crap, a 24' cabin cruiser on a single axle trailer; am I reading that correctly? That's stupid on about 43 levels.

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

WTF? A Sea Ray 24 would likely weigh close to 7000 pounds with the trailer, fueled and loaded with gear. Are there any trailer tires that are rated at 3500 pounds of capacity?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear

RV TRAILER SINGLE OR DOUBLE AXLE?

How safe is a single axle trailer to tow versus a tandem axle in a tire blowout or other situation? I have had several smaller single axle trailers but none 18' or so.

I am looking at a different RV for hunting I currently have a double axle Artic Fox 19B but it needs some work and it is heavy. I tow with a 5.7 Liter Tundra and it has plenty of power and towing capacity (7100 lb) but the weight costs something in fuel consumption.

The trailer would be for one other hunter and myself. For more folks we put up tents, etc.

It looks like we could get one with a queen bed and bunks in 18' or so with a single axle. They are a good bit lighter and come with some nice off road packaged. They also have a lower initial cost by 5-7,000 dollars.

Thanks for your help,
Gary

Hate to break it to you, but pulling any trailer with a Tundra is going to give you horrible mileage. I pull a 34' toyhauler with mine and I have visited with other Tundra owners that pull trailers and we all get about the same mileage.
As far as axles two are better than one in so many ways. And I am running 235/85/16 tires on my trailer that are 14 ply and rated single for 4800 lbs.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Greyghost
Single axel, every bump and pot hole will beat the crap out of the trailer and everything in it.

Phil

^^^^^
This, besides the obvious benefits of load and weight distribution, the walking beam design of a tandem axle will level out the ride of a trailer considerably.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by srwshooter
18' is a big ass single axle trailer.you will very rarely see one that size in single axle. I have a 19ft dual axle camper.

Yup. Usually a single axle up to 17'.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Did a dealer send him on his way with a single axle or did someone else screw him? I didn't know boat trailers that big were even made with a single axle (or even legal for on road). Something ain't right here.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Double for sure!

A
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I am a single axle fan. Have owned a 1,2 and 3 horse single axle horse trailers and now own 16’ gooseneck. Good tires and bearing maintenance are important. I have blown tires on most of these with no issues. Turning tight corners in rough country or anywhere for that matter is way easier on the tires when your not scrubbing them sideways across the rocks or pavement. Most of the flats on tandems are on the back tires and I’ve been told the front tire tips the nail or screw up and the second gets it. I also have tandems,tandem duals, and a triple axle. I saw a 20’ stock trailer with a single axle dual wheel the other day, my first. I might have to have one of those. I kind of like trailers.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Dictated by the weight of the trailer.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

382 members (16gage, 16penny, 12savage, 1936M71, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 48 invisible), 2,102 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,140
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.