Print Thread
Hop To
M
Mackey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I have been watching Gun Broker and other sites for a good used K3 Extreme to come on the market but to no avail. New ones cost soooo much and for a gun that I may or may not like, I’m reluctant to spend that much. Are the Extremes that rare? Or do the guys that buy them new just never give them up? Also, I see some K3’s (not Extremes) on Gun Broker that come with a Swarovski 3-10 scope. I personally think that’s too much scope for such a small gun (proportion and scale) and when I finally get mine, I will probably go with a smaller piece of glass. Maybe a Zeiss 1-8 or a Leupold 1-6. Comments? Anybody know where I can pickup a used Extreme? Not picky about caliber.

Mackey.

Mackey
GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
:::paging Geedubya:::

He shoots Merkel Single Shots.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes, Geedubya has an Extreme. Europeans seem to prefer bigger optics than we do. They do quite a bit of night hunting, which explains the common 56mm objective bells on some.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Mackey
I have been watching Gun Broker and other sites for a good used K3 Extreme to come on the market but to no avail. New ones cost soooo much and for a gun that I may or may not like, I’m reluctant to spend that much. Are the Extremes that rare? Or do the guys that buy them new just never give them up? Also, I see some K3’s (not Extremes) on Gun Broker that come with a Swarovski 3-10 scope. I personally think that’s too much scope for such a small gun (proportion and scale) and when I finally get mine, I will probably go with a smaller piece of glass. Maybe a Zeiss 1-8 or a Leupold 1-6. Comments? Anybody know where I can pickup a used Extreme? Not picky about caliber.

Mackey.

Sir,

Do Google search on "Merkel K3 Extrem" or "Merkel K3 Extreme" and see what you come up with. Several vids, an old listing of the Extrem I bought from Euro-Optic with an out of stock notice, and a listing of a 308 sold by Gulf Breeze Firearms. Anywho, that was the case the last time i did a search.

I only know of three, possibly four K3 "Extrem's,

One was sold by Gulf Breeze Firearms, I got one from Euro-optic for +/- $2,700 without the QD ring mounts which alone will set you back $450. I forget but another fellow that posts here or at Accurate reloading recently came by one but the price had gone up $1k. Other than that I know of the existence of no other Extrem's.

IMHO, the chances of acquiring a used Extrem for a reasonable price would be rater slim. Unless I was suffering from an "Extreme" case of financial embarassment, it would be one of the last to go. I continue to scour three different sites a couple times a week.

FWIW, the MerkelK1's and K3's in the Jagd Stutzen tend to bring a premium when they do sell. The half stock versions are typically more affordable.

IMHO, if you can come up with a half-stock in a viable caliber with ring mounts, scope and maybe even a hard case for $2,900 or below you've got a good deal. The case retails for $399, the mounts are usually $375+, A Swarovski Z3 3-10 will set you back $500 plus, and you've not yet accounted for the rifle. Just a word of advice, the 300 Win mag's recoil is rather lively in this lightweight rifle.

As to Over-scoping, well as you say, that is a personal matter.

[Linked Image]

Original 1.5-6 Zeiss on the 9.3 x 74R

3-9 Swaro on the K1 Jagd Stutzen in 7mm-08

I tend to over-scope in my old age,

[Linked Image]

K3 Extrem, Swaro 3-12, 270 Win

[Linked Image]

especially when I have a S&B ffp laying around un-used.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

As to you might not like it..........

When I first got interested in the Merkels years ago, I had never even seen one other than in pix. Finding specs on them was like searching for a needle in a haystack. I was worried about their diminutive size would make them seem like a toy. First time I got the web of my skin of my left hand between my index finger and thumb pinched when I closed the action, I realized they locked up like bank vaults. They are accurate, a joy to carry, have user adjustable trigger on the back left side of the trigger guard and are very easy on the eyes. Should you decide you do not like it, should you buy right you should be able to get out of said rifle with a relatively small downside. I find in general that entertainment, or education are not free, and even more pleasurable if you can profit from said.

I am now in search of a Merkel 141 ( double rifle on a 28 gauge frame) in 7 x 57, 8 x 57 or even 30-06. Problem is, when you can find one, no one wants to sell for the price I am willing to pay.

Se la vie!

ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/27/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
M
Mackey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
GWB, thanks for sharing some of your knowledge about K3’s. It sounds like they are indeed all I desire in a hunting rifle. I’ve definitely decided to get an EXTREME just because I like the size. The K3’s you show in your pics are all beautiful! And it looks like they shoot very well too. I will keep you posted on my search.

Mackey

Mackey
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Mackey, before you make your final decision, you should look at the Blaser K95. It's what the Merkel aspires to be. grin

M
Mackey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
OSU, I just looked at those and love them. I just looked on Gunbroker. 35 left hand Blaser k95 for sale. . O right hands for sale. . What’s up with that?

Mackey.

Mackey
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
There are RH models out there, you just need to watch and catch them when they come up. I have 2 K95’s, one being a Stutzen, both are left handed.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Mackey, before you make your final decision, you should look at the Blaser K95. It's what the Merkel aspires to be. grin

I have two of the K95's.

[Linked Image]

Top: 30-06 Springfield

Bottom 270 Win.

[Linked Image]

I've spent much more time with the 30-06 than the 270 as I've owned it longer and hunted it more. Both are sweet.

In the past, when I had not yet owned a K95, I often would say that my Merkels wanted to be Blasers when they grew up. After owning the Merkel Extrem, I'm not so sure.

[Linked Image]

and this K1 in 222 Rem is quite nice also.

Just one man's opinion.

BTW, If you can get the Blaser K95 for $2,700, that would be a great deal. I may stand to be proven wrong, but I figure it will go in th $3,000 to $3,400. What may help keep the price down is the fact that it may not have the Blaser Saddle Mount ($270-$400) and the fact that it is a 300 Win mag, whose recoil is a factor in this light rifle.

I'll not be bidding as I shot my wad yesterday.....

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/823943419

Ya!

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 07/30/19.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You're right, that would be a very good deal at any price under 3K. Download the 300 Win Mag to 30-06 or 308 velocities and begin looking for a smaller caliber barrel. I know of several barrels for sale.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Lovely stuff. Regrettably, I have a Henry budget.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dunno; kinda like that open grip on the Blaser. If my ship ever comes in, I might have to toodle on up to Eurooptics and finger a few to get the feel.

Used to make the trip up there when my son was playing B-ball at Penn College. Long drag, but doable.

What fresh Hell is this?
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I wish absolutely no harm come to Geedub and hope he's in excellent health, as he seems to be a super nice fellow! That said, when the day comes that he meets his maker, I sure would like an advance invitation to his estate sale!

GWB, you have one hell of a collection of fine guns and knives, friend! My hat's off to you, sir!

I have a K95 and love it. It's a great shooting, elegant, beautiful, light and handy little rifle. I can't say I've ever seen a Merkel K3 in the flesh, but it looks to have a very similar, if not exactly the same, tilting block action design.

Ted
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Don't get your hopes up; I'm still working on getting him to adopt me. One minor snag is I may actually be older than he is.

What fresh Hell is this?
J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
A friend told me if he had found his K3 in 6.5x57R earlier in life, he would have saved thousands of dollars trying to find the perfect rifle. laugh

Last edited by Joe; 08/18/19.

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can say that GW 7mm-08 is one fine rifle. Its like it was built just for me. I will own one someday

I've always been different with one foot over the line.....
M
Mackey Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
M
I’m still looking for an Extreme. Thanks for all the comments on this thread!

Mackey

Mackey

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

232 members (10gaugemag, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 338reddog, 39 invisible), 2,311 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,701
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.