Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by dale06

I have a car that I bought new just over years ago. It has the original battery and it seems to work just fine. But I’m thinking that it should be near end of life. I’ll keep the car 2-3 more years.
Any reason not to just go out and replace the battery now, rather than squeeze the last few month out of it?

If it ain't broke don't fix it......

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Usually I wait until they start acting up. I'll pull them out and check the date and take it to the battery shop and have them tested. If they're bad I replace them. I always buy the most cold cranking amps I can get.

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by 700LH
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Beat me to it....

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by dale06
Originally Posted by slumlord
Bet I've owned 50 cars

Never had a battery blow up, I've ran them dead, blast boosted them with 200 amps, cooked the cables off them, forgot about chargers and left them till they've boiled over. Ran some for 8,9,10 years.

Now way in hell I'd go buy a new $130 car battery just because it's approaching 2-3 yrs old.

What a worry wart, jeeze almighty

Actually it’s 4+ years old.

MOst OEM batteries are rated for 3-4 years max life. WAIT until it dies then call AAA unless you plan on a long roadtrip. Buy one with extended life, there are but a few battery manufacturers in the US anyway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

Dead car/truck battery at 11 pm at a Dennys off the Interstate is a pain in the ass. I replace them at three years whether they need it or not. Cheap insurance.

Solid advice.

The best advice given thus far. Taught my daughters to buy 60 month battery's and replace at 48-months. Standing around in the dark hoping a stranger jumping your car doesn't jump you first is a bad plan. $125 to $150 more or less for a battery is cheap insurnace.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hubert
I had a ford PU that I bought new. I had it for 12yrs and one morning I turned the key on and the Battery exploded. the battery was completely destroyed ,I had a hard time getting all the acid cleaned up, so now when the battery is at the end of its life I buy a new one, I don't try to keep using it until it dies or explodes. ( this was a matiance free battery)

LOL.

laugh

The Go To guy for car battery advice! grin

Originally Posted by Hubert
Several years ago I had a 1976 ford truck, it was 12 years old and when I went to start it the battery exploded when I turned the key on . It made a heck of a mess under my hood..so I would like to know how old a Battery can be and still be safe to use.. My current Chevy is a 2010 so the battery is 8 years old, I haven't had any problems with it yet but I don't want any more explosions.. the chevy dealer wants $1200 for a new battery plus $50.00 an hour to replace it. That is more money than I think is right for a new Battery.. so any experience people here that knows if any aftermarket batterys is as good as the original Battery?? please answer without all the crap that usually follows questions like this. Thanks

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...cs/13320478/truck-batteries#Post13320478

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
W
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
W
I'd say it depends on how the battery is used. If it never leaves the 'farm", I'd rum it a long time. I am no fan of being stuck, nor stranded.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
oem batteries a way better than anything available to us through the parts retailers...they must be built to a higher standard...
I have replaced the factory batteries with the same brand and size and they never last as long as the original...they want those batteries to last over 10 ys..

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
oem batteries a way better than anything available to us through the parts retailers...they must be built to a higher standard...
I have replaced the factory batteries with the same brand and size and they never last as long as the original...they want those batteries to last over 10 ys..

Are you sure about that?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

That rule sure applies to wrist watch batteries! laugh

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I made the rounds of the auto parts stores a couple of years ago. None of them load tested the battery; they just measured the output. When I asked them if it was a load test a couple of the testers made it clear that they did not know the difference between a load test and a resting output test.

When I get a slow start I just go to Walmart and get one of their base batteries, which seem to last long enough for the price.

Increasing my post count so people will buy stuff from me
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Otherwise, make sure you've got enough distilled water in it, that that you keep the terminals & cable clamps free of corrosion.

FC

Battery maintenance 101 right there. Amazing how many don't know it.

Originally Posted by SamOlson
That said some of the newer vehicles seem to need more juice at start up for the all the electronic chit. I've replaced the battery in my wife's car twice in the last 5-6 years. It won't even spin over when the battery 'dies'. Get some horsechit message on the screen....

Curious. Does you wife make a lot of short trips? If so, the alternator may not be running long enough to restore charge. Other thought is if it sits a lot in between drives, the same thing can happen. Charge due to leakage drops low, then the drive isn't enough to fully recharge.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think the batteries in my pickup are going on 8 years old?

That said some of the newer vehicles seem to need more juice at start up for the all the electronic chit. I've replaced the battery in my wife's car twice in the last 5-6 years. It won't even spin over when the battery 'dies'. Get some horsechit message on the screen....

Needless to say I've kept the 'bad' batteries and use them in old chit that can work on 12 volts or whatever they show on the tester.

Sam;
Good morning to you my cyber friend, I hope that the summer has been a good one for you folks - enough rain that the crops are growing and enough sun to make hay.

As always I'll state the proviso that I'm not a trained mechanic - but was in charge of maintaining a small fleet of vehicles for a construction firm for 5 years, ran a boat, RV, classic and exotic auto storage facility for 2 years and now am employed at a Big 3 auto dealership - so am not exactly unschooled on the subject either.

Not all replacement batteries are created equally by any stretch. If I'm keeping the vehicle for awhile and want to depend on it starting, I will personally buy/recommend an AC Delco branded battery.

Many parts retailers and suppliers have told me there's only a few battery manufacturers in North America now, but that doesn't mean that factory X batteries will be the same spec if they make them for "these guys" parts store as opposed to say AC Delco. Like a lot of manufactured items these days, they are made to the retailers spec and to a price point.

Some new cars have so much anti theft electronics going when the vehicle is off that the battery will only last a couple weeks without a tender on it. Ferrari, Corvette and some of the sportier BMW units come to mind here - they will kill a battery in short, short order.

Our 40th Anniversary Mustang which is an '04 is on it's 3rd battery in the 4 years we've owned it. Being only run 6 months a year combined with the anti theft system is just plain hard on batteries. I'll note I've been experimenting with solar trickle chargers and now that I'm running 2 of them it's a wee bit better, but not entirely cured with solar.

Edit to add - the Mustang also had a parasitic drain issue which killed one battery. It was a faulty alternator - but took a mechanic who knew what he was doing, as in not me - to find the problem!

On the tractor which is mainly used in winter, I use a battery tender which won't overcharge the battery and actually discharges it sometimes and then recharges it. Anyway they're not free - roughly $50 CDN for the one I'm using, but they do work in my experience.

Some folks have mentioned battery testers, but if they don't test the amps under load, it will only tell you if you've got a dead cell - not if we've got enough amps to run the system.

As well too, there's so many batteries now which are sealed, so testing the liquid level or quality isn't an option.

Then there is the fact that newer vehicles require more power to start them than many older ones. For instance as early as the '99 F150 we had, if there's not enough cranking amps available, the on board computers will not give the fuel system or the starting system the go ahead if enough amps aren't detected - so the auto door locks may work, as might the sound system, but it won't start.....

For sure and certain too - as an extension of the electronic power requirements - one has to keep the booster cables on much, much longer than we did when all the rigs had a mechanical fuel pump and carburetor.

Hopefully that was useful for you or someone else out there in the ether space this morning Sam - the experience of a guy who's likely boosted and/or tried to start 3-4 dozen different brands/types of rigs in the past half dozen years.

All the best to you all as we head into the fall Sam.

Dwayne

Last edited by BC30cal; 07/21/19. Reason: added for clarity - hopefully

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My cousin is a AC Delco distributor. He’s says by them from a dealer who sells a lot of batteries. Get um fresh. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by Gun_Geezer
Originally Posted by 284LUVR
Originally Posted by ClearAirTurbulence

Dead car/truck battery at 11 pm at a Dennys off the Interstate is a pain in the ass. I replace them at three years whether they need it or not. Cheap insurance.

Solid advice.

The best advice given thus far. Taught my daughters to buy 60 month battery's and replace at 48-months. Standing around in the dark hoping a stranger jumping your car doesn't jump you first is a bad plan. $125 to $150 more or less for a battery is cheap insurnace.

Or in a desert climate in the heat of the summer. No AC and it might be your wife who's out and about.

Cheap insurance, indeed. If you want to save a few bucks over the life of a battery, have at it.

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

Not true.

The first thing most people do (because many need to compensate for something), is buy a battery that exceeds OE spec. This usually means higher CCA, which translates into less heat dissipation and less life. In newer, gear reducted starting systems, exceeding OE spec is a waste. The other pitfall is that many times these are the batteries with the longest "warranty".

The other thing, if your all else equal, is that everything in a new vehicle is, well, new. Cables are clean, alternator brushes aren't blackened and the battery isn't one that's been sitting on a boat, warehouse or shelf.

That brings us to the next consideration, is the age of the aftermarket/replacement battery as it sits on the shelf. Many times they are discharged or slightly sulfated, meaning the charging system will not recover the battery to its full state of charge. Again, your gauge might say its charged, but unless the battery measures 1275-1300 on a hydrometer, it ain't...driving it, instead of charging it first, will create issues.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gringo Loco

Curious. Does you wife make a lot of short trips? If so, the alternator may not be running long enough to restore charge. Other thought is if it sits a lot in between drives, the same thing can happen. Charge due to leakage drops low, then the drive isn't enough to fully recharge.

Gringo, you nailed it. The vehicle sits for days at a time and then is usually only driven a few minutes to the grocery store.

I should either take it out and drive it once in awhile for an extended time and or leave it on a slow charge over night.

Originally Posted by BC30cal

Sam;
Good morning to you my cyber friend, I hope that the summer has been a good one for you folks - enough rain that the crops are growing and enough sun to make hay.

Our 40th Anniversary Mustang which is an '04 is on it's 3rd battery in the 4 years we've owned it. Being only run 6 months a year combined with the anti theft system is just plain hard on batteries. I'll note I've been experimenting with solar trickle chargers and now that I'm running 2 of them it's a wee bit better, but not entirely cured with solar.

Edit to add - the Mustang also had a parasitic drain issue which killed one battery. It was a faulty alternator - but took a mechanic who knew what he was doing, as in not me - to find the problem!

Good afternoon Dwayne, we were baling this morning and with all the rain lately things look really good. Green going into August is almost unheard of in this country!

Speaking of alternators I've had to replace the one on my 6.0 Ford diesel twice. They make it about 3 years and die.

The last one I just replaced a couple weeks ago and it was covered under warranty.

I pump a fair amount of diesel off the batteries(electric 25 gpm pump) and wonder if that doesn't have something to do with the short life span?

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Ford alternators burn up because their charge voltages are too high (beyond 14 volts)....

FWIW, any car that sits beyond 30 days (modern) needs a re charge, at best.

Sitting beyond 30 days with modern vehicles for battery health is the equivalent of a knife in the sidewall of a tire.

But what the [bleep] do I know.....

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Usually I wait until they start acting up. I'll pull them out and check the date and take it to the battery shop and have them tested. If they're bad I replace them. I always buy the most cold cranking amps I can get.

Please tell me why the highest CCA gets your vote; I've seen about 30 semi loads of defects that tell me otherwise.....

Does your battery shop use a hydrometer, or are they 20th century outfits with digital bullshit?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Replace my batteries every 4-5 years.With all the electronics on cars/truck these days cheaper than replacing the alternator.Price one of those puppies.When its -20 below 0 here in michigan I want my truck to start & not leave me stranded.For $130 its well worth it to me.

Last edited by coobie; 07/21/19.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

687 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 71 invisible), 3,291 guests, and 1,400 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,483
Posts18,471,815
Members73,936
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.