Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
BigFin Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Planning for this project started in July 2017. Two years later and five trips to Nevada, it is finally ready to go. Link is below

This is a story about average people doing extraordinary work on behalf of wild things, in this case, wild sheep. They give selflessly of their time and talent, not knowing who might benefit from their work. To them, it matters not what people benefit, for they know the wild sheep and other wildlife will benefit.

The older guys in this film are some of the first generation to start putting water on the landscape with man-made guzzlers. They didn't have a blueprint to follow, rather used hard work, trial and error, and determination to figure it out. As a result, Nevada went from less than 3,000 desert bighorns in 1989 to over 12,000 in 2019. A remarkable accomplishment in just thirty years.

Thanks to these volunteers who let us impose on them and their work. Few of the people we interviewed have ever drawn a sheep tag. Most have said it doesn't really matter. They continue to do this work as part of their passion for conservation. These are remarkable volunteers who have found a way to help wildlife with their time and talent. This same story exists in so many places for so many different species, where similar-minded volunteers do what they can, with what they have, to make a better place for the wild things they love.

Also, a big thanks to Wild Sheep Foundation, Mystery Ranch, and the Fraternity of the Desert Bighorn. Without all of them, the story would not have been told.

And if you are a volunteer in the conservation arena, no matter the species or effort, whether its your time, your talent, or your treasure, a big "Thank You."

My name is Randy Newberg and I approved this post. What is written is my opinion, and my opinion only.

"Hunt when you can. You're gonna run out of health before you run out of money."
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Awesome stuff Randy! Thanks for putting this content out there and double thanks for helping to put and keep wild sheep on the mountain!

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Randy,

Thank you for putting this together. We (Desert Wildlife Unlimited and SCI) have been doing this for years in the mountains along the Colorado river where it has been lined with concrete. We need more of these stories out there to illustrate what so many hunters do to give back not just sheep but all the wildlife that benefits from these drinkers.

Hopefully, we'll have another story for you regarding Pronghorn.

Thanks again.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I can see the end result. But, I can't quite figure out how this Guzzler works. Can you expound?

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Great work

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went"
Will Rogers
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

525 members (300_savage, 257 roberts, 222Sako, 257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 55 invisible), 2,716 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,685
Posts18,534,444
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.