Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
M
I don't watch TV and I fly a lot on long flights so I enjoy reading other things besides the "Fire" from time to time. A few really good reads.

Hell Divers Rodeo

Shadow Divers

With Wings Like Eagles

Red Platoon

Eat Fish, Wear Grundens, Drink Alaskan.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I am rereading some Mark Twain stuff. Still the best that ever was...

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER

I've been listening to a lot of audio books lately. A couple of years ago I downloaded some Mark Twain thinking I would let the kids listen on a long road trip. It wasn't long before I was trying to find the off switch--I can't reconcile the language for youngsters. I can only imagine what the call would be like after they get back to class. It is a true shame that the great art from the last couple of centuries is incompatible with current-day PC sensitivities. I hate bowing to the force but I don't want to set the kids up for this sort of drama that may unfold, either. Now that they are getting older maybe I can try again.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Let them read some Huck Finn.

In Twain’s humorous notice at the start of the novel, the author states:

“Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.”

Last edited by BOWSINGER; 07/22/19.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Anything by Pat McManus! The sillier the title the better.

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by headwatermike

I've been listening to a lot of audio books lately. A couple of years ago I downloaded some Mark Twain thinking I would let the kids listen on a long road trip. It wasn't long before I was trying to find the off switch--I can't reconcile the language for youngsters. I can only imagine what the call would be like after they get back to class. It is a true shame that the great art from the last couple of centuries is incompatible with current-day PC sensitivities. I hate bowing to the force but I don't want to set the kids up for this sort of drama that may unfold, either. Now that they are getting older maybe I can try again.

Better not let them read John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemingway, or Jack London. They wrote wonderful stories long before the left wing P.C. thought police came along.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
I
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I
Anything from Robert A Heilein's later years excluding "Number of the Beast" or "Stranger in a Strange Land".

Those were both too far into left field even for me in my youth.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

Better not let them read John Steinbeck, Ernest Hemingway, or Jack London. They wrote wonderful stories long before the left wing P.C. thought police came along.

L.W.

One of my all time favorites is Jack London’s, "Martin Eden". His sorta unofficial autobiography.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thought about re-reading the Journal of the Corps of Discovery, may still get to it.

But I found my copy of the book I quote in my sig line. It's a quite interesting take on man, greed, and a few other things.

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Found all of the Titus Bass series by Terry C Johnston in storage. Been a long time so reading them again. Great stuff.

IC B3

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Desperate Voyage: Caldwell
The Rivers Ran East: L. Clark
Wanderer: Hayden

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I never understood why I do not like reading. My last was likely 1985 when I graduated college. My wife blows through one a week and often has two running at the same time. The toilet one and the mobile one.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had read a couple of Hillerman's Leaphorn novels. Recently began chasing them down and reading them in order.

Also began re-reading 8.4, Peter Hernon's account of what could happen with the New Madrid seismic zone.

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I just finished Havilah Babcock's "My Health is Better in November", I had read it years ago and glad I re-acquired it. Great bird and dog book.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like some of the older Steven Hunter books. Point of Impact, Pale Horse Coming, Dirty White Boys, Hot Springs etc., Also enjoy the Mountain Man stuff from William Johnstone. I like the Preacher series a lot, he paints quite a picture of the early frontier.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Tis of interest, to me at least, that Twain employed a black butler, when that just wasn’t done. He was in charge over white staff members, which led to some sticky situations.

Twain was just reporting on the world as it was then, the n word being part of the venacular, and cussing has always been part and parcel to folks plying the rivers along with other trades.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anyone upset about Twain's language should listen to what passes for music lyrics these days. Twain is a choir boy in comparison.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Pudnhead Wilson is a fine example.....it makes pc folks writhe in pain.

One man with courage makes a majority....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
"Tough Trip Through Paradise 1878-1879," is a fantastic autobiography of Andrew Garcia -- who worked as a herder and packer for the U.S. Army in Montana before joining up with Beaver Tom to start a trapping operation. He married a Nez Perce woman and lived with the Pend d'Oreilles tribe for some time. The book paints a unique picture of Montana frontier life that I have not found in any other book.

"A man’s rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.” - Frederick Douglass
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1, interesting view of Garcia's Montana at that time.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (2500HD, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 16 invisible), 1,529 guests, and 912 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,242
Posts18,485,920
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.