Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thinking of a new rifle and wanted input from members on how their new Montana Rifle Company Xtreme X3 rifles are shooting. How cloose to advertised weight are they coming out? I own a X2 and like it but its a little heavy. Thinking I'd jump on the bandwagon and get the 6,5 Creedmoor, being as they don't offer the 6.5X55 anymore.I'm not a long range hunter, seems like a practical little cartridge.

Last edited by Switch; 07/20/19.
HR IC

O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
The only rifle MRC has offered in the past couple years that interested me was the XAR. A little under 6 lbs and available Left Hand. The XAR was just introduced at the SHOT show this year, and is already gone from their line up...

Looks like the new ownership is reducing the number of models as well as standard chamberings to streamline the line up. The little blurb on several pages indicates you can still special order non-standard chamberings.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

The reason the X2 is shooting good might be the extra weight.

Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times.
Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I've had a MRC American Standard Rifle for a few years now and can't complain about it. Originally in 270 Win I had it re-barrelled to 257 Roberts recently. It's always been accurate and reliable.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
As long as you never have to send it back for repair, they are fine. Customer service is awful. It took me over a month just to get in contact with them. 3 more months to get the rifle back, only to have to send it back again. I wil never buy another MRC. A quick search will turn up several threads about bad customer service.
My first issue was head spacing, couldn't chamber a round. Second issue was safety couldn't be engaged.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tanker8
As long as you never have to send it back for repair, they are fine. Customer service is awful. It took me over a month just to get in contact with them. 3 more months to get the rifle back, only to have to send it back again. I wil never buy another MRC. A quick search will turn up several threads about bad customer service.
My first issue was head spacing, couldn't chamber a round. Second issue was safety couldn't be engaged.

Yup

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I have an X3 in 26 Nosler. I haven't shot it much, yet, so I can't comment on accuracy. I like the rifle, but I am not sure it would be a good choice if looking to reduce weight. Though in 26 Nosler, I don't mind a little heft. If looking to go lightweight, I am a Kimber Montana man, myself.

I had to send the X3 back to MRC, and I actually got a good turnaround time with a properly done repair. Then I found the rifle had short action screws, so I fixed that myself. PM if you want more info.

S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by shinbone
I have an X3 in 26 Nosler. I haven't shot it much, yet, so I can't comment on accuracy. I like the rifle, but I am not sure it would be a good choice if looking to reduce weight. Though in 26 Nosler, I don't mind a little heft. If looking to go lightweight, I am a Kimber Montana man, myself.

I had to send the X3 back to MRC, and I actually got a good turnaround time with a properly done repair. Then I found the rifle had short action screws, so I fixed that myself. PM if you want more info.

Any idea what your set up weighs?

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Weight of a Montana Rifle Company X3 in 26 Nosler. Note this weight includes bases and the bottom half of scope rings.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

When did you have to send it back? There was a change of ownership at the beginning of the year. I am hoping customer service and quality control improves.

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
When did you have to send it back? There was a change of ownership at the beginning of the year. I am hoping customer service and quality control improves.

Shipped to MRC on December 4, 2018. Returned from MRC December 20, 2018.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
It took me almost the whole month of January to get them to send the shipping label. Shipped out the end of January and received back the 13th of April, only to find the safety was inoperable. This was after I was assured it had been verified for function.

I have 3 of them and they all shoot great, but won't buy another do to customer service.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
They feature a "Colorado Buck" edition, that alone should tell everyone something.

S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Weight of a Montana Rifle Company X3 in 26 Nosler. Note this weight includes bases and the bottom half of scope rings.

[Linked Image]

The web site says 6 Ppounds 11 Oz for the long action. This is what concerned me. Seems ity grew almost a pound in shipping! Does anyone own a new short action and could give me an actual weight? I hav e an older X2 in 280 and it is heavy! Scope and mounts a little over Pounds.

Last edited by Switch; 07/23/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tanker8
It took me almost the whole month of January to get them to send the shipping label. Shipped out the end of January and received back the 13th of April, only to find the safety was inoperable. This was after I was assured it had been verified for function.

I have 3 of them and they all shoot great, but won't buy another do to customer service.

That's unfortunate. I want to like the guns, but that kind of QC the first and second time coupled with slow turn around is unacceptable.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I was strongly considering a MRC but too many internet bugaboos. Reports are not good.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
It's been many years since I dealt with MRC. But it sounds like nothing has changed. If you get a good one, your fine and happy. If you get a bad one, your out of luck with the horrible customer service. Wouldn't touch them again after all the trouble I had. Sent my rifle back enough times I could have bought a new rifle with all the shipping costs. Never hunted with it the three years I had it because it was at the shop for so long each time.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The MRC 1999 action is a very good design, with some slightly improved details over the Winchester Model 70 design. (I am not saying the 1999 design is "better" than a M70, but it is not the lessor of the two, either). It is cast by the same company that casts Ruger actions, and is a made from a relatively hard alloy, so the initial fabrication is good. In other words, all the basics are there for it to be a good rifle action. Unfortunately, after a great start, MRC has trouble "bringing it home," and the finishing process lacks the attention necessary to make it a well-executed final product. This holds true for their barrels, as well. As such, the rifles are hit or miss, with some users happy and other users unhappy.

When shopping for a CRF action where light-weight is not a primary consideration, MRC rifles would be high on my list, but I would not buy one sight-unseen, Rather, I would want to personally examine the actual rifle to make sure all the finishing details were properly done. This would include running a bore scope through the barrel. Or, buy a used example that has already been "proven" by someone else. I understand this is probably more work than most people want to deal with.

JMHO

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I found a photo of the bare X3 in 26 Nosler on a scale:

[Linked Image]

S
Switch Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I found a photo of the bare X3 in 26 Nosler on a scale:

[Linked Image]

Looks like they're fudging a little on the weight. Web site says 6 Pounds 15 Oz. After reading previous posts I called and they are sticking to their story, told me " we got the X3 stock weight down from 4# on the X2 to 3# on the X3"! Really! B&C's are lighter than that. Looked really attractive but guess I'll pass, Looking at the 6.5 Creedmoor, I like a rifle around 71/2 to 8 pounds max with scope up. Thinking the short action X3 would end up around 8 1/2 pounds or more, scope up. Thats what my Ruger with walnut stock and 26" barrel weighs! Like the 24" barrel and action,but...........

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 1_deuce, 1badf350, 55 invisible), 2,167 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,283
Posts18,505,128
Members73,998
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.