Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or Carl Akeley.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Or W.T. Hornaday.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Or W.T. Hornaday.

W.T. Hornady is an interesting choice.
He wrote " Campfires in the Canadian Rockies" while visiting our valley in 1905. Every serious hu ter and local history buff has this book, originals sell for 800 00 or so at hunting/ wildlife fundraisers. Mount Hornady is viewed from my kitchen window and the country he explored is still largely unroaded.
I believe the group killed 3 rams( one dandy), numerous goats and a couple of Grizzlies in Sept 1905.
You can get a reprint fairly cheaply these days.
John, you are probably away ahead of the curve on this man- far beyond my knowledge...I just thought I would pass this along. Cheers

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
You might want to research Chuck Mawhinney as well. He had more confirmed kills than Hathcock, but not as much publicity,

A fact that a lot of people gloss over all the time.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Ted Riggs comes to mind.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Corbett

1Minute
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Jim Carmichael, a fellow Tennessean.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

My own Father.Wonderful woodsman and hunter. Cold fell large trees with a double bit ax quicker than most men with a chainsaw.

Could hit running deer with his 30-06 that were being chased through thick timber by hounds. Started taking me squirrel when I was barely six years old. I killed sixteen our first year with our dog brownie a border collie mix.

He was a veteran of World War Two and served in the Pacific. I was born when he was 48 years old and he poured his life into mine. He once saw an 18 year old thug armed with a butcher knife assaulting a young woman. Dad grabbed a broom and broke the handle off of it. He proceded to disarm the attacker,beat him into the ground,and hold him in a choke hold until Law Enforcement arrived.At the time he was 66 years old.

He squirrel hunted with a High Standard pistol,and he shot squirrels out of tall pines with it. He rabbit hunted with sling shot,and killed them running ahead of beagles with it.

Absolutely the best man and hunter I've ever seen.

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
what about hal wahl
Alaska gives out medals to their top four guides
hal held number one medal

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I'm 63 and have every American Rifleman from 48 to date, just gave away 30 years of shooting times. Read every book and magazine I could get my hands on as a kid. So, all of the above have had roles in my hunting life. My Dad had a biggest influence on me as a child because he loved to hunt upland game, and living between several big farms in MD, we had lots of it. He gave me the desire to hunt, and taught me to appreciate, and manage game humanely. Bell and Corbet, or Corbet and Bell, can't pick. But, it's my shooting buddies that keep me on my toes. Most have shot one or more disciplines of target shooting. I shot High Power in Junior High in military academy. One of the first things I learned was if you shoot at a big target, you will probably hit a big target, shoot at a small target, hit a small target. Bullet placement on game is mandatory, not optional. Usually after punching holes in paper we get board and start calling out pebbles on the berm for the other guys to pluck off. Our new target of the day is a bottle cap tacked to the back board on my range. The cap isn't the target, the tack in the middle is. This may be a little off topic, but not really. As a group of friends we hold each other to a higher standard, we take a lot of game, and we do it as humanely as possible. My hunting buddies are my inspiration.

I'm not greedy, I just want one of each.

Remember Ira Hayes

JoeMartin
IC B3

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
You might want to research Chuck Mawhinney as well. He had more confirmed kills than Hathcock, but not as much publicity,

Chuck Mawhinney presented a sniper trophy to my partner and I one year. Very quiet humble gentleman.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Very cool Mackay!!!!

Molon Labe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Mackay Sagebrush,

That's good to hear! I have never met him personally, but talked to him several times extensively on the phone while doing an article on his military career a few years ago. That's exactly how he came across.

He's also still a very avid big game hunter.

John Steinbeck
C
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
C
How about Clayton Mack?
He wrote a book called " White guys and Grizzly Bears". I found it entertaining and was written as he would of spoken.
It was highly entertaining, maybe stretched in places but Clayton was definitely experienced.
A fun read.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
don`t forget Carlos Hathcock shot leaders,generals, majors with one shot and many times alone . as two different snipers have told me Carlos Hathcock was the best and nobody in the world will ever be that good again. one of my friends was with Carlos Hathcock in Viet Nam and i get to hear stories you will never hear about. same with my good friend who was a ranger/sniper the first time America went over there to those sand countries for Bush senior. as said by this sniper one day i was eatin good food at the Whitehouse guarding the President at the Whitehouse ,the next mourning i was in a sand pit as a sniper for 40 some days eating those horrible MRE`S. this sniper said this about Carlos Hathcock he was the best and never will there ever be another sniper in the world as good as Carlos was. he also said he had respect for Chris Kyle too,but no respect for the actor Bradley Cooper he is a liberal gun hater and if Klye was alive he would be furious with Cooper who in real life hates all us gun people.

Last edited by pete53; 07/26/19.

LIFE NRA , we vote Red up here, Norseman
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a lot of respect for Carlos Hathcock, but I think if he was still with us he would say there are talented men as good, or better, who will carry on in his footsteps.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Steve Redgwell
I have a lot of respect for Carlos Hathcock, but I think if he was still with us he would say there are talented men as good, or better, who will carry on in his footsteps.

I’d agree with that. Different era as well.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Paul Schaefer from Montana . Founder of silver tip bows

Shot all his trophy animals with a recurve. No one comes close

https://www.grandviewoutdoors.com/bowhunting/paul-schafer-part-1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If we were just talking about Bear & Mountain Lion Hunters, ole Ben Lilly would be right at the top!
He probably had no equal when it came to hunting them down with a couple of dogs and dispatching them with a knife.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/26/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
What about this places very own Phil Shoemaker?

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (12344mag, 16penny, 007FJ, 02bfishn, 160user, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,490 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,437
Posts18,470,834
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.