Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by dale06
Good article
Retired at 61 and love it.

My plan is 62. I have 21 years to build on what I have. Hopefully it will work!

Camp is where you make it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bored? Hah.

LMAO.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Bored? Hah.

LMAO.

Yeah, like I tell the folks that ask when I'm going to get a part time job.
"You folks that can't see not working in retirement just don't have enough imagination."
Or a life for some of them.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 07/23/19. Reason: Punciation and spelink

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
House, 100 acres, cars, motorcycle and boats paid off before I retired.

Medical insurance for life, myself and my wife, thanks to working for half pay for the public education system for 30-something years. VA medical when necessary.

Work for cash, when and where I want, making more than I did when I had a real job. Pay taxes on the pittance pension I receive.

That's the "retirement" plan I've been living for almost 10 years!

Work hard and early, pay your bills, and coast to the finish line!

Ignorance can be fixed. Stupid is forever!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Bored? Hah.

LMAO.

Yeah, like I tell the folks that ask when I'm going to get a part time job.
"You folks that can't see not working in retirement just don't have enough imagination."
Or a life for some of them.

m_stevenson, I hear ya.

A part time job here just means putting up with rude azzholes from the 4 schithole corners of the earth that you just want to beat with a baton.

Not to mention, I make more $$$ doing nothing now than I ever did working for the man. smile

Bored? I don't think so.

LMAO.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
If anyone thinks retirement means boredom they are sadly mistaken. Wife and I are busier now than ever. She retired from her second career at 58, I retired from the USAF at age 39. I wouldn't go back to work for $50 an hour

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ready, no, then again I don't see myself ever completely retiring. 24 hours a week someplace probably.

But, on 4/30/24 I will report to work with everything I was issued in a big trash bag. I will have a change of clothes with me so absolutely everything is there. When I hear those gates close behind me it will be for the last time, never to enter my world again. I told the wife we ain't ready but I don't care. My out date is 4/30/24 and not a damn thing except death will stop me.

Welcome to Walmart. Really, selling guns is my strong suit. I can sell those guns because I know what I'm doing and I educate the customer rather than act like he's stupid and I'm superior. Hell, I walk into a gun shop as a customer and end up selling a gun.

The older I become the more I am convinced that the voice of honor in a man's heart is the voice of GOD.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Start early, take your 10% for investing FIRST, and if you can't afford toys after taking that share, don't buy the toys.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
The Dems think people that have IRA's and 401K's are wealthy. Do not put it past them to try to seize assets in the future.

I agree with you but it doesn't stop with the Dems unfortunately. The Republicans are sharpening their knives in preparation to attack public sector employees with pensions with every bit as much relish as the Democrats are eying those with IRAs and 401Ks. When people ... of either party ... have invested 30+ years of their lives and sacrificed to prepare for retirement, it's not right for anyone, of either party, to steal their savings or back out of contractual obligations which others have honored for decades.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't get divorced.... It will kill your 401k AND all of your other investments too !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Owl
Don't get divorced.... It will kill your 401k AND all of your other investments too !

Don't get married, then the issue won't come up.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Owl

I've known some to do that in their late 50's. The Man is almost always the winner in the $$$$ department after that.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I just retired 23 days ago at 56. I took an early reduced pension, but have a lot of savings and real estate that can support our retirement in comfort. My original plan back when I started was to retire at 59, but our financial situation was good enough to allow us freedom a little earlier. I don't know anybody who isn't enjoying retirement, and I doubt I'll have any problems making the adjustment. I wanted to retire when still young enough to hunt, fish, surf, hike and travel. I'll make knives in my spare time and can always go back to work if I need or want to. In my life time up here in Canada, real estate has been the best investment. Even the house we live in has quadrupled in value in 18 years. My only mistakes along the way was selling houses. If I'd hung on to all of them, I'd have retired before my pension could kick in.

Things I've learned along the way regarding the stock market:

"buy when there's blood in the streets"
"bulls make money, bears make money, pigs get slaughtered"

The previous advice about divorce is sound, although a friend of mine went through a divorce recently and said it was worth every penny. He said it was like having a 150lb tumor removed.

One of the benefits of being Canadian is not having to worry about health care.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Money is easy, time is hard. I could have retired 10 years before I did but had a fun job that paid very well. Retirement has to be experienced to be believed and there is a wonderful world out there to see and experience. Don't waste a moment of true freedom.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P

Originally Posted by lvmiker
Money is easy, time is hard. I could have retired 10 years before I did but had a fun job that paid very well. Retirement has to be experienced to be believed and there is a wonderful world out there to see and experience. Don't waste a moment of true freedom.

mike r

Yes, one can say “just one more year”, “just one more year” forever. There comes a point in one’s life when time is far more valuable than money.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Owl

Create a better life and income for yourself AFTER the divorce. Problem solved. Actually, problem non-existent and long forgotten. smile

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
this is where i make a comment about how smart i am and how good i have it so you can look at your situation and feel bad.

My diploma is a DD214
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I would not at all rule out that the government will make social security “means tested”. Meaning if you
managed your finances, saved a lot, have a 401k, or pension, or both, the government will eliminate or reduce your SS payment and give it to others who “need” it.
I don’t see this as imminent, but it sure could happen.

NRA Patron
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by rlott
My tactic: Don't retire. I've studied retirement and retired people. Seems pretty boring.

I work like a dog. I've got a million projects I can't do cause I never stop working. Can't wait to retire.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by dale06
I would not at all rule out that the government will make social security “means tested”. Meaning if you
managed your finances, saved a lot, have a 401k, or pension, or both, the government will eliminate or reduce your SS payment and give it to others who “need” it.
I don’t see this as imminent, but it sure could happen.

It's going to happen. My job is to make sure it doesn't matter if it does.

Now, granted, I don't really see myself fully retiring until my dotage, at least according to the current succession plan, and I expect to create an income well into my 70's, so I really don't much care about SS. The stinger would be if they means tested medicare. Can you imagine what the health insurance premiums would be at 90?

Sic Semper Tyrannis
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 673, 16 invisible), 1,648 guests, and 996 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,117
Posts18,483,482
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.