Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Spoken like a true "educator". How about discussing the intricacies of rebuilding a variable valve timing sequential fuel injection V-8 engine afterwards, before a jury of master mechanics, if you dare? I'll wager I'll be able to hold my own better under your form of inquisition!
Jerry
You're giving me the feeling that you don't actually understand the qualifications, role and responsibility of a "true educator" and that you don't really want to defend your earlier statements. Then again, maybe instead of trying to deflect to your area of "expertise", you might decide to try giving some solid evidence in the face of serious challenge.

As for your rejoinder about "discussing the intricacies of rebuilding a variable valve timing sequential fuel injection V-8 engine afterwards, before a jury of master mechanics", please note that I have claimed no expertise in your field of mechanics - nor have I stated such a bold stance as yours about one who is an "educator". That said, after we finish #1, I will be delighted to discuss the intricacies of rebuilding a variable valve timing sequential fuel injection V-8 engine, and probably would therein be able to learn some new things well beyond the engine rebuilds I have done in the past.. I would certainly dare do that with you.

And, in quid pro quo, after that, maybe you would care to discuss, before a group of learned persons, the development of the dodecaphonic approach to musical composition, particularly as exemplified in the serial technique and tone row works by Schoenberg and his students Webern and Berg.

I can't respond to your wager offer, as that sentence does not make much sense. I'm certainly not an inquisitor.in the historical sense, but do like to ask questions in order to learn.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by dassa
Public education will be the primary cause of the downfall of our nation.

This being the 50th celebration of the landing of the man on the moon you should do a little bit of research into how those individuals who were responsible for that mission were educated.

They sure as hell weren't "educated" by the current crop of Bolsheviks.

Kids now can't do basic math without calculators, they can't read or write cursive, they have no grasp of American history, they don't get any true social studies (what replaced it is social indoctrination and coercion).

^^^This^^^

Unfortunately, there aren’t many REAL teachers left in today’s Public School System. There are a few good ones left, however like the Campfire’s own Birdwatcher.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 07/23/19.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
My wife has been a teacher since 1989, but never supported the Leftist union. Sadly it has a lot of sway over of schools, which is one of the main problems with our schools. They consistently fight against inner city families that want vouchers so their children can escape the Liberal inner city school hell holes that they have helped to create. Yeah....they REALLY care about children....Just like most unions these days, they only care about money and power.

Last edited by reivertom; 07/23/19.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Talked to a friend's daughter the other day. She's in her first year at teacher's college.

I about had to gnaw my arm off to get away from her as she complained how unfairly teachers are paid and how she'll have to move to a state where abortions are legal.

Wow!

Politics is War by Other Means
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Talked to a friend's daughter the other day. She's in her first year at teacher's college.
I about had to gnaw my arm off to get away from her as she complained how unfairly teachers are paid and how she'll have to move to a state where abortions are legal.
Wow!
Wow, indeed. That ain't promising at all - does not sound like good teacher material, at all. Sorry you have some down moments there.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Wow!

She's in her first year of college, she doesn't know chit yet.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Wow!

Engineering pays better. Of course there are calculus courses to pass, and physics, chemistry, statics/dynamics, mechanics of materials, electromagnetics, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, circuits and signals, digital systems ...

Do well enough in those and you'll have a chance at being admitted to the upper division.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Jerry - still waiting to see what you provide and discuss your evidence regarding your general claim about those who are "Educators" - and then we could go on to discuss "rebuilding a variable valve timing sequential fuel injection V-8 engine." It would be good for me to become better educated on both topics. Then, as offered, we could move on to 20th Century orchestral composition..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Democrat-matriarchy, emasculating and dumbing down kids since the 1960s..
\

Plus, Plus on this issue. Cheers NC

don't judge until you have walked a mile in other persons' moccasins'
SUM QUOD SUM........HOMINEM TE ESSE MEMENTO
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R

Education majors are the new phy Ed majors

Easiest degree to obtain so it draws typically the poorest students who 30 years ago would not be accepted into college. Had more than one college professor tell that with education majors in his classes.

It used to be fairly rigorous 5 0 ago to get into teaching and a lot of bright females chose this major because unable to get into other career fields.

Originally Posted by MOGC

Wow!

She's in her first year of college, she doesn't know chit yet.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Sounds like too much work and my head hurts just thinking about taking a stem class. Heard that from a female Ed major.

A lot of lazy people go into teaching to get their 4 months vacation a year but feel they should make the same as someone who gets 2 weeks vacation a year.

Originally Posted by mathman

Wow!

Engineering pays better. Of course there are calculus courses to pass, and physics, chemistry, statics/dynamics, mechanics of materials, electromagnetics, fluid mechanics, thermodynamics, circuits and signals, digital systems ...

Do well enough in those and you'll have a chance at being admitted to the upper division.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
On the inside, I've experienced some lazy teachers at times, and some who were not very effective as teachers. Along the way, also met some people in teacher education who probably were not worth the time and resources being invested in their effort.

It is really easy for observers to highlight those, quote experiences with them and ridicule the breadth of public education on that basis, Quite often, those doing the ridicule were those who did not invest themselves in their own education to the degree necessary to gain the insight and equanimity needed to undertake valid critique of teachers in general and public education as a whole.. That's not difficult to picture, is it?

I would be among the last to give broad praise to the state of public school endeavors across the board today, and also among the last to take some of your general and casual anecdotes and try to extrapolate negatives to the overall situation. Well-educated people tend to not do such things.

There is no effort in this post to note or highlight some of the out-of-this-world great teachers and school leaders experienced over the years, or to try to explain the magnificent results of their investments and labor on behalf of public schools and students. Those among us who did our best to benefit from teachers in our schools are likely to realize and acknowledge the presence of those positives, which are at work even today. Carping and expression of bitterness are fairly easy. Making the effort to truly assess and critique with value is not easy.

I can't seem to remember the most recent Campfire thread about excellent teachers, or effective public schools, or bright and promising young folks headed into teaching careers. Wish I could.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
#1- great teachers stand out in our memories because they are so rare.

#2- public education is largely judged on the basis of its product: the students.

R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by nyrifleman
Originally Posted by dassa
Public education will be the primary cause of the downfall of our nation.

This being the 50th celebration of the landing of the man on the moon you should do a little bit of research into how those individuals who were responsible for that mission were educated.

my Dad was a high school science teacher and football and wrestling coach.He taught from the 60's to mid 90's.In the 60's through early 80's he could fail students who didn't do home work and not make the 70 per cent test average. then in mid 80's that all changed. Students who refused to do homework, failed tests passed.

Now we have teachers that can't pass 8th grade proficiency exams teaching tomorrow's leaders.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Blaming teachers for parents failures... births a new generation of snowflakes.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by MOGC
Blaming teachers for parents failures... births a new generation of snowflakes.

and the parents and lack of parents completes the problem

Went from the best educational systems in the world during the space race to mediocre

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

531 members (10ring1, 222ND, 160user, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,243 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,571
Posts18,531,909
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.