Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don’t know all the particulars as much as you. However, Sherman has my attention and from books and his quotes, I’m more than fairly sure vengeance for secession most certainly was his mindset. He took particular measure to destroy S. Carolina because they were the first State to do so.

This war differs from other wars, in this particular. We are not fighting armies but a hostile people, and must make old and young, rich and poor, feel the hard hand of war. William Tecumseh Sherman
Read more at https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/william_tecumseh_sherman_205668

“I have for some days held and controlled every avenue by which the people and garrison of Savannah can be supplied, and I am therefore justified in demanding the surrender of the city…I am prepared to grant liberal terms to the inhabitants and garrison; but should I be forced to resort to assault, or the slower and surer process of starvation, I shall then feel justified in resorting to the harshest measures, and shall make little effort to restrain my army—burning to avenge the national wrong which they attach to Savannah and other large cities which have been so prominent in dragging our country into civil war.”
― William T. Sherman, Memoirs of General W.T. Sherman

Last edited by battue; 07/23/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by battue
I don’t know all the particulars as much as you. However, Sherman has my attention and from books and his quotes, I’m more than fairly sure vengeance for secession most certainly was his mindset. He took particular measure to destroy S. Carolina because they were the first State to do so.

This war differs from other wars, in this particular. We are not fighting armies but a hostile people, and must make old and young, rich and poor, feel the hard hand of war. William Tecumseh Sherman

“I have for some days held and controlled every avenue by which the people and garrison of Savannah can be supplied, and I am therefore justified in demanding the surrender of the city…I am prepared to grant liberal terms to the inhabitants and garrison; but should I be forced to resort to assault, or the slower and surer process of starvation, I shall then feel justified in resorting to the harshest measures, and shall make little effort to restrain my army—burning to avenge the national wrong which they attach to Savannah and other large cities which have been so prominent in dragging our country into civil war.”
Sherman made Bloody Bill Anderson look like a shrinking violet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeBob
And the thing is, most of you on this thread are historical illiterates. Not every person from the North is a Yankee. Do your research and you’ll see where the Yankees came from, what sort of people they were, and then you can spot them and their literal and spiritual descendants today.
Spot-on.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Sherman made Bloody Bill Anderson look like a shrinking violet.

Lee was fortunate it was Meade and not Sherman at Gettysburg. Lee wouldn’t have walked away in the middle of the night. He would either have surrendered or never again set foot on Virginia soil.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
The thing is, Yankees never do that. They always know better.

But that's not really setting the bar very high now, is it ?

Writing here is Prohibited by the authorities.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Just so you know I don’t hate you. I know you are an assshole, but I don’t hate you for it.

We don’t hate you as long as you stay there, leave us the frick alone, and don’t tell us what to do. Do that and you’re fine. The thing is, Yankees never do that. They always know better.

This stuff directed at me or some other freakin Yankee? grin

Ok, I can understand Billy's motivation a little better. Ike hated the Germans, and Mac the Japanese, but regardless, neither ever deliberately targeted civilians.
Not all that different from Bloody Bill Anderson or Qauntrell. In their minds they were vengeance fighters too. Some guys can't tell the difference between acts of war and terrorism. Admittedly it's a fine line, but Nowadays they punish people for that.

"Grant was to go for Lee, and I was to go for Joe Johnson" Sherman on the conference he and Grant had in Cincinnati before Grant left for Washington.
Notice any differences in your quotes of Sherman versus mine?
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Hate to be such a stickler but isn’t the good General’s name really Joseph E. “Johnston" ?

( yeah I had to be an a-hole! 🤣🤣🤣🤣)

I believe Gen. Johnson was in the ANV. Wasn’t he? I could be wrong.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Well, you would know.

You were probably there.........

I am MAGA.
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Well, you would know.

You were probably there.........

Shucks, I was just a kid at the time! 😉

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Haha!

I am MAGA.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

Savannah gave up without a fight and Sherman presented the city to Lincoln as a Christmas present. They probably thought about putting up a fight but it was time for Christmas parties and bowl season was just starting. Just a little joke for those that know the place...... laugh

Last edited by RJY66; 07/24/19.

"Men must be governed by God or they will be ruled by tyrants". --- William Penn

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Neither deliberately target civilians?
The carpet bomb air raids over Germany killed civilians on a daily basis. An estimated 400,000 to 500,000 civilians.The A bomb is estimated to have killed somewhere around 200,000 civilians, and rather quickly.

Things most certainly have changed today and one of the reasons we become entangled in long term wars today. Sherman was willing to be nice, after you had enough.

Last edited by battue; 07/24/19.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Once again.

America didn't have a Civil War. A Civil War is two factions fighting for control of the country.

That didn't happen.

The war was the Federal Government imposing itself on a people who didn't want to be ruled by it any longer.

It's called tyranny.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Once again.

America didn't have a Civil War. A Civil War is two factions fighting for control of the country.

That didn't happen.

The war was the Federal Government imposing itself on a people who didn't want to be ruled by it any longer.

It's called tyranny.

Yeah, but America! Frick yeah! Coming to save the [bleep] day yeah!

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Antifa doesn’t want to abide by Federal or State law. Under your definition, they are nothing more than nice people that feel oppressed and want out.

Maybe you should join them in their fight against a tyranny?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Antifa doesn’t want to abide by Federal or State law. Under your definition, they are nothing more than nice people that feel oppressed and want out.

No,...they want to own you.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
It's so evident that the North meant to maintain control of the south that it shows downright stupidity to say anything else.

To compare Antifa to the secessionists who made up the south is one of the more stupid things I've seen anyone assert on here.

And that's saying something.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
And you are FOS. They see the government and big business as having control over their rights.

They are opposed to a right wing government which they feel is oppressive and not in their best interest. Thus going rogue is justifiable.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B

Maybe you should join them in their fight against a tyranny?

There's no reason to fight against tyranny when so many on the right, like yourself, continue to advocate it.

It's been said that a people get the government they deserve.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
You going to being wearing a mask? Probably best, since we know what you look like.

Page 9 of 15 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

112 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, AceBall, 13 invisible), 1,626 guests, and 1,003 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,831
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.