Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 41 of 49 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 48 49
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Well done Birdwatcher, great to see you achieving so much, I am enjoying following your trip.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Day 14: 41 miles 497 total.

Disappointing day, Rolled into the refinery town of Laurel on I 90 mid afternoon, stopped at a coffee shop to get on the net and catch up, by the time I was ready to roll and get past the confusion of Billings storm cells were looming, said fuggit and checked into a motel.

Only in the context of this trip would a 41 mile day on an 80lb bicycle be “disappointing”. 🙄

Tough day ahead today; forecast high 99, first Billings, then the climb out of the Yellowstone Valley. 90 miles to the LBH. 25 miles to a rest area, 43 miles to a place called Indian Arrow. On I 90 in the sun most of the way.

I know that a bicycle on the shoulder of an interstate irritates most, but from a cyclists perspective it’s one of the safest places to be.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
2 1/2 hours to get through and clear of Billings. I noticed this morning that my red cotton overshirt is white with salt from the sweat of the last two days.

Don’t feel salt cravings but I’m “salting up” (adding my NaCl and KCl mix to fountain drinks) at the last chaotic truck stop at the edge of town.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Your missing a big “cold front” today here in TX.
High today here is supposed to be only 85 😬

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Awesome, enjoy!

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Keep it up Birdie!

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment
In it is death and all you seek
(Quoted from "The Bleeding of the Stone" Ibrahim Al-Koni)

member of the cabal of dysfunctional squirrels?
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
50 mile day so far, resting up at a rest area 20 miles n of Hardin, my destination for today. 95+ degrees up here today, hot out there over the asphalt, but not as bad as TX, sunlight ain’t as intense up here.

Coming south from the Yellowstone River as I did I might be ballparking Custer’s route, so I’m experiencing slow and weary and hot on my way to the LBH, the wrong side of Hardin is supposed to be a rough town, so if’n I get stomped by Indians it’ll just complete the experience 🙂

LBH is just 14 miles from Hardin. Supposed to meet friends there mid morning tomorrow.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
don't let the Crows scalp ya.....

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I was given the treat of watching the Northern Cheyenne and Crow high school football teams get into a Braveheart style brawl one day in Crow Agency. One of the Northern Cheyenne on the line stood up, pointed at one of the Crow and yelled "You helped whitey out!" That was that.

I don't think they allow those two teams to play anymore.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by T_Inman
I was given the treat of watching the Northern Cheyenne and Crow high school football teams get into a Braveheart style brawl one day in Crow Agency. One of the Northern Cheyenne on the line stood up, pointed at one of the Crow and yelled "You helped whitey out!" That was that.

I don't think they allow those two teams to play anymore

Someone got smart?

Thanks for the humorous interlude T,

Geno

The desert is a true treasure for him who seeks refuge from men and the evil of men.
In it is contentment

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Well here I is sitting on the curb of the exact same truck stop in Hardin were I was 16 days and 570 miles ago.(73 mile day today).

Gotta put in two hours and 15 miles to the LBH to meet company first thing in the morning. Sun setting in 30 minutes. There’s hotels and a KOA just down the road. Seems so unimaginative though. I could sleep around the truck stop somewhere but OTOH I gotta be all bright eyed and bushy tailed tomorrow so gotta sleep well.

Decisions, decisions.....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sleeping at the truck stop doesn’t sound like a good idea.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Did it last time, on the sidewalk around the side, but that was like 3am.

Found a redneck campground in town, right across from the Indian convenience store. $26 free shower. Just got fogged, with mosquito spray from the old pickup making the rounds. Didn’t know people still did that grin

Gonna shower, set up the screen tent, and then go get a beer. Life is good 😎

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

Found a redneck campground in town, right across from the Indian convenience store. $26 free shower. Just got fogged, with mosquito spray from the old pickup making the rounds. Didn’t know people still did that grin

Cool. Sounds safer than the truck stop. The Natives will probably be too drunk to bother ya. 😜

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Cool. Sounds safer than the truck stop. The Natives will probably be too drunk to bother ya. 😜

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

The ones I asked directions from were laid back and friendly like most country folk. Same with the staff and customers when I bought my 1/2 gallon of milk. Two tattooed gang thugs did make a point of saying “wsup?” but mostly I figure ‘cause they couldn’t figure out my Shiek of Araby attire and they dress according to rules.

Same ol’ same ol’

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks for the update, I don't like to sweat all day, so I would not do what you are doing, but it's fun keeping up with you, I'd do that on a motor bike.

J Simoneaud

Supper's ready!! you have 2 choices, Eat or Don't eat.
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Two flats this morning! Second one was my fault for not finding the 5mm sliver of retread wire that caused the one I woke up to.

I was fixing it outside the homemade burrito shop and the owner came out and gave me a cold bottle of water. Steady stream of customers in and out, Indian, non-, and both. Big ol Indian says, “second flat huh? Maybe that means you’re supposed to stay in Hardin.” Hey, I could do worse.

At the McD’s getting my caffeine fix now, plainly the morning social center, mixed clientele, a bunch of old farmers.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Gonna hafta look up that place, sounds like an interesting town to visit if I ever make it back up that way.

Enjoy your time with friends

Geno

In it is contentment

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I haven't followed this closely but if you get near Sandpoint Idaho let me know.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Page 41 of 49 1 2 39 40 41 42 43 48 49

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (219DW, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 62 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,137 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,666
Posts18,513,054
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.