-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Before the first Gulf War came along, more Americans were killed in the Civil War than ALL of the other wars fought by American Troops COMBINED.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
GB1

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I’ve got evidence in writing one of my great great grand fathers was on a furlough and hid in a chimney cause he knowed he’d be killed by the dam Yankees this was bout the time of hunters raid on Lexington and Lynchburg Virginia I’ve heard stories about yankee wagons being ambushed by locals there used to be a marker not far from my home called yankee bin some body stole it and I can’t find anything that it ever existed

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I found this an interesting bit of research. N B Tanner’s factory was here in Bastrop Tx. A very small building. Perhapes 12 x 12. Still stands in town not far off SH 71.

http://americansocietyofarmscollect...ract-Rifles-of-the-Texas-State-Milit.pdf

Bob, is there a Historical Marker there ?

Yes! Building is still there too. About 3 or 4 blocks south of the courthouse.

Now
[Linked Image]

As it looked back in the ‘30’s
[Linked Image]

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/24/19.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Filthy yankees are still ruining our homeland. Look at the way they come and fill up subdivisions. Where I live was beautiful woods and pastures ten years ago. Today, subdivisions all around.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
I found this an interesting bit of research. N B Tanner’s factory was here in Bastrop Tx. A very small building. Perhapes 12 x 12. Still stands in town not far off SH 71.

http://americansocietyofarmscollect...ract-Rifles-of-the-Texas-State-Milit.pdf

Bob, is there a Historical Marker there ?

Yes! Building is still there too. About 3 or 4 blocks south of the courthouse.

Now
[Linked Image]

As it probably looked back in the ‘30’s
[Linked Image]

Cool!!! Thanks for posting that. Some amazing history where you live!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
You’re welcome Neal! Yeah! Lots went on here. I live on the old 1831 (Mexican) Joseph Rogers land grant. About 1/2 mile across the hayfield in front of my house is The old Josiah Wilbarger grant!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josiah_P._Wilbarger

Last edited by kaywoodie; 07/24/19.

Founder

WS

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Most of the meat of the history of the Civil War is always left out, the victor always gets the right to write history. If you really dive into what the men that fought that war thought, by reading some of the letters that these men wrote, you may see the war in a whole different light. I don't mean the historic accounts of the officers either. The controversy of the Civil war will always live on in the hearts of people. The era in our history produced violence and hatred that is still thriving even today.

I sometimes wonder when people talk about " it is their heritage" if they are actually talking about the Civil War or the Jim Crow era, where segregation began being enforced well after the end of the war.

I am not trying to stir the pot, but then again I am. I find some of information and opinions of a war that ended 154 years ago very interesting. I have my own opinions and I have read a ton of information about the civil war, but I am in no way an expert on the subject.

Oh and the question of what would have happened if the South had won, who knows, we may be speaking German or Japanese these days. Just my opinion.

In my mind it is time to let the past be the past, we don't owe anybody anything for what decisions our ancestors made back in that time. The issue of slavery is now just being used to create sympathy and attention for those that refuse to get out their and overcome the odds and the circumstance that they find themselves in. Those that refuse to rise above the situation and make life better for themselves. Those that are looking to cash in on the suffering of their ancestors.

I will not be one of those that will be apologizing for my ancestry or skin color anytime soon, what my ancestors did is what they did, and in no way shape or form will I be held accountable for their actions or beliefs. This is coming from a guy that has ancestors who fought and died on both sides of the Revolutionary War and the Civil War.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
History can never be erased wether right or wrong regardless blood was shed and lives were given for freedom or defense of states and homes all were Americans and heroic and should be remembered

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
This place is just too much. A thread on Evolution AND another on the Civil War. Both recreating facts and history and science and "new" math as if it were only personal opinion and beliefs that matter. Thanks for all the entertainment. smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You’re welcome Neal! Yeah! Lots went on here. I live on the old 1831 (Mexican) Joseph Rogers land grant. About 1/2 mile across the hayfield in front of my house is The old Josiah Wilbarger grant!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josiah_P._Wilbarger

I need to get down there some day and have you give me a tour!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374
Most of the meat of the history of the Civil War is always left out, the victor always gets the right to write history. If you really dive into what the men that fought that war thought, by reading some of the letters that these men wrote, you may see the war in a whole different light. I don't mean the historic accounts of the officers either. The controversy of the Civil war will always live on in the hearts of people. The era in our history produced violence and hatred that is still thriving even today.

I sometimes wonder when people talk about " it is their heritage" if they are actually talking about the Civil War or the Jim Crow era, where segregation began being enforced well after the end of the war.

I am not trying to stir the pot, but then again I am. I find some of information and opinions of a war that ended 154 years ago very interesting. I have my own opinions and I have read a ton of information about the civil war, but I am in no way an expert on the subject.

Oh and the question of what would have happened if the South had won, who knows, we may be speaking German or Japanese these days. Just my opinion.

In my mind it is time to let the past be the past, we don't owe anybody anything for what decisions our ancestors made back in that time. The issue of slavery is now just being used to create sympathy and attention for those that refuse to get out their and overcome the odds and the circumstance that they find themselves in. Those that refuse to rise above the situation and make life better for themselves. Those that are looking to cash in on the suffering of their ancestors.

I will not be one of those that will be apologizing for my ancestry or skin color anytime soon, what my ancestors did is what they did, and in no way shape or form will I be held accountable for their actions or beliefs. This is coming from a guy that has ancestors who fought and died on both sides of the Revolutionary War and the Civil War.

One thing about the Civil War is that the loser has got about as many books out as the victor.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The South was fighting to save Detroit.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Rugerfan4374

I will not be one of those that will be apologizing for my ancestry or skin color anytime soon, what my ancestors did is what they did, and in no way shape or form will I be held accountable for their actions or beliefs.

Best post yet.

"A Republic, if you can keep it." ~ B. Franklin
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder
Filthy yankees are still ruining our homeland. Look at the way they come and fill up subdivisions. Where I live was beautiful woods and pastures ten years ago. Today, subdivisions all around.

Don't feel pregnant. I assure you that it happens here in Pennsylvania too. Lotta my favorite hunting spots growing up are now somebody's back yard!

I read about the rifles recovered from Gettysburg, and the number of them being loaded with multiple rounds. I could forgive a guy one or two. In the heat of battle it'd be easy to forget or drop a percussion cap. But you think after 10 or 12 rounds they'd notice that the ramrod had gotten longer! laugh

Kaywoodie, I love to see history like that still standing. So much of it disappears over time. One of the really cool things about living near Route 30 here in Pennsylvania is the number of books about "The Lincoln Highway" corridor. There are still a number of toll houses from the 1830s when it was the Bedford/Chambersburg Pike.
Some of the small towns never change. Other than the cars in the driveways they look like they did 80 years ago.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by riflegunbuilder

Damn shame your southern landholder neighbors all sold out on you. Sold out for the big developer dollars and left you high and dry. What are the odds there were some Southern home builders involved in the deal also. Sucking up those Yankee dollars and not giving a rotton pecan thought about you.

Some of you are like the old movie cartoons. Something to laugh at and nothing more.

Last edited by battue; 07/25/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
"Bedford/Chambersburg"

Two really cool schools of Pennsylvania rifles!!!! I do like me some Pennsylvania rifles!!!

Founder

WS

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
"Bedford/Chambersburg"

Two really cool schools of Pennsylvania rifles!!!! I do like me some Pennsylvania rifles!!!

Freesone peaches grown in the Chambersburg area are some of the best grown anywhere. And right now they are at their peak.

I'll put them up against any Georgia peach ever grown, and I wish they would keep their Georgia peaches down there where they belong. To even be in the same store and next to a Chambersburg peach PMO. laugh

Last edited by battue; 07/25/19.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
This spring was pretty wet. First crop here were a bit watery. Later peaches were pretty good! All my trees succumbed years ago. Never replanted. But old son and neighbor share! There’s are pretty tasty.

Founder

WS

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Newest addition to the pile. Restocked Lancaster style contract rifle. .54 calibre

[Linked Image]

Founder

WS

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Newest addition to the pile. Restocked Lancaster style contract rifle. .54 calibre

[Linked Image]

Very nice!!!!

Page 11 of 15 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

586 members (1minute, 10Glocks, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1936M71, 62 invisible), 2,341 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,707
Posts18,513,889
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.