Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Bill here, hope the weekend will be good for all. Do ya hear some of the fur prices????? Wow, if we could have got those prices I'd be trapping again so fast. Tom caught a beaver on a recent show, worth $500.00 don't ya know!!!!!!!! Ridiculous??? Bill out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The reason they don't shoot the lions is easy-- they get paid to run them off time and again.
If they kill the lions, they have no job.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
I love it when they get stranded somewhere remote and act as if they are in a life threatening situation. Think the damn camera crew might be able to help?

That is pretty funny... the 47 of them.

LMAO.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Don't know how true, but Tom says $500 for a beaver cause the skin is only part. He also makes gloves from the tail which he says are worth a couple hundred. He does go to jamboreers etc to sell his stuff and he is back logged.

Haven't seen it this year, other than 1 time, the new mountain lion guy is a downgrade. One funny thing I noticed they say they have to "find" the dogs and keep in range via sound, all the time the gps is on their belt and the dogs have collars.

My guess is Rich hung it up, he got busted up pretty bad last year. Fell out of a tree.

I get a kick out of Marty, living remote for months. And tom's cool old guy

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Rooster7
I've been watching this evening. Morgan flies his AIRPLANE out to set 30 traps to catch some fur to sell in order to have enough money to buy protein to survive the winter.

He caught two Pine Martin.

As he's getting back in his AIRPLANE, he says "now I gotta go home and find stuff to sell so I can buy some protein."

Ummm.....how about sell your FUGHKING AIRLPLANE?!

Kind of like the Gold Miners working all summer for $2,000 but show up next season in new trucks with new camp trailers not to mention brand new excavators, dump trucks etc. The show itself must pay pretty good.........

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B2

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by GWPGUY
Bill here, hope the weekend will be good for all. Do ya hear some of the fur prices????? Wow, if we could have got those prices I'd be trapping again so fast. Tom caught a beaver on a recent show, worth $500.00 don't ya know!!!!!!!! Ridiculous??? Bill out. πŸΎπŸ‘£πŸΎπŸ‘£

That was the episode I watched last night. He said he makes money off the castoreum glands and makes knife sheaths and other stuff out of the tail. But yeah, the fur prices they talk about on there would have me out in a heart beat too!

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
All these "reality" shows are probably total nonsense. Just taking from my own area of experience, "Axemen" is ridiculous. Independent loggers, "gyppos" are serious , intelligent, small business owners. Their goal , like any contractor, is to extract the maximum profit from any given job, as long as it is consistent with safety (one of the highest operating costs is workmens compensation insurance and business liability insurance), customer satisfaction (the mill that usually buys the timber sale), and the most efficient way to achieve good production without undue wear and tear on his equipment. Gyppo loggers do NOT compete to see who gets the most production. They only compete in the sense that two or more loggers may be asked by the mill to enter competing bids on any given job. Often, because of past performance, a mill may not seek additional bids, and give the job to a logger with whom they have had a good history with. Do tempers flare on a job? Sure, occasionally...but I don't think it's anything unique to the logging industry, and it usually gets settled fast. Anybody that doesn't fit well in the team, usually moves on to someplace where they fit better. TV manufactured drama is BS and easy to spot.

Well this is a fine pickle we're in, should'a listened to Joe McCarthy and George Orwell I guess.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
"But, the biggest joke on the show in Eustace Conway, and his Turtle Island. I've read that he's pretty much fake."

He's had so many drug related run ins with the Watauga county sheriff that he should be doing time. Just another burnt out hippie from the 60's.

I remember someone on here saying Eustace would come into town and like to be around the young girls - maybe he got that from Biden, or vice versa.

Good way to get your ass shot if you ask me.

Last edited by tpcollins; 07/26/19.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
The intelligence bar these programs must clear ain't set that high. Remember, we are talking about a general population that elected Obama, not once, but TWICE!

They believe anything on the TeeVee and will continue doing so right up to the "Get in the boxcar and STFU" command is given.

Imagine a corporate oligarchy so effective, so advanced and fine tuned that its citizens still call it a democracy.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
How about Mick Dodge

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Went fishing with one of the boats from the OBX version of Tuna wars or whatever the [bleep] it's called. Wasn't intentional, just happened to be the guy taking us out after booking through a bait shop here on Carolla.
Don't want to put his or the boats name out there.... We had the best time we've ever had on a charter.....he was great with the 4 kids we took and caught 42 fish in 4 hours.

Anyway, he told us that the show is heavily staged. Buyers paying no where near the price shown on the show, dragging cinder blocks, staged arguments and fighting etc... Sounds like the northern boats are the "Stars" and get paid $500,000/boat and local boys here get $25,000 a boat. That's why there's a lot of new faces on new episodes.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by old_willys

I also could not under stand why they did not put down any of the mountain lions especially the one hanging near the school yard one season.

Killing Lions isn't PC......instead he "ran em out of the country".

Everybody knows a Lion could never find it's way back to it's home range.

R
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Partsman
How about Mick Dodge

Isn't that the guy that walked to a beach to swim naked with another dude? sick

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Originally Posted by Partsman
How about Mick Dodge

Isn't that the guy that walked to a beach to swim naked with another dude? sick

Think they were actually anal 'noodling'!!!!!

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by flintlocke
All these "reality" shows are probably total nonsense. Just taking from my own area of experience, "Axemen" is ridiculous. Independent loggers, "gyppos" are serious , intelligent, small business owners. Their goal , like any contractor, is to extract the maximum profit from any given job, as long as it is consistent with safety (one of the highest operating costs is workmens compensation insurance and business liability insurance), customer satisfaction (the mill that usually buys the timber sale), and the most efficient way to achieve good production without undue wear and tear on his equipment. Gyppo loggers do NOT compete to see who gets the most production. They only compete in the sense that two or more loggers may be asked by the mill to enter competing bids on any given job. Often, because of past performance, a mill may not seek additional bids, and give the job to a logger with whom they have had a good history with. Do tempers flare on a job? Sure, occasionally...but I don't think it's anything unique to the logging industry, and it usually gets settled fast. Anybody that doesn't fit well in the team, usually moves on to someplace where they fit better. TV manufactured drama is BS and easy to spot.

This was my experience too. I worked for a few different outfits up in Humboldt/Trinity County and one out of Klamath Falls. None of them were hesitant to let a guy go. I remember being on the landing one time with the boss and the faller threw a fit when he got his bar hung up. Boss heard him cussing up a storm and the next day he was gone.

Boss and his family had been active in the church as far back as I can remember as a kid. Great guy to work for even though I wasn't exactly a church goer.

I hate watching those shows because of the fake drama, but like it because logging was a blast.

Last edited by dodgefan; 07/26/19.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The only "reality" show that may be close to unstaged is "Port Protection." The struggle to live there is genuine, for sure. And the people appear to be just as genuine.

I'll watch that one, but no others.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JamesJr

Mountain Men is no different from any of the other reality shows, in that it is heavily scripted, and edited to be as dramatic as possible. I remember one episode when Marty's snowmobile broke down miles from camp, in below zero weather, and he had to walk back to camp at night. Look, does anyone seriously believe that he actually walked all that way back to camp? There was a camera crew there, with their own snowmobile, who could have easily towed him back, or gave him a ride back...which they most assuredly did. But, it makes for a good show to make the viewers think that poor ole Marty froze his azz off walking miles back to camp.

But, the biggest joke on the show in Eustace Conway, and his Turtle Island. I've read that he's pretty much fake.

I have some 1st hand knowledge...................it's all pretty much fake, made-up BS & the relationship to reality is virtually non-existent.

The general areas may be real, but the specific settings are 100% all scripted & phony.

Anybody wasting time watching a single minute of it need serious help.....................

MM

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Discovery cancelled the Last Alaskans. They pay the participants only $25K per season. It was unscripted and the camera crews were told to stick it a couple of different times. They re-upped Yukon Men and I can tell you that sucker is pretty darned fake.

M
MLC Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I always wonder how much they get paid.

Any politician who thinks they can fight the evil that has consumed the government is delusional or lying. There is no political solution.

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."
Winston Church
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
Dam I liked the Last Alaskans!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 1936M71, 12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugeman, 67 invisible), 2,278 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,672
Posts18,493,799
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.