Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 117 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 116 117
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by GunGeek
It's too bad Christians deny themselves the knowledge of evolution, because it's one of the coolest, and most fascinating aspects of nature.

Just a dose of 200 level college biology, physics, and chemistry is mind altering..... And I don't believe it forcludes Creation or the Almighty unless one chooses to see it that way..
I agree...I think they deny themselves by choice, but it doesn't have to be this way.

The problem with religious dogma is when it is faced with incontrovertible evidence to the contrary. The dogmatic holds to their dogma regardless...That's tragic. Oh, and dogmatic thought isn't exclusive to religion by a LONG shot. But when I was a Christian, I actively denied myself any deep study of evolution. It was when I saw massive hypocrisy in the church that I started educating myself beyond what religious dogma allows...and my mind was blown. Evolution is straight up bad ass...Such a cool field of study.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Gus
a really good prototype animal for current day conditions might be a goat type animal with 6 to 8 tits, 3 to four per side. they would have genes of the pit bull with jaws that would allow them to defend against coyotes, mtn lions, maybe even wolves. they could eat the thorns of cactus, and withstand rain storms and cold weather.

their young would be meaty, and very docile w/big canine teeth.

the demand for the sweetness, and tenderness of their meat would be much sought after by the denisons of the great cities. priced competitively the rancher, middle men, and the final consumer would all smile to no end.

bio-genetic engineering can help us find a way to that very spot. the worlds great bankers will applaud.

Wheat. Banana, holstein, corn......We've already been at it for a long time.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
the math is simply what happens to things that are better than their predecessor.

You have to wrap your mind around the one and only thing need for selection to happen, better things are those that produce more.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Evolution is straight up bad ass...Such a cool field of study.

That's always been how I've seen it, too.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by JoeBob

Well, Einstein, since you are such a stickler for terminology you should probably figure out that you’ve given the definition for micro evolution, which no one denies, instead of evolution.

Yah, please explain your thoughts on mutations again. LOL

When you are talking about new information that you would need to get from ancient simple life, you need new proteins to form new genes. The chances of one mutation in one protein fold is 10 to the 77th power. Now, there are many folds in a protein and many proteins in a gene. But then, assuming you get that, and you get altered DNA, DNA alone does not control the laying out of the body plan, the morphological plan. You could mutate DNA until the cows some home and it doesn’t change the plan. There are other factors at work. The life forms in that early Cambrian era had on average 50 cells with all the genes and proteins therein.

Darwinian evolution is not adequate to explain this jump from simple life forms with simple plans to new body parts laid out in new ways with new functions. That requires new information. Where did it come from? There are only about 10 to the 78th power particles in the entire universe and the odds of a viable mutation in a single protein fold is 10 to the 77th. The math is insurmountable.

I have thoughts on what happened, but I’m not going to make any claims. But I think it is pretty apparent that something happened or there is some mechanism that we do not understand as the math makes that jump pretty improbable.

You are so clueless.

To begin with, every human is natuarally born with mutations, on average somewhere between 50 to 100 alleles in a babe are different from either parent. We also see the same thing in "identical" twins. In really there will be about a 100 allele difference between the "identical" twins. Now extend the accumulation of those differences across a population, and across an extended period of time and the changes add up quickly.

But I wasn’t talking about humans. I was talking about the mutations that caused a fifty cell organism to develop an eye when nothing like that structure existed.

I am literally NOT arguing for the existence of God in this thread. I’m not even denying micro evolution. And maybe, I’m not even arguing a bit more than micro evolution in higher order animals. But to get from those simple animals to the higher ones, you need new information and the math makes the insertion of that information by random mutation unlikely. The earth simply isn’t old enough even if it is 4.5 billion years old. There haven’t been enough organisms.

Last edited by JoeBob; 07/25/19.
IC B2

G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by Gus
a really good prototype animal for current day conditions might be a goat type animal with 6 to 8 tits, 3 to four per side. they would have genes of the pit bull with jaws that would allow them to defend against coyotes, mtn lions, maybe even wolves. they could eat the thorns of cactus, and withstand rain storms and cold weather.

their young would be meaty, and very docile w/big canine teeth.

the demand for the sweetness, and tenderness of their meat would be much sought after by the denisons of the great cities. priced competitively the rancher, middle men, and the final consumer would all smile to no end.

bio-genetic engineering can help us find a way to that very spot. the worlds great bankers will applaud.

Wheat. Banana, holstein, corn......We've already been at it for a long time.

yeah we have. but the tempo is beginning to pick up a bit.

7 plus billion humans, all god's children that have to be fed,

educated, cared for, given jobs, etc. etc.

no tellin' where the next einstein might come?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Evolution is straight up bad ass...Such a cool field of study.

That's always been how I've seen it, too.
Earlier I gave the example of how Tiktaalik was found. That is so bad ass... Evolution helped them find where geographically, how deep to dig, and what specifically they should find. After a decade of search; they eventually found almost exactly what they were looking for.

Another predictive sign of evolution. Try to find evidence of a dinosaur 300 million years ago...its not there.

If it was all "created in an instant", why are there layers and layers of differing life forms? Why is it that they get more simple the deeper you dig (exactly what evolution predicts), and more complex in the more shallow layers. And all of this was predicted LONG before we began finding fossils en masse.

Evolution also predicts that you should find dinosaur features in birds...and we do; especially in fetal development.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hey Joe...

Take a look at fetal development. If there is no such thing as evolution, why do humans grow gills and tails as fetuses? Why do chickens do the same thing?

I
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I

Well, Einstein, since you are such a stickler for terminology you should probably figure out that you’ve given the definition for micro evolution, which no one denies, instead of evolution.

Yes, the problem is time scale. A man lives for maybe 100 yrs and can witness microevolution during his lifetime, so has no problem with the concept.

Mankind has "species memory" through oral traditions and written words which goes back maybe 10,000 years. Which is simply not enough time to record speciation, unless of course one is witnessing an extinction level event. In which case no one would survive to tell what went before.

But the micro evolution we witness over 100 years, easily yields new species if continued over one million or ten million years. And many branches of new species, genus, or even families over multiple millions of years.

As to mutations being lethal, I can name three new genes which appeared in the lineage of homo sapiens which lead to enhanced abilities and eventually spread throughout the species.

At one point in time a new gene appears in recovered bones of Home sapiens. That gene has been identified with development of the language center in the brain. Archeologists and paleontologists have discovered evidence that shows by the impression the brain leaves on the inside of the skull that the language center of the brain increased in size during the same time the gene appeared. They have also discovered evidence that suggests spoken language appeared at the same time.

The second mutation I will mention in the human genome is a gene which enhance artistic expression. Once again it has been shown that the lobe of the brain which gives artistic talent became enlarged at the same, and cave paintings appeared at that point in history.

The third mutation I will mention occured much more recently and is for a gene which allows production of the enzyme "lactase" in the human adult. Human populations which acquired this gene over came their competitors in the environment by adopting dairy animals and having consumable proteins and vitamin rich milk available year round.

The interesting thing about the lactase gene. It has appeared not once, but multiple times in disparate populations. Each time a totally different gene, but causing the body to produce lactase in each case.

Each case an example of a beneficial mutation furthering the evolution of the human species.

And, no, a harmful mutation does not wipe out a species. It is only harmful to the individual carrying the harmful mutation. That individual may reproduce at a slower rate, fail to reproduce, or even die. But in the grand scheme, the species does not notice the loss of an individual.

But when a beneficial mutation occurs and offspring carrying that new gene begin to overwhelm their conspecifics, that does impact the species as a whole. Therefor mutations can not harm a species, but they can help it.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
But nobody claims they just grew an eye with the next generation. Mutations are not limited to the change of one amino acid. Whole hunks of DNA can mutate when transferred. There's a whole body of science about this stuff.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Hey Joe...

Take a look at fetal development. If there is no such thing as evolution, why do humans grow gills and tails as fetuses? Why do chickens do the same thing?

[quote=GunGeek]

If you’re correct, I expect that we’ll eventually be able to take a dog fetus and turn it into a baby. But I wouldn’t hold my breath.

But once again, my primary objection is with the creation of the vast amount of information required to make the jump from the simple life forms to the higher forms. So, the fact that the higher animals share these features is not particularly surprising.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
But nobody claims they just grew an eye with the next generation. Mutations are not limited to the change of one amino acid. Whole hunks of DNA can mutate when transferred. There's a whole body of science about this stuff.

But we aren’t just talking about mutations. We are talking about viable mutations. Then beneficial mutations. Then viable, beneficial, and heritable mutations.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you’re correct, I expect that we’ll eventually be able to take a dog fetus and turn it into a baby. But I wouldn’t hold my breath
Sounds like science fiction...but would you believe me if I told you something very similar to that is going on right now? Paleontologist Jack Horner is methodically working his way through the steps necessary to turn a chicken back into a dinosaur. His team has identified the genes that turn on and turn off DNA instructions to create teeth, arms, and a tail. Took them 7 years to grow teeth in a chicken.

Last edited by GunGeek; 07/25/19.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

But we aren’t just talking about mutations. We are talking about viable mutations. Then beneficial mutations. Then viable, beneficial, and heritable mutations.
Yes...some are not viable for the individual with the mutation. No one denies that. However, you seem to be denying that unless the change is large enough to be lethal or clearly observable in our lifetimes; it's not legit. That's just not a logical way of looking at things.

DBT Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
JoeBob, you really need to learn biology. All of it.

Darwinian evolution is plenty sufficient with room to spare. You are so far behind the curve you don't even begin to understand what you don't understand. Your math is terrible too.

The math is the easiest part. It is rather simple and simply based on the possible number of amino acid combinations in a protein fold.

No JoeBob, you wouldn't know what to do with a protein fold if you found one. You are lost in a forest of trees, and can't even see the bark, much less the landscape.

That’s compelling. What do you say the math is?

What does the math say about magic... an invisible entity conjuring up a universe through the power of Word and Will?

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

If you’re correct, I expect that we’ll eventually be able to take a dog fetus and turn it into a baby. But I wouldn’t hold my breath
Sounds like science fiction...but would you believe me if I told you something very similar to that is going on right now? Paleontologist Jack Horner is methodically working his way through the steps necessary to turn a chicken back into a dinosaur. His team has identified the genes that turn on and turn off DNA instructions to create teeth, arms, and a tail. Took them 7 years to grow teeth in a chicken.

Yeah, but that’s kind of like turning a calf embryo into a Auroch as that a bird pretty much IS a dinosaur. Turn a bird into an elephant and I’ll be impressed.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J

Yes...some are not viable for the individual with the mutation. No one denies that. However, you seem to be denying that unless the change is large enough to be lethal or clearly observable in our lifetimes; it's not legit. That's just not a logical way of looking at things.

No, I’m just telling you that you can’t get there completely with small mutations. And that particularly applies in the period I am mainly discussing when lower order simple organisms developed new information to form all the body parts of higher form life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, but that’s kind of like turning a calf embryo into a Auroch as that a bird pretty much IS a dinosaur. Turn a bird into an elephant and I’ll be impressed.
How do you not see that statement as an admission of evolution?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

But I wasn’t talking about humans. I was talking about the mutations that caused a fifty cell organism to develop an eye when nothing like that structure existed.

I am literally NOT arguing for the existence of God in this thread. I’m not even denying micro evolution. And maybe, I’m not even arguing a bit more than micro evolution in higher order animals. But to get from those simple animals to the higher ones, you need new information and the math makes the insertion of that information by random mutation unlikely. The earth simply isn’t old enough even if it is 4.5 billion years old. There haven’t been enough organisms.

Now you're on to irreducible complexity.

The eye has evolved many times independently, by different mechanisms. It's not irreducibly complex. An example is where it starts with a light sensitive patch of cells merely for distinguishing light from darkness. A curvature of these cells gives the animal the ability to sense the direction of light. Increase the curvature, and eventually you've reached the pinhole (lensless) eye, like that on a nautilus.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by DBT
JoeBob, you really need to learn biology. All of it.

Darwinian evolution is plenty sufficient with room to spare. You are so far behind the curve you don't even begin to understand what you don't understand. Your math is terrible too.

The math is the easiest part. It is rather simple and simply based on the possible number of amino acid combinations in a protein fold.

No JoeBob, you wouldn't know what to do with a protein fold if you found one. You are lost in a forest of trees, and can't even see the bark, much less the landscape.

That’s compelling. What do you say the math is?

What does the math say about magic... an invisible entity conjuring up a universe through the power of Word and Will?

No less believable than saying, “Trust me. It just takes a lot of time.”

Page 7 of 117 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 116 117

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (35, 444Matt, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 6 invisible), 1,532 guests, and 750 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,298
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.