Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In my rush to crucify Sherman, I'd forgotten the very lenient surrender terms he offered Johnson once he'd finally been brought to bay.
Lincoln himself would probably have disapproved them had he been around.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Ah the truth comes out. You really didn't want to just "stir the pot", your goal was to crucify Sherman by association. Figured it as such.... CNN may be hiring, perhaps you should give their HR a call....

Last edited by battue; 07/26/19.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The North had to win so that one day, white people in the north could send poor, clitless, oppressed Ilhan Omar to Congress in order for America to be saved by diversity.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by k20350
Originally Posted by battue
Originally Posted by JoeBob
We don’t hate you as long as you stay there, leave us the frick alone, and don’t tell us what to do. Do that and you’re fine. The thing is, Yankees never do that. They always know better.

According to this post, you sound like you are more Yankee than Southern. You know everything about everyone above the line and have to tell all about it. And that is some funny schittt coming from you.

[Linked Image]

Historically speaking, I believe the artist had General Grant a bit over-dressed for the occassion! 🤣

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Bristoe
The North had to win so that one day, white people in the north could send poor, clitless, oppressed Ilhan Omar to Congress in order for America to be saved by diversity.

Despite the protestations of some on this board, it was all foreseeable. Or else, this guy had a time machine.

It is said that slavery is all we are fighting for, and if we give it up we give up all. Even if this were true, which we deny, slavery is not all our enemies are fighting for. It is merely the pretense to establish sectional superiority and a more centralized form of government, and to deprive us of our rights and liberties.

Last edited by JoeBob; 07/26/19.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rumor has it he was a little dusty and mudded up. smile

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Rumor has it he was a little dusty and mudded up. smile

So I’ve heard! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Founder

WS

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I didn't read the thread....

Did Lincoln want to send all the negroes back to Africa or not?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Not addressed here, but as you know, YES HE DID...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine

Francis Scott Key wanted to! And I believe he suceeded at getting a few back. More that Lincoln did!!!!

But he was only a lawyer, and not a president.

Founder

WS

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Since we are quickly moving along to how the CW effected modern day politics. Should we be thanking the South for LBJ and the Great Society-from which we may never recover-along with your most famous peanut farmer Mr. Caaarter- or didn't you refer to him as Mr. Jimmy-who must have done something. But i'll leave it to you to come up with it.

Last edited by battue; 07/26/19.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
More absurdity, if only back then there was a Trump. I would have voted for him just on the wall platform. Ya'll would have been knocking at the gates. "Let me in, let me in."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Ah the truth comes out. You really didn't want to just "stir the pot", your goal was to crucify Sherman by association. Figured it as such.... CNN may be hiring, perhaps you should give their HR a call....

grin CNN would never work out because I'll usually admit being wrong. (Although I did sorta double down myself here) laugh

One thing I picked up from Birdie's video about JEB Stuart that I overlooked before.
Power = Means X Will. Reduce means or will to zero, and it all ends up the same. Sherman was reducing will. I think he might have ended the war sooner had he gone after means, (The Army of Tennessee), but will was probably much cheaper in blood.
7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Been watching the Ken Burns series....

I’m sure everyone hates it. Seems the north was fine for fighting to preserve the Union, but sure didn’t want to fight for abolition, which apparently Lincoln wanted them to.

The tone of this thing certainly nods “patriotism” (of sorts) to the south. At least in spirit.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by 16bore
Been watching the Ken Burns series....

I’m sure everyone hates it. Seems the north was fine for fighting to preserve the Union, but sure didn’t want to fight for abolition, which apparently Lincoln wanted them to.

The tone of this thing certainly nods “patriotism” (of sorts) to the south. At least in spirit.

That was back before Southerners were NAZIS.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

Lee:

“I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union. It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation.”

Robert E. Lee

Last edited by battue; 07/31/19.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

Lee:

“I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than the dissolution of the Union. It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, and I am willing to sacrifice everything but honor for its preservation.”

Robert E. Lee

THIS.... Splitting the country up was and remains a STUPID notion...

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The entirety of it: re secession, a portion of a letter from Lee to his son....

"The South in my opinion has been aggrieved by the acts of the North as you say. I feel the aggression, & am willing to take every proper step for redress. It is the principle I contend for, not individual or private benefit. As an American citizen I take great pride in my country, her prosperity & institutions & would defend any State if her rights were invaded. But I can anticipate no greater calamity for the country than a dissolution of the Union. It would be an accumulation of all the evils we complain of, & I am willing to sacrifice every thing but honour for its preservation. I hope therefore that all Constitutional means will be exhausted, before there is a resort to force. Secession is nothing but revolution. The framers of our Constitution never exhausted so much labour, wisdom & forbearance in its formation & surrounded it with so many guards & securities, if it was intended to be broken by every member of the confederacy at will. It was intended for pepetual [sic] union, so expressed in the preamble,4 & for the establishment of a government, not a compact, which can only be dissolved by revolution or the consent of all the people in convention assembled. It is idle to talk of secession. Anarchy would have been established & not a government, by Washington, Hamilton, Jefferson, Madison & the other patriots of the Revolution. In 1808 when the New England States resisted Mr Jeffersons Imbargo law & the Hartford Convention assembled secession was termed treason by Virga statesmen. What can it be now? Still a union that can only be maintained by swords & bayonets, & in which strife & civil war are to take the place of brotherly love & kindness, has no charm for me. I shall mourn for my country, & for the welfare & progress of mankind. If the Union is dissolved & the government disrupted, I shall return to my native State & share the miseries of my people & save in her defence will draw my sword on none. Give much love to Charlotte to my dear little son & believe me always your devoted father"

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Still a union that can only be maintained by swords & bayonets, & in which strife & civil war are to take the place of brotherly love & kindness, has no charm for me. I shall mourn for my country, & for the welfare & progress of mankind. If the Union is dissolved & the government disrupted, I shall return to my native State & share the miseries of my people & save in her defence will draw my sword on none. Give much love to Charlotte to my dear little son & believe me always your devoted father"

Just thought I would highlight that part from Lee’s letter to his son.

Below is from Lee’s letter to Lord Acton after the war.

I can only say that while I have considered the preservation of the constitutional power of the General Government to be the foundation of our peace and safety at home and abroad, I yet believe that the maintenance of the rights and authority reserved to the states and to the people, not only essential to the adjustment and balance of the general system, but the safeguard to the continuance of a free government. I consider it as the chief source of stability to our political system, whereas the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded it.

Last edited by JoeBob; 07/31/19.
Page 13 of 15 1 2 11 12 13 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 1234, 219 Wasp, 1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 64 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,167 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,462
Posts18,529,152
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.